Cubase Pro 10.5.20 is *no longer* the perfect DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

jens wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:18 am
In fact I said it is weird that you can not imagine how this is supposed to work when I already explained in my original post that the pre-requisite would be that the individual note has been selected - so when it is selected it is selected, you see - selected as in selected.
Well, we're actually talking about the pencil tool so when both VELOCITIES are selected it's going to edit both of them.
No, I don't use up head space trying to imagine implementations in the abstract. I don't code DAWs :shrug: Or collect them.
There was no confusion on my part. I'm in this to specifically point out to you that the pencil tool appears from the selection tool once in the velocity lane. So your setup has issues? Don't know and you can get lost.
jens wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:18 am I could not care less about you, your music or your way of working to be honest - and it also is not the topic of this thread.
Fair enough - but the "not the topic"? I brought opinion, after you brought opinion (of a person who took the time to try and tell you a fact). One supposes the topic is not my aesthetics, right. Or...

BTFW, I think that about the issue no matter the person. Objectively, musicians are not robots like that.
It's not personal. If it hit a nerve, oh well.

jancivil wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:25 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:08 pm Sorry for offtopic'ing the thread a bit (and sorry for the potentially stupid question), but... is it correct that the VST Quick Controls are MIDI learned via the Remote Control Editor? So... they basically show the mapping set in the RCE?
They can correlate but unless you want to specifically map from a given control surface there's not a lot of point in it, a MIDI track assigned to an instrument is going to automatically have QC in the Inspector. The remote control thing has quite a few more things it can do and is kind of more geared to controlling a mixer paradigm than MIDI in its particular sense. CF: Mackie Universal. But you can use Quick Control learn from the Inspector rather more readily.
10.5 manual pg 744, 11 manual pg 750 and on for a few pages. The bit regarding the Generic Remote describes looking at the actual device to know its actual settings btw, so the Generic is not pre-mapped at all. The Mackie was at least at one time. I have actually never used it, I write automation for host automation mixage rather than use a physical device to move faders. The things I want it to do it haven't been possible here, either (automation from VE Pro), it's stuck in an earlier era.
Thanks. :tu:

I think I will stick to "normal" MIDI CC learn. That way, I have universal mapping among all DAW's. For the mixer and track control, my keyboard supports Maeckie HUI, which lets me control miver levels, sends, pan etc. from the controls on my keyboard, and I can then switch to normal MIDI CC if I want to control plugins (which is the case in 99% of cases).

I somehow never got warm with DAW included MIDI learn systems. They all have their flaws, or prevent plugins which require MIDI CC messages from working.

Wait - so she is actually using Cubase as a DAW?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

FTR, I'm not that kind of fan of some tool. I'm highly critical of what's happening currently at Steinberg, such as botching the supposed 'Maintenance' update 11.0.10, which introduced bugs (weird, weird bugs made clearly by people that will never use the thing) on top of pandering to the crowd that likes a feature in their DAW so - and this was pointed out earlier - muscle memory is disrupted (double click on a note to delete. Sure, the delete key is just too much hassle. So instead of opening up Note Expression editor, now it's right click and find it in the dropdown.) pointlessly to do essentially nothing but pander.

So having at me for that is goddamned childish, and desperate. You aren't competent to argue the actual point so you make up a story about a person. I don't get how it's weird to see a pencil tool attaching to two notes at the precise point in the timeline for what it is in the GUI. I'd take one's word other DAWs can do it, but I'm fine if that's your marker for someone being stupider than are you, since it looks as desperate as the other shite.

It's weird, or ought to be weird, to see someone try some absolute bullshit, example given <drummers do precise lining up of hits all the time/that's how it is>. Let alone leap to some thought-free conclusion (and flagrant dishonest storytelling/gaslighting) one would have that (reality-centric) view only out of an inferior experience to your own vastly expanded horizons. You don't know who you're talking to.
Speaking of which: if one is doing live note-on input into the DAW from a physical controller into Key Editor, one does not have the illusion - let's review the goalpost I was starting with, the precise point in numbers in Key Editor; not close, the exact point in a bar, say "0" - of that, and would understand the issue a little bit.
No, another bit of posturing by the clueless.

jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 am FTR, I'm not that kind of fan of some tool. I'm highly critical of what's happening currently at Steinberg, such as botching the supposed 'Maintenance' update 11.0.10, which introduced bugs (weird, weird bugs made clearly by people that will never use the thing) on top of pandering to the crowd that likes a feature in their DAW so - and this was pointed out earlier - muscle memory is disrupted (double click on a note to delete. Sure, the delete key is just too much hassle. So instead of opening up Note Expression editor, now it's right click and find it in the dropdown.) pointlessly to do essentially nothing but pander.

So having at me for that is goddamned childish, and desperate. You aren't competent to argue the actual point so you make up a story about a person. I don't get how it's weird to see a pencil tool attaching to two notes at the precise point in the timeline for what it is in the GUI. I'd take one's word other DAWs can do it, but I'm fine if that's your marker for someone being stupider than are you, since it looks as desperate as the other shite.
TBH I do not really have an idea what you are talking about - I don't even really get half of it.

"Having a go at you for that"? For what? You seem to read a whole lot into my simple question. It's all just in your fantasy though.

I only could not fail noticing that you seem to be a Cubase user, and since you mentioned before that you only use one DAW I have to assume that you are talking about Cubase all the time. I however was talking about Reason all the time.

I had a hunch before that something like this might be the case, which is why I asked if you are sure that we talk about the same thing. Which explains why the pencil tool appears automatically for you - as that is indeed the way it is in Cubase - just not in Reason, what I was talking about.

What it does not explain however is what you are arguing about then anyway - because in Cubase the note-selection also works as expected. You select one note of severla that have the same starting point and can edit the CC value of only the selected note with the pencil - and as I mentioned most DAWs work like this - just not Reason, what I was talking about. So in the light of this all your arguing makes even less sense to me.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 am It's weird, or ought to be weird, to see someone try some absolute bullshit, example given <drummers do precise lining up of hits all the time/that's how it is>.
I never said something like that!

That is your fantasy playing tricks on you again!

I only gave you examples of when you might have several notes starting at exactly the same time. I did NOT make a sweeping generalization - as I don't like these very much - quite unlike you, I hasten to add.

Let alone leap to some thought-free conclusion (and flagrant dishonest storytelling/gaslighting) one would have that (reality-centric) view only out of an inferior experience to your own vastly expanded horizons. You don't know who you're talking to.
Speaking of which: if one is doing live note-on input into the DAW from a physical controller into Key Editor, one does not have the illusion - let's review the goalpost I was starting with, the precise point in numbers in Key Editor; not close, the exact point in a bar, say "0" - of that, and would understand the issue a little bit.
No, another bit of posturing by the clueless.
Again i only understand half of what you are saying here - or trying to say.

Either way, here's a quick example of what I was talking about:

Here's the same with the highest zoom-level that is possible in Cubase:

This is really just a more or less arbitrary example - it's one of the first bars of a song I just worked on so that was what came to my mind.

Is this what you are talking about? Why should that not be possible? That's so absurd! I am not a very good piano player btw. - also please note how all three note are a little off grid (pushing - by the same amount)

I'm old, and you may find if you get more experience in the world that old people may feel they have to take precisely zero shit off of you. "I think it's weird"... d000d, I had one thing to do in this thread which was to try and show you a fact about how the feature works. I made screen shots, to demonstrate it working beyond doubt but made the error of saying I don't get the expectation it would be otherwise. Doesn't seem ridiculous to me or that worthy of scrutiny. You can see it however, I'm done.

Then you have to act like you're topping me regarding knowledge, I have a tiny awareness, for saying something you don't grasp. The arrogance compounds the thoughtlessness.

" I had one thing to do in this thread which was to try and show you a fact about how the feature works."

Again: You were replying to something that I wrote about the DAW

Reason

but it seems you replied by talking about the DAW

Cubase

(edit: removed unneccesary fuel)
Last edited by jens on Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

By the way:

no word from you on my example (screenshots) of what you claimed was not actually possible?

today 11.0.3 came out.
i am checking daily for the summer discount for upgrading pops up.....

gunnar wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:31 am today 11.0.3 came out.
i am checking daily for the summer discount for upgrading pops up.....
Me, too, then waiting until Dec to activate it (to get 11.5).

I should add that this thread was a moan about the length of time it took Steinberg to release 10.5.30, so I sarcastically stated that 10.5.20 must be perfect as they couldn't find anything to fix. 10.5.30 was finally released about 8 months after 10.5.20.

i was thinking about this idea with waiting with the deactivating, too.
but when i look into the forums when the new version pops up it always looks like its a better idea to wait for the summer discount AND the bugfixes and then activate...

Cubase was never a perfect daw. It has lots of features but it takes lots of mouse clicks to do simple things
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

TS-12 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:16 am Cubase was never a perfect daw. It has lots of features but it takes lots of mouse clicks to do simple things
When you do your personalized macros + key commands it actually takes no mouse clicks at all to do most of the tasks. This is why Cubase can be ultra fast if only somebody want it to be

pixel85 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:37 pm
TS-12 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:16 am Cubase was never a perfect daw. It has lots of features but it takes lots of mouse clicks to do simple things
When you do your personalized macros + key commands it actually takes no mouse clicks at all to do most of the tasks. This is why Cubase can be ultra fast if only somebody want it to be
can't do tap tempo macro tho
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”