Brainworx bx_console AMEK 9099

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, what a beauty!!! :o

Sounds good, too :)
Rupert Neve designed analog sound with an incredible feature set
Released at the turn of the millennium with the slogan “Artistry in Analogue”, the Rupert Neve designed E 9098i Master Console was one of the highest achievements in analog console design. Today, it becomes Brainworx's most fully-featured console plugin with the release of the bx_console Amek 9099.

Musical EQs with comprehensive dynamic control
The AMEK 9099 has the kind of EQ you’d expect from a Rupert Neve design, with wide, musical curves, capable of tightening up enough to give you the precision you need without ever sounding “bad”. The dynamics section goes even further than the norm, with a fully variable expander, gate, compressor, and limiter, complete with extremely flexible sidechain capabilities.

Unique features not found in other consoles
The original AMEK 9098i was dotted with features not commonly found in analog consoles of its day. The EQ shelves feature a “Sheen” and “Glow” mode for even smoother boosts and cuts, while the parametric bands include a “Notch” mode for even more precise cuts. A unique “Ambience” switch in the dynamics section lets you easily hear exactly what your compressor is doing. And, the onboard EQ can operate as a fully parametric dynamics sidechain filter for even more precise control of your compressor and limiter.

More features than any other bx_console plugin
The engineers at Brainworx improved on a good thing by adding parameters not found on the original hardware. They added on a special “Clip” function in the limiter for super fast and smooth soft clipping and created a new fully functional expander/gate with its own sidechain filter, inspired by legendary analog gear. And, for the first time ever in a bx_console plugin, there’s even an onboard Mono Maker, Stereo Width and Auto Listen control.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... _9099.html
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Beauty? it looks like some kid ate crayons and puked on the screen.
Shadows obscure details.
Text is barely readable. Everything is cramped, there's barely any definition between different processing parts.
You have some stupid "leds" next to buttons that only further confuse the already cramped interface loaded with LEDs, with extremely poor distinction between on/off state with button alone.
They need new beta-testers...

I do like the meters tho, i'm a sucker for these oldschool style bars.

This is not my run of the mill PA bashing, i think some of their GUIs look great and are functional. This just doesn't look like it makes sense on a computer screen.
A long with only knobs with consistent colours makes sense in a huge console where you have 50 channels and they all look the same.
It makes absolutely no sense in a single instance. This is for people who never used the original either, so there's no familiarity to go "hey it looks like something everyone uses in Real Life, lets do something similar"

Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:24 amBeauty? it looks like some kid ate crayons and puked on the screen.
Yes, that's my subjective opinion obviously. Of all their channel strips, this one looks the most appealing to me, followed by Lindell 50 and 80, then the SSL-s and N with Focusrite SC way at the bottom.
Music tech enthusiast

Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:24 amBeauty? it looks like some kid ate crayons and puked on the screen.
Ah, new PA product, must be an opportunity for a moan... :dog: :scared: :lol:
Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:24 amThey need new beta-testers...
I like the PA channel strips (in fact, they were my entry point for PA plugins), and I think this one looks nice, but it *is* pretty feature packed which gives it a cluttered appearance (familiarity obviously improves this) and the plugins are resizable so it can be as big or small as you like.

Anyway, maybe the beta testers all liked it, and it's just you that doesn't... ;)

I'm interested in the feedback - my guess is that this is probably another fairly clean/neutral console, like the Focusrite and perhaps the 9000 J, so for these it comes down to the interface and facilities you like, rather than any significant tone imparting like something like the Lindell 80 or SSL 4000 E...

Of the PA channel strips I don't have yet, I'd probably take the Lindell 50 over this (especially as it will be expensive for a long time), but I'll give it a demo at some point and see how well it sounds and works for me. All my PA channel strips are consistently mapped with a hardware controller, but this one will struggle to fit in there with that many features..(!)

Although i'm not a fan of just chopping up a channel strip into 3 pieces and laying out (i think Softube does it better with their API) - but i don't have the same quip with Focusrite and N and SSL consoles - since i tried all of them.

They have buttons with shadows prominent enough that you know they're in or out and don't have gajillion tiny LEDs.

I get it - going for "authenticity" but it just doesn't work here. LEDs next to button make sense to see what's on from a glympse of 50 channel strips, it makes zero sense to clutter an already cramped interface with them.

Damn that looks cluttered. Even worse than their other channelstrips.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:57 am Damn that looks cluttered.
I would agree here, too complex-looking for me to use (I'm a dummy!)
dionenoid wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:57 am Even worse than their other channelstrips.
I like their other strips and don't find most to be any problem tbh.

I don't know what it's technically called, but I like the non-perspective skeuomorph on the knobs, not a fan of perspective knobs that seem to spread out left and right not entirely naturally. I would use lighter shadowing though, the text underneath gets harder to read.

Interview with Dirk Ulrich:

https://youtu.be/HnwQuXGjLS8
Music tech enthusiast

About a year ago I wanted it so much... Now I can't care less. Brainworx is the weakest developer under PA umbrella.
As it's just another ChannelStrip for collectors, which will be obsolete in the next few months (when they'll release another ChannelStrip) I'll pass on this one.
I like the GUI. Knowing that I'll never use it, I can't complain that it's cluttered :P Still, the design of their latest EQ's is much better eye-candy ;)

another channelstrip ...
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:30 pm another channelstrip ...
Another Plugin Alliance (!) channelstrip. :hihi:
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

I’ve had opportunity to be at a mixing session with a 9098i. In fact, the very one at Power Station where Dirk took one of promo photos a few months back. It’s a great sounding console, larger than life with a terrific EQ and we only used a small amount of outboard there on hand as we just didn’t need much outside of the desk. Looking forward to comparing the PA strip based on my recollection and the final mix.

EDIT: Just watched some of the YT video above… didn’t realize they did the interview and shoot there, but makes sense now given the prior photos.

F635C1BF-A940-4525-9F84-80F354AC16E5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sl1200mk2 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:06 pm I’ve had opportunity to be at a mixing session with a 9098i. In fact, the very one at Power Station where Dirk took one of promo photos a few months back. It’s a great sounding console, larger than life with a terrific EQ and we only used a small amount of outboard there on hand as we just didn’t need much outside of the desk. Looking forward to comparing the PA strip based on my recollection and the final mix.

EDIT: Just watched some of the YT video above… didn’t realize they did the interview and shoot there, but makes sense now given the prior photos.

F635C1BF-A940-4525-9F84-80F354AC16E5.jpeg
Finally someone who brings something interesting into a KVR Plugin Alliance thread :tu:
I am looking forward to reading your opinion on bx_console AMEK 9099.

AGIGA wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:34 pm Finally someone who brings something interesting into a KVR Plugin Alliance thread :tu:
I am looking forward to reading your opinion on bx_console AMEK 9099.
Thanks. :lol: I don’t have the PA subscription, so I’ll have to wait for the general launch to try the demo.

If anyone is interested in hearing the mix here’s a snippet. It was released both as vinyl and digital this past year.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Q6WLqnYqg6pwFNnr6

sl1200mk2 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:51 pmI don’t have the PA subscription, so I’ll have to wait for the general launch to try the demo.
Why? Just download and install/activate the demo, it's available since earlier today...

You can't *buy* it until August, but you can demo it now.

Return to “Effects”