Phuturetone GR-8 V/A Synth (KVR Dev Challenge)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

Has anyone tried this? It sounds great and it has a good, clean GUI. Not a lot of presets but there are some really nice patches in there. It definitely leans towards more aggressive sounds but that's right in my wheelhouse. It's definitely worth checking out.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-by-phuturetone
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yes, I like it! This might be a good synth for the OSC here on KVR.

Looks good. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Looks good, but CPU heavy.
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

There's already a thread about it ...
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=567425&p=8153251#p8153251

downloaded it yesterday. not tried it yet but that gui is something else. wow! :love:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

This one is really great !
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:33 pmThere's already a thread about it ...
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=567425&p=8153251#p8153251
Thanks, I would never think to look at the Dev Challenge stuff. This deserves to be taken on its own merits, though, not seen as something hustled up for a contest.

Reading that thread, though, I can't believe this was made in SynthEdit. SE has obviously come a long, long way since I stopped using it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:35 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:33 pm
Reading that thread, though, I can't believe this was made in SynthEdit. SE has obviously come a long, long way since I stopped using it.
That's exactly what I thought...

This synth is fun to use, looks amazing and even sounds awesome...and all done with SynthEdit!

Truly amazing.

Synthedit? :o That's a surprise! It's a great machine.

I'm sure I will download it and give it a go, but want to ask: what, exactly, makes this one sound great, compared to all the rest that sound ok? Are the oscillators different? Or the filter unique? What is the great difference being heard in this one?

wwjd wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:13 pm I'm sure I will download it and give it a go, but want to ask: what, exactly, makes this one sound great, compared to all the rest that sound ok? Are the oscillators different? Or the filter unique? What is the great difference being heard in this one?
I could tell you. But, that would mean that I have to download and use it first!

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:25 pm
wwjd wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:13 pm I'm sure I will download it and give it a go, but want to ask: what, exactly, makes this one sound great, compared to all the rest that sound ok? Are the oscillators different? Or the filter unique? What is the great difference being heard in this one?
I could tell you. But, that would mean that I have to download and use it first!
hahaa! Others have already used it, just want to hear WHY it is great over just fine.

Well, I just did, and played with it a bit. It's a cool synth. Better than what I expected. Pleasant (warm) tone, just the right amount of features for such a synth, impressive amount of onmboard fx (which don't sound shabby either), good GUI. Maybe I missed something, but, the amount of voices seems a bit low.

Cons: Massive CPU consumption. For the sound, it's too much. On the high performance energy plan in Windows, it's bearable, but, I don't dare do multi saw pads with it.

Overall, nice one. Don't get fooled by the SynthEdit tag: I'm sure those are not standard modules, but custom made ones.

To answer your questzion: Nope, it doesn't do anything groundbreaking which others don't, but, it's really nice. Can only recommend to check it out. CPU use might not be as severe on your computer. Mine has a mid tier CPU from 2013, so, that's that.

Return to “Instruments”