Swanky Amp Pro released (1.3.0)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Swanky Amp Pro

JackOnan wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:55 am Found a small bug I think - clicking the cab toggle button("C") while custom IR is active causes the Shape buttons to become enabled when they should be disabled.
Yes, quite right you are. Thanks sharing, I'll get that fixed for 1.0.

Garrin

jbraner wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:59 am Anyway - best of luck with the product launch, and please keep us informed here, as to what's going on (and also if you start a new thread)
Thanks John. I'll stick around of course. And there will definitely be a few more features and updates to discuss ;).

Garrin

:tu:
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

garrinm wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:16 am
jbraner wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:59 am Anyway - best of luck with the product launch, and please keep us informed here, as to what's going on (and also if you start a new thread)
Thanks John. I'll stick around of course. And there will definitely be a few more features and updates to discuss ;).

Garrin
I think you mentioned previously that you wanted to create separate plugins for each component. Is that still on the table? One of my pet peeves with amp "suites" is that you can't use the components separately (outside of creating multiple instances with different components disabled). I guess that might take a lot of extra work, but it would be great if it can be done.

HK-47 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 am I think you mentioned previously that you wanted to create separate plugins for each component. Is that still on the table? One of my pet peeves with amp "suites" is that you can't use the components separately (outside of creating multiple instances with different components disabled). I guess that might take a lot of extra work, but it would be great if it can be done.
Yes, that's definitely in the plans. I probably won't get around to it for a few more weeks, and then it might take a few weeks for all the other plug-ins to be ready. But I would like to get this out within a couple of month's time.

Garrin

There's a first draft of the user's manual available here: https://www.resonantdsp.com/swankyamppro/manual.html.

There are a variety of tips and notes on particularities of Swanky Amp Pro highlighted throughout the document. They might be of interest to even some of the more veteran Swanky Amp users.

I'm sure it'll take quite a few passes to iron out all the little errors, so please take this for what it is: a first draft.

Thanks,
Garrin

The time has finally come, release 1.0 is out.

The product page information has been updated:
https://resonantdsp.com/swankyamppro/index.html

As mentioned yesterday, there's now a user's manual which includes a quick start guide:
https://resonantdsp.com/swankyamppro/manual.html

The development won't end here, there's more pedals to come, the various amp sections will be split up into standalone plugins (given to anyone who owns the full amp plug-in), and there might (or might not) be a reverb in the works. But at long last the core feature set is finalized and your presets are safe from tampering by the dev xD.

Thank you very much to everyone who has been supporting the project and who helped out during the beta.

Garrin

EDIT: the product page is up https://www.kvraudio.com/product/swanky ... sonant-dsp. If anyone feels particularly compelled to write a review, now's your chance! Any kind of feedback is always appreciated and can help new users understand Swanky Amp.

Hi Garrin, one simple feedback would be to version the download files from your site. I have noticed (at least for Mac), no matter the version, it comes down as SwankyAmpPro.pkg. I try to make a habit of re-labeling as I download, but if easy enough for you, is a user-friendly gesture. Once one has a few of those collected, aside from the date as a clue, impossible to tell which version lies inside without opening the package. It's not insurmountable, and I don't know how much of a chore or change to your website workflow, but a label like SwankyAmpPro-1.0.0.pkg makes it much easier at a glance to know what lies within. Keep on trucking and congratulations on getting release 1.0 out the door.

kidslow wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:54 pm Hi Garrin, one simple feedback would be to version the download files from your site. I have noticed (at least for Mac), no matter the version, it comes down as SwankyAmpPro.pkg. I try to make a habit of re-labeling as I download, but if easy enough for you, is a user-friendly gesture. Once one has a few of those collected, aside from the date as a clue, impossible to tell which version lies inside without opening the package. It's not insurmountable, and I don't know how much of a chore or change to your website workflow, but a label like SwankyAmpPro-1.0.0.pkg makes it much easier at a glance to know what lies within. Keep on trucking and congratulations on getting release 1.0 out the door.
Not a problem, consider it done! Thanks for the feedback.

Garin

Version 1.1.0 is out now with a built-in demo mode.

You can download the plug-in here:

https://www.resonantdsp.com/swankyamppr ... nchor_demo.

Run it, and select "demo mode". No need for an account or any kind of activation. It will output static noise (at a low level) once per minute for a few seconds when in demo mode.

If you've already got a license, this doesn't change anything for you, so you'll have to wait for a future patch to get excited ;).

Garrin

Trying the demo, very interesting. Wonder if there's an option to bypass AMP section and use pedal section only?

I seem to remember there was a plan to make the pedals into separate plugins.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

vicnest wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 am Trying the demo, very interesting. Wonder if there's an option to bypass AMP section and use pedal section only?
Hi Vicnest,

Glad to hear you're liking the demo. There will be standalone pre-amp, pedal, and power-amp plug-ins released in the coming weeks / months so you can mix and match. Anyone with a Swanky Amp Pro license will get those other plug-ins for free.

Garrin

Quick update: 1.1.2 is out. If you had issues with menus (e.g. presets, pedal selection ...) not scaling properly or not showing up at all (on macOS), that should all be fixed now.

There's a bit of a reverb in the works, perhaps for the next patch, but more on that later.

Thanks,
Garrin

Update 1.2.0 is out with the following features:
  • Custom post reverb.
  • Minor UI tweaks.
  • Bug fix for presets not synchronizing with the directory.
There's also a 40% off promotion running until Tuesday, August 24th with coupon code KVR400. You can grab it here:

https://www.resonantdsp.com/swankyamppr ... anchor_buy

I'm working on a blog post about the reverb work, but for now here's a quick rundown. It's a digital reverb, not emulating any particular physical room / spring / plate. I looked into many different reverb algorithms and chose the various parts I enjoyed, then tuned those algorithms and added emphasis / EQ to sound good on guitar. At first glance it sounds like a full room-like reverb, but there's more going on.

There is a spring-like element to the reverb, because of course that's what guitarists expect. But it's subtle, adding a bit more dynamic to the reverb mids. What I didn't do is model the actual spring "chirp" sound because frankly I didn't find that translated into the digital domain all that well. If someone wants an authentic physical reverb, maybe it's best to just use an IR.

In the end, I wanted something general enough that it can be thrown onto just about any guitar tone without getting in the way, but that would also be distinct and not overly digital (i.e. that really metallic sound that came out of digital reverbs of the olden days).

If you enjoy it, great. If not, just turn down the mix to 0 and you can forget it's there ;).

Thanks,
Garrin

Return to “Effects”