Algonaut Atlas 2 finally announced. New buyers get 2 for free, 19$ upgrade for others.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atlas Atlas 2

looks super cool though.. I think I'm going to do for $19! seems a no brainer

I absolutely love Atlas. I use it for all sample types, not just drums.
With 20+ years of sample-hoarding I continue to be surprised with what I apparently have in my libraries every time I hit the "New kit" button!

Not sure how much I'm going to use the new sequencer though, as I use Push to sequence.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

twolegstoneworks wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:13 am I absolutely love Atlas. I use it for all sample types, not just drums.
With 20+ years of sample-hoarding I continue to be surprised with what I apparently have in my libraries every time I hit the "New kit" button!

Not sure how much I'm going to use the new sequencer though, as I use Push to sequence.
May I ask how you use it for other sample types? It seem to be constrained only to one shots (based on sample length) to my understanding.

bbaasszz wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:35 am
twolegstoneworks wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:13 am I absolutely love Atlas. I use it for all sample types, not just drums.

May I ask how you use it for other sample types? It seem to be constrained only to one shots (based on sample length) to my understanding.
The developer told me that currently Atlas will leave out Loop samples and samples greater than 6 to 10 seconds long. It varies a little because longer cymbals are allowed through.

They are looking into options for longer samples, however.

bbaasszz wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:35 am

I've got maps for oneshots of Bass, Guitars, Brass, Chords, Synths, Pads and Effects. I also have some maps with percussionloops and vocals, but as you say, it wont detect the long loops, but it's still useable on a lot of loops.

I simply load up a map, hit the "New Kit" and explore the findings. If I find something I like for the track I'm working on, I'll typically drag the sample over into a Simpler (in Ableton Live) and work with it from there. So you could say it more functions as a sample-browser for those other types of sounds, but it's damn effective at finding sounds you've forgot you had in your arsenal.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

I have figured out that the best way (for me) for browsing loops in general is to organize the collection of loops in proper folders and then use either DAW browser or Komplete Kontrol/Machine software. At least until someone comes up with this functionality in a software like Atlas 2 or XO.

xenofungus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:53 pm Dang! I bought this back in December based on the promise that I would be eligible for free upgrade.... I am not happy to say the least.
If it was a promise, the dev will probably sort you out if you get in touch? He seems like a solid guy.

Is it just me or the AI part is worse than v1? (I haven’t been using it a lot lately so I might wrong) I thing I keep getting much more wrong sample in each category.

Other than that its a nice update. I hope we’ll soon get propability, note divisions, more lanes for parameters and more “modern” sequence features.

I think it's smart to exclude loops for now. Loops have a different workflow and Atlas currently has a sweet spot with one shots. If he really wanted to include Loops I'd like to see a workflow based around auto mapping splits to specified pads so you could mix and match one shots and loops into the same patch, bpm adjustments etc. How to introduce that kind of stuff into Atlas without making chaos of the ui takes some careful planning.

Hey everyone, this week we did a mass announcement to our mailing list and to be honest I wasn't quite prepared for what it would be like when a large majority of Atlas 1 owners all upgraded at once. A good problem to have, but hectic! We're on top of it all now but that's why my last reply here was a while ago.

There's a lot of requests for the velocity editing to be faster. I'm keen to try a few changes around this, it all sounds reasonable and shouldn't even be too disruptive to try out. One thing though is if velocity is always editable it means clearing a note can't be done with a toggle click (like a traditional step-sequencer), you'd have to drag the velocity off the bottom to clear or there would have to be a new action. (eg. right-click) I was kind of hoping to reserve right-click for more options in the future. I'd like to avoid lots of modifier keys for basic functions too, new users really struggle with that.

There seems to be some confusion about MIDI files too. MIDI files can be loaded into the Sequencer by drag-dropping. MIDI files don't show in the Browser, ONLY saved Atlas sequences do. Because MIDI files can be chords or melodies as well it would likely create a bit of a mess in the Browser until these could be sorted. (perhaps something for the future?..) The same goes with individual sample files in the Browser, this can't be done. Atlas may get a folder type view of map samples in the future.

Enlarging the Sequencer to be the whole window is a popular request and something I'm looking into. This would obviously give more room for more lanes and lanes always being open.

Finally I've mentioned it before but will say it again so people don't have to go thread diving, parameter automation (eg. filter cutoff) is coming. It's quite a big job but it's been started.

xenofungus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:53 pm Dang! I bought this back in December based on the promise that I would be eligible for free upgrade.... I am not happy to say the least.
If I promised you this then I'm more than happy to honor that promise. Please forward me our previous conversation via email so I know who you are and can fix it. info@algonaut.tech

MattAlgonaut wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:56 am Hey everyone, this week we did a mass announcement to our mailing list and to be honest I wasn't quite prepared for what it would be like when a large majority of Atlas 1 owners all upgraded at once. A good problem to have, but hectic! We're on top of it all now but that's why my last reply here was a while ago.

There's a lot of requests for the velocity editing to be faster. I'm keen to try a few changes around this, it all sounds reasonable and shouldn't even be too disruptive to try out. One thing though is if velocity is always editable it means clearing a note can't be done with a toggle click (like a traditional step-sequencer), you'd have to drag the velocity off the bottom to clear or there would have to be a new action. (eg. right-click) I was kind of hoping to reserve right-click for more options in the future. I'd like to avoid lots of modifier keys for basic functions too, new users really struggle with that.

There seems to be some confusion about MIDI files too. MIDI files can be loaded into the Sequencer by drag-dropping. MIDI files don't show in the Browser, ONLY saved Atlas sequences do. Because MIDI files can be chords or melodies as well it would likely create a bit of a mess in the Browser until these could be sorted. (perhaps something for the future?..) The same goes with individual sample files in the Browser, this can't be done. Atlas may get a folder type view of map samples in the future.

Enlarging the Sequencer to be the whole window is a popular request and something I'm looking into. This would obviously give more room for more lanes and lanes always being open.

Finally I've mentioned it before but will say it again so people don't have to go thread diving, parameter automation (eg. filter cutoff) is coming. It's quite a big job but it's been started.
Hi Matt.
Thanks for addressing the velocity request. I understand it's not so straightforward of a solution. Maybe we could have the option to 'lock open' any velocity lanes of our choice. Wether it's 2 or 5 lanes , it's ultimately up to the user to decide wether they want them locked open or not. That would suit both the users who like the original theme( only one lane open at a time), or the open theme for those who want to edit different lanes at once.

Perhaps next to the S/M butons on the lane, you could incorporate an L for 'lock', and this would prevent the respective lane from closing when choosing another lane. If you incorporate new sequencer features in the future, this could work well for that too.

This method would also preserve the right click for future plans. As for having to drag the velocity down or up to input a note, really, that's where the fun comes in to decide how hard you want the note to hit, and for me personally it's hardly an issue as the velocity slider is very smooth with very little travel up or down. And again, if the user wants to simply click notes full on or off, they simply wouldn't lock the lane and just revert back to the way it is now.

Just my thoughts.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:03 am I have figured out that the best way (for me) for browsing loops in general is to organize the collection of loops in proper folders and then use either DAW browser or Komplete Kontrol/Machine software. At least until someone comes up with this functionality in a software like Atlas 2 or XO.
Might want to try sononym.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:13 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:03 am I have figured out that the best way (for me) for browsing loops in general is to organize the collection of loops in proper folders and then use either DAW browser or Komplete Kontrol/Machine software. At least until someone comes up with this functionality in a software like Atlas 2 or XO.
Might want to try sononym.
I second that. I tried Sononym after my post above and it has been a revelation. I have literally found loops and samples I forgot I even had, and being able to say "I kind of like this but it's not exactly what I want" and get literally a cascade of ranked alternatives is fantastic.

The most notable difference to XO and Atlas is that it works on all types of samples: loops, atmospheres etc. Looking for explosions or gunshots? Crowd noise? Want to further filter your results with a text string like "train"? It's all there.

FWIW I watched another Atlas 2 review to see if I was doing something wrong and the reviewer got that same 'clump' of samples I did when he mapped his own (although he didn't complain). IMO that needs to be looked into. User samples just don't seem to group as nicely as the factory library, and if the AI-assisted result is just a clump with effectively 50% grey area between sample types IMO you could probably get better results with a purely textual scan on paths and filenames (group by paths or filenames containing Hat, HH, CH, OH, rim, kick etc.). This is especially true when like Atlas you're focused on drum sounds, where most naming conventions are quite established.

Thank you, I have demoed Sononym once, but did not quite like it. I might give it a try again. For now, I am very satisfied with Komplete Kontrol for loops, because you can favourite them too, which is the single biggest advantage over using DAW (FL Studio) browser.

Return to “Instruments”