IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

I figured, but we do get quite a lot of requests for an upright acoustic bass in MODO BASS which I understand but makes more sense in something like MODO Orchestra or something like that.

Daimonicon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:55 pm Modelled drums will never be a hit.
I would always be more interested in anything modeled vs. sampled. A modeled instrument expands the sound world as you can go beyond practical physics. It should sound realistic, yes but doesn’t need to sound like a real drum you are familiar with…
Yes, you have to hit also modeled drums. But if you do it is a hit… :hihi:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:05 pm I figured, but we do get quite a lot of requests for an upright acoustic bass in MODO BASS which I understand but makes more sense in something like MODO Orchestra or something like that.
OK, this is interesting!

If IK comes out with a physically modeled string quartet that is controlled by a CC bow, like SWAM or Arché, and has pluck/pizz as well, then a modeled standup bass being part of that instead of MODO Bass is OK by me.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

MODO DRUM SE only has 1 of the 3 cymbal sets (the Vintage one). :(

telecharge wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:14 pm MODO DRUM SE only has 1 of the 3 cymbal sets (the Vintage one). :(
Yes, that's the set of cymbals that normally loads with the two kits that are included.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:06 pm
telecharge wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:14 pm MODO DRUM SE only has 1 of the 3 cymbal sets (the Vintage one). :(
Yes, that's the set of cymbals that normally loads with the two kits that are included.
Pity there's no mention of this in the sales copy or product literature.

From the IK website:
"In addition to these 10 drum kits, MODO DRUM offers 3 different cymbal sets: IK, Vintage and Elegance."

That's saying the cymbal sets are separate from the drum kits.

From the press release, and also found in the MODO DRUM SE sales copy on resellers websites:
"MODO DRUM SE offers all of the features and the fully functional physical modeling engine of MODO DRUM along with two popular drum kits: Jazzy and Studio."

The cymbals are part of those kits, as noted that's why they load up with those kits. I'll let the team know that isn't clear to you.

Yes, to me...and anyone else with a solid grasp of the English language. They load up with the kits because it is the only cymbal set. But thanks for another passive-aggressive snipe.

Haven't updated Mac yet, but 1.1.2 is super wonky on Windows.

My drum parts now sound like they're being played by by this guy, which is not as cool as it sounds.

UPDATE:
I did further testing on 1.1.2 (someone has to), and what I've found is the velocity MODO DRUM plays now seems to be random and completely disconnected from the MIDI velocity data it is receiving. Seems to happen on all kit pieces, including cymbals. Also, sometimes you only get the attack or the ring from the drum, like the sound is only being partially generated.

Output levels are also super loud and distorted when using as a VST3 plugin.

This release is totally unusable, at least on Windows. Was it even tested before release?

telecharge wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:20 pm Yes, to me...and anyone else with a solid grasp of the English language. They load up with the kits because it is the only cymbal set. But thanks for another passive-aggressive snipe.
Sorry you interpreted my replies that way, there was no "passive-aggressive sniping" intended at all. I was pointing out that's the set of cymbals they load up with even in the full version. Those cymbals (the vintage set) are paired with both kits included with MODO DRUM SE.

jamcat wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:46 am Haven't updated Mac yet, but 1.1.2 is super wonky on Windows.

My drum parts now sound like they're being played by by this guy, which is not as cool as it sounds.

UPDATE:
I did further testing on 1.1.2 (someone has to), and what I've found is the velocity MODO DRUM plays now seems to be random and completely disconnected from the MIDI velocity data it is receiving. Seems to happen on all kit pieces, including cymbals. Also, sometimes you only get the attack or the ring from the drum, like the sound is only being partially generated.

Output levels are also super loud and distorted when using as a VST3 plugin.

This release is totally unusable, at least on Windows. Was it even tested before release?
Yes it was tested. I'm sure IK Support can help you as I'm not seeing this reported widely at this point so I'm not sure it is something global.

Edit - I also let the team know as I hadn't updated the Win10 version here. They are looking into a potential difference between Mac and Windows versions when the velocity slider is set low or to the minimum. If you do end up reporting it please send the MIDI file you are having trouble with that would likely help. Thanks!

I tried the velocity slider across the entire range, and it makes no difference. The velocities are still played back completely randomly. The slider affects the minimum and maximum velocity levels, but they are still random within those bounds. Typically I keep the velocity slider at the default middle position, which is how it was initially on the tracks I tested.

I went back and forth reinstalling 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 a few times yesterday, and each time 1.1.1 behaved as expected and 1.1.2 had the same wonky behaviour. I’m going to be sticking with 1.1.1 until there is a fix.

Also I’d still really like the option to replace the hated hand claps with stick clicks. Real drummers don’t clap (but they do count in.)

Great to have it finally m1 ready! Testing the demo at the moment.
First thing I noticed is a big cpu spike when changing drum parts. One thing which you should think about - selecting more mixer channels at once. SD3 gives you that possibility which makes it easy to choose the same output for different channels. I mostly put toms on one bus or cymbals; selecting every channel and route every on its own is tedious. Why are the cymbals not in the overheads?
For now I think I can get a more realistic result with the known drums vsti´s but maybe it needs different processing than the others, but I like it better then some of the videos I´ve seen so far. And I´d like to have the L and R area of the Snare and toms bigger as this is an awesome feature to put variation into the drums. I try this with a blast speed and no velocity difference - not that I´d typically do this as velocity is the thing but as it does quite a good job; with a bigger range it would be even better. Why limit the range when we could go crazy with this.
I think I like the hats and the cymbals; there are no ugly resonances and they are quite smooth right out the box.

Hi Peter,

I am seeing the same behavior for 1.1.2 on Windows 10 as Jamcat --- just horrible misbehavior. I'm testing it, considering purchase before the sale goes away, but at this point, no way. I've sent a ticket to support and referred to this thread and the date Jamcat posted. I hope that you or someone can extend the sales a bit so that it can receive a fair chance to get fixed and tested by potential customers. By the way, I'm also seeing some kind of half a beat or so delay in addition to really random behaviors like sudden +12 dB toms, missing notes, suddenly soft or just the tail. Playing the standalone live with a keyboard is impossible, so it's not just some weird MIDI file.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Dave Clark

PS: I just downloaded 1.1.3, now a day after 1.1.2. It appears that most if not all problems are fixed.

Return to “Instruments”