Why you left Ableton?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yup- for good or bad Live hasn't changed that much since I started using it- its very familiar and I can move around it very fast without havering to remember how things work or where they are.

It's full of nice little touches/workflow features that I use all of the time, from fairly unique thing slice audio to midi (great for making audio drum loops to midi arrange) to little things like 'right click on the little rack thumbnail to see and select from drop down list of all the devices...Session follow actions is very cool as well, a game changer really....you can set it up as an autosampler recording a different (randomised) clip in each lane!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

UI

I don't believe there is a "best" DAW as much as which is the one you've clocked the most miles on and feel most used to working with.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:51 pm
apoclypse wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:47 pmThe integration with the iPad is nice but I wouldn't go as far as claiming its faster than PUSH2 and Ableton. You can't really do half the things that you can on Push with the Logic Remote app. It's nice to have in addition to Logic but let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's a pretty clunky app to use imo.
Of course you are welcome to have your own point of view on the matter.

I've owned both. Triggering clips in Logic with Logic Remote is faster and more informative (which was my claim). The grid on my iPad Pro is 10 x 14... Push is 8x8 so Logic Remote shows twice as many clips slots at once. Navigating outside the visible area is faster and more hands on cause you can just swipe. I can swipe down through the tracks with 1 finger and as I'm swiping down, I can be triggering new clips that weren't visible before.

The clip display is more informative. I can see if they are audio clips, or midi clips, how long they are and what data is in them. I used to get misplaced sometimes in Push... and have to think where I am. Doesn't happen in LR because it is more visually .

Logic Remote has a mixer view. 12 tracks visible at once with nice big multi-touch faders. Showing the FX, the Logic EQ is visual on the screen. No paging needed, all parameters right there.

Logic Remote doesn't have the learn function for the Sequencer, so that has to be done in Logic directly. But once done, it really fast to create patterns in the sequencer. And unlike Push, the overview is great. I can set it to velocity and draw velocity curves across all lanes in seconds. Push has some advantages too, but the visual display is just so much friendlier and shows so much more info. With Push, if I didn't use it for a month, I was already forgetting how to do stuff. Logic Remote, even the first time I used it, took me like 15 minutes to know how to do everything because it is visual.
Well. I'm not going to agree with you on this one. I find the experience to be clunky. I primarily use the Logic Remote as a glorified shortcuts menu at this point as everything I need to do is much faster with a mouse and keyboard. In Ableton I found it to be the opposite where things I needed to do were faster and more intuitive to do with Push2 than with the software.

What works for you really depends on what you are trying to do with the software. If you are trying to get a more hardware like workflow where you twiddle some knobs, press some buttons and don't really have to think about it, the iPad workflow is clunky and not suited for that imo.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Can anyone with Live 10/11 Suite try this?
- reset your computer (cycle power)
- launch Live
- drag in Wavetable
- follow it with Echo
- follow it with Hybrid Reverb

Do those devices load up for you instantly? For me - Win10, 8th gen i7-8750H laptop that normally takes whatever I throw at it - Wavetable takes 12-13s, Echo around 4-5s, Hybrid Reverb 6-7s. The fans spin up, even though Live takes 3-5% according to Task Manager.

When I'd repeat the steps again, the devices load almost instantly. But 1st time after launching Live and for most native devices it always takes veeeeeeeeerrrryyy long :(

Weird thing is, it doesn't happen immediately after freshly installing Live.

It took few weeks to "set in" & I don't think there was any update in that time. I also saw this with 10 and 10.1.

Is it "normal"? :scared:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm Can anyone with Live 10/11 Suite try this?
- reset your computer (cycle power)
- launch Live
- drag in Wavetable
- follow it with Echo
- follow it with Hybrid Reverb

Do those devices load up for you instantly? For me - Win10, 8th gen i7-8750H laptop that normally takes whatever I throw at it - Wavetable takes 12-13s, Echo around 4-5s, Hybrid Reverb 6-7s. The fans spin up, even though Live takes 3-5% according to Task Manager.

When I'd repeat the steps again, the devices load almost instantly. But 1st time after launching Live and for most native devices it always takes veeeeeeeeerrrryyy long :(

Weird thing is, it doesn't happen immediately after freshly installing Live.

It took few weeks to "set in" & I don't think there was any update in that time. I also saw this with 10 and 10.1.

Is it "normal"? :scared:
Mac Mini M1, loads instantly. Wavetable maybe 1-2 sec.

Definitely not normal.

I am on a pretty old i7 (3370K 3.5Ghz) with SSD on Win 10 and wavetable synth is almost instant, the other two pretty fast, certainly less than a second each with a pre-set.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeah about the same for me - Each takes a little under a second to load, the Wavetable (possibly) taking the longest of the three

Serhii Kot wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:41 pm Mac Mini M1, loads instantly. Wavetable maybe 1-2 sec.
SLiC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:42 pm Definitely not normal.

I am on a pretty old i7 (3370K 3.5Ghz) with SSD on Win 10 and wavetable synth is almost instant, the other two pretty fast, certainly less than a second each with a pre-set.
mcbpete wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 pm Yeah about the same for me - Each takes a little under a second to load, the Wavetable (possibly) taking the longest of the three
Is this on a freshly reset computer and freshly launched Live?
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm Do those devices load up for you instantly? For me - Win10, 8th gen i7-8750H laptop that normally takes whatever I throw at it - Wavetable takes 12-13s, Echo around 4-5s, Hybrid Reverb 6-7s. The fans spin up, even though Live takes 3-5% according to Task Manager.
pretty much. at most a second or so each.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

This is what I have. I checked on my old Surface Pro 4 and it's slightly faster, but also very long (compared to e.g. Bitwig):

https://youtu.be/yryZodcwnGw
Music tech enthusiast

OK, only difference is I dropped in to rack in session view- I will reboot now and try exactly the same as you....

OK, I'm back- rebooted, reloaded, dropped in arranger view track- slightly longer to load, but still only around a second or so rather than almost instant. What version are you on?

SLiC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:32 pmOK, only difference is I dropped in to rack in session view- I will reboot now and try exactly the same as you....
For me there's no difference between Session & Arrangement :(

I mean it's not a big problem - it only happens with fresh launch, only on the 1st time I'm dragging the device in and is particularly long for newer devices (e.g. Analog or Operator load instantly), so perhaps it's got something to do with Max?
Music tech enthusiast

SLiC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:43 pmOK, I'm back- rebooted, reloaded, dropped in arranger view track- slightly longer to load, but still only around a second or so rather than almost instant. What version are you on?
Thanks for testing! :hug:

I'm on 11.0.2, but as I said I had the same with betas and earlier with 10.0 and 10.1 :(
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”