The KVR Developer Challenge 2021 Downloads & Voting Now Live

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I'm Heri, LARAS developer.

I've been reading this forum, but so sorry that I didn't jump in earlier as I don't know whether interactions between voters and developers is allowed. So to be on the safe side, I contacted Ben for this. Today all the developers receive email on this and actually interactions, bug fixing, promotions in all channels are encouraged. So here is my response.

@Henry Jimdrix
The only parts of my code that interacts with the file system of the OS are:
- reading supporting files (all files with .dat extension, these actually a comma delimited file to store scales, pattern, etc. Just use any text editor to open them)
- Saving and open .lar file to save your composition (again, this is a simple comma delimited file that can be opened with text editor)
- Exporting MIDI (composition and scale)
- Reading MIDI through MIDI Player

Other than that LARAS relies on the interaction of JRE and the OS, including security. So on how JRE performs in the area of security, I guess there are a lot of report on this available on the internet as I'm not security expert.

@The Noodlist, Michael L and Saffran
Thank you guys so much for helping explaining the process of installation, giving info on what is LARAS all about and addressing the security concern.

Michael, wow I guess you already playing around with LARAS, found so many typos in the user guide :). English is not my native language.

@Pytchblend and Saffran
I guess my 10 tabs of how to use LARAS is not as easy to understand as I thought, so I'm making video tutorials now and will let you all now when it's ready. Thinking about 1-2 days but It can be sooner.

In the meantime, I'd like to share to you some information about bugs that I found (yes, I was in the hurry to finish LARAS so some bugs were outside my radar):
1. You can't use Majb5 chord, as I have typo in the Majb5 chord definition - fixed
2. In the Multi Tracks Composition, if you use Track 4 for other than Drums then Track 4 and 3 will be merged, due to typo in code - fixed. If you always use Track 4 for drums, you're OK
3. There are some definition error in STY Blues Bass patterns - fixed
4. If you have transposed the scale to other Key (lets say you choose C Ionian then you click <> button to transpose, when you export the scale sometime it ends up in wrong key) - working on it. At the meantime, the solution is just to choose go back to C and click any other Scale then select Ionian again.

If you encounter any of the above, LARAS will simply do nothing and you can continue/edit your composition.

On the installer side, I intentionally did not create any installer to make things simple across OS, user just need to install JRE and the extract the zip file. Hopefully when I release LARAS source code as open source, some people will contribute managing installer for Linux, Windows and Mac.

Again thank you very much to all of you
Hope you guys enjoy it and find it useful

Warmest regards,
Heri Haerudin Hasyim

Hey from a user point of view - message to developers - no one cares or wants to hear about GitHub, or how you challenged yourself with one page of code. Kudos for you for reaching your self made goal but noone cares. We are here to make music. Make something that looks good, sounds good, and is fun to use. Noone cares about your philosophy or erector set mentality. We need tools. Two Cents Baby 🤙

WhispAir takes it this year (for me).

larascomposition wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:19 pm Hi I'm Heri, LARAS developer.

I've been reading this forum, but so sorry that I didn't jump in earlier as I don't know whether interactions between voters and developers is allowed. So to be on the safe side, I contacted Ben for this. Today all the developers receive email on this and actually interactions, bug fixing, promotions in all channels are encouraged. So here is my response.

@Henry Jimdrix
The only parts of my code that interacts with the file system of the OS are:
- reading supporting files (all files with .dat extension, these actually a comma delimited file to store scales, pattern, etc. Just use any text editor to open them)
- Saving and open .lar file to save your composition (again, this is a simple comma delimited file that can be opened with text editor)
- Exporting MIDI (composition and scale)
- Reading MIDI through MIDI Player

Other than that LARAS relies on the interaction of JRE and the OS, including security. So on how JRE performs in the area of security, I guess there are a lot of report on this available on the internet as I'm not security expert.

@The Noodlist, Michael L and Saffran
Thank you guys so much for helping explaining the process of installation, giving info on what is LARAS all about and addressing the security concern.

Michael, wow I guess you already playing around with LARAS, found so many typos in the user guide :). English is not my native language.

@Pytchblend and Saffran
I guess my 10 tabs of how to use LARAS is not as easy to understand as I thought, so I'm making video tutorials now and will let you all now when it's ready. Thinking about 1-2 days but It can be sooner.

In the meantime, I'd like to share to you some information about bugs that I found (yes, I was in the hurry to finish LARAS so some bugs were outside my radar):
1. You can't use Majb5 chord, as I have typo in the Majb5 chord definition - fixed
2. In the Multi Tracks Composition, if you use Track 4 for other than Drums then Track 4 and 3 will be merged, due to typo in code - fixed. If you always use Track 4 for drums, you're OK
3. There are some definition error in STY Blues Bass patterns - fixed
4. If you have transposed the scale to other Key (lets say you choose C Ionian then you click <> button to transpose, when you export the scale sometime it ends up in wrong key) - working on it. At the meantime, the solution is just to choose go back to C and click any other Scale then select Ionian again.

If you encounter any of the above, LARAS will simply do nothing and you can continue/edit your composition.

On the installer side, I intentionally did not create any installer to make things simple across OS, user just need to install JRE and the extract the zip file. Hopefully when I release LARAS source code as open source, some people will contribute managing installer for Linux, Windows and Mac.

Again thank you very much to all of you
Hope you guys enjoy it and find it useful

Warmest regards,
Heri Haerudin Hasyim
I am glad that you contacted Ben as I think interaction with the forum users is very important. Your mention of doing a video tutorial is a great call as well. :tu:
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

MutantHero wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:11 pm Hey from a user point of view - message to developers - no one cares or wants to hear about GitHub, or how you challenged yourself with one page of code. Kudos for you for reaching your self made goal but noone cares. We are here to make music. Make something that looks good, sounds good, and is fun to use. Noone cares about your philosophy or erector set mentality. We need tools. Two Cents Baby 🤙

WhispAir takes it this year (for me).
I have to agree about GitHub, I really don't like it at all. I'm undecided on what my voting is going to be at the moment, but what I like about Full Bucket Music apart from making good Vsti's is the support for older versions. My Daw is installed on my Windows Vista 32bit Computer at the moment because it is more powerful than the computer I use for the internet and so it is important to me that there is still support for older versions so that is going to be a factor in my voting for anything that requires a DAW to work.

re the NB01 - distortion/sustainer by Noizebox Industries

I can't actually test the plugin because it loads like this in REAPER (6.3.0, Windows 10, all updates applied)
reaper_BkU7Lhf83n.png
I can mouse over the edges of the effect's window, and see the re-size cursor, but I cannot actually drag the edges in any direction to change the size of the window.
When the FX's interface is made floating, it looks like this:
reaper_MAH8ZTUFCl.png
same problem.
for reference, here's what the FX looks like in other applications (all updated to current):
FLStudio:
FL64_rRM7RtgSDR.png
Waveform 11, on first open:
Bya50KDAbI.png
Waveform 11, on subsequent opens:
Waveform_11_(64-bit)_LEIz7D6cWR.png
Kushview Element, on first open:
4pgMbDckzH.png
Kushview Element, on subsequent open:
mgcgxu77d4.png
HTH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rrrc.bandcamp.com||bandcamp.com/blatanville
"ALL YOUR CUBASE ARE BELONG TO REAPER" - 5.1 Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm
i9-10900CF|32GB|Nvidia RTX3060Ti|Win 11|REAPER|FLStudio|more plugins than I've had hot meals

Is there a deadline for voting and donating? I can't find any information on that.

The entries look interesting but currently I have little time to check them out.

blatanville wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:56 pm I can't actually test the plugin because it loads like this in REAPER (6.3.0, Windows 10, all updates applied)
Thanks a lot for trying a lot of different daws, I have just published a new version (0.1.2) that fixes the tiny editor issue for Reaper, as well as some other small fixes. Let me know if that fixes your problems too.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nb01-- ... industries

xbow wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:33 pm Is there a deadline for voting and donating? I can't find any information on that.

The entries look interesting but currently I have little time to check them out.
The Rules

See Voting below, as for donating I would say probably the day before voting ends.

Any operating system, any plug-in format, a stand-alone application, a sound library - anything that will assist in music making goes! You have three months to get it together - submissions will end on June 30th, 2021. They will all then be hosted for download on the KVR server and released "AT ONCE" for public appraisal and voting!

Although anything goes, you should consider how to appeal to the largest market - things such as open source or being multi-platform may garner a bigger audience, and consequently more votes. This is your call though. Whatever you are comfortable with!

The Basics:

Anyone may enter.
Your entry must be an original creation made by you (your team / crew / company / family). Of course you may reuse code / modules / development frameworks, but the actual plug-in / application / sound library should be a new, original creation, not just an obviously cut-down subset of a program you have already written.
Your entry must not break any copyright rules or license agreements - if your entry uses GPL code then your code should adhere to any restrictions imposed by this, for example.
Your entry must not be restricted in any way that could make it appear to be a demo / trial version for a subsequent "full" release. i.e. It must not be save-disabled or beep every few seconds or nag the user to donate / pay, etc. Your entry should be fully functioning and remain fully functioning forever.
Your entry may support any operating system(s) in general use for making music: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS or Android.
Your entry may support any plug-in format, or be a stand alone application / utility, or be a sound / sample library.
You may use any programming language or development environment (e.g. programming languages such as C++, Delphi, Java, etc. or any of the myriad development applications such as SynthEdit, Flowstone, Max, etc.).
Design and testing must be done in private - public beta testing is not allowed as this may affect the voting process.
During the voting period you may update your entry but updates must be bug fixes ONLY. You are NOT allowed to add new features or rework existing ones during the voting period.
You grant KVRaudio.com the permission to distribute your entry for download via our server from July 1st, 2021, onwards.
You grant KVRaudio.com the permission to act on your behalf, without monetary involvement, for your entry to be published and/or publicized in/on written publications with or without accompanied media such as CDs and DVDs, as well as online publications. You may choose to opt out via a written (email) disapproval of such permission at the time of your entry. KVRaudio.com will not seek or make attempts at financial gain by promoting your entries on written or online publications.

How To Enter:

To enter you will need a KVR Developer Account [get one here - it's free]. If you already manage your products and submit news directly at KVR, you will already have one.
Access the Developer Control area and add your entry as a new product but remember to also set the KVRDC21 flag. Anything flagged as KVRDC21 will NOT be made live on KVR until the KVRDC21 go live date of July 1st, 2021.

Voting:

KVR Members will vote for their favourite entries between July 1st-31st, 2021. Depending on the amount of submissions, the voting period (and consequently the winner announcement date) may be extended for another week or so. All KVR members will be eligible to vote although we may instigate some restrictions at the time of voting - maximum joined date, minimum number of posts, etc. - to help prevent voter fraud.
Voting will be in the form of selecting a top 5:
1st choice will be awarded 5 points.
2nd choice will be awarded 4 points.
3rd choice will be awarded 3 points.
4th choice will be awarded 2 points.
5th choice will be awarded 1 point.
The winners will be announced on August 3rd, 2021.
The prize fund will be delivered to the winners (or charity or recipient of the winners' choices) via PayPal within a week of the winner being announced.

The Prize Fund (Money Money Money)

The prize will be cold, hard, cash, made up from donations from the KVR community. Donations can be made via PayPal or GoFundMe and will be held in escrow by KVR Audio until the winner has been selected. The prize will be paid to the eventual winner via PayPal. We'll endeavor to keep the prize fund total updated here.
The prize fund will be split:
30% to the Windows Plug-in or Standalone Application entry with the most votes 1, 2
30% to the Mac OS X Plug-in or Standalone Application entry with the most votes 1, 2
20% to the next highest placed entry
10% to the highest placed Soundware entry
10% to a wild card random selection
Additional prizes, donated by fellow developers, will also be available and distributed on an ad-hoc basis. If you wish to donate something please contact contactus@kvraudio.com

1 These can be the same entry. If it is multi-format and gets the most votes the entrant would receive 60% of the prize fund.

2 Yes we know Linux (and other OS) appears to be overlooked but the Linux (and other OS) userbase at KVR is very small so we'll concentrate prize distribution on the two major Operating Systems for audio production - Windows and Mac OS X. However, in the event of the unlikely situation that the entry with the most votes is for Linux (or another OS) only it will be awarded 30% of the prize fund and the next 40% will be split between the highest placed Windows and Mac OS X entries (20% each) and the "next highest placed entry" will receive 10% instead of 20%.

Good Luck!

noizebox wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:40 pm Thanks a lot for trying a lot of different daws, I have just published a new version (0.1.2) that fixes the tiny editor issue for Reaper, as well as some other small fixes. Let me know if that fixes your problems too.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nb01-- ... industries

Thanks for the speedy response. It works perfectly in REAPER, now, and sounds delightfully crunchy. I'll play with it much more. Well done, and good luck in the voting.
✌️
i9-10900CF|32GB|Nvidia RTX3060Ti|Win 11|REAPER|FLStudio|more plugins than I've had hot meals

To the makers of FKFX: the one time I managed to get it processing audio, it sounded really great.
However, that was one time out of, perhaps 30 times I've instantiated it.
The plugin loads, the input and output meters show activity, and audio passes through, but it's like it's "dry only." Selecting "wet only" on the interface doesn't produce any change in audio.
I've tested the plugin in REAPER (6.3.0, Windows 10, 64 bit, fully patched), FLStudio, Waveform 11, and Kushview Element.
Also, one of the presets consistently throws an error message when loaded.
reaper_7bMiOSt16j.jpg
HTH
I'm really looking forward to getting this working, because the one time it DID work, it sounded great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

To the makers of Chameleon, there's a slight bug in the interface where, upon first instantiation, the "color" toggle appears very small, but once you click on it, it expands to proper size and position:
reaper_R8JWvIzel3.jpg
reaper_5gMVcKbaVn.jpg
HTH

blatanville wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 am To the makers of FKFX: the one time I managed to get it processing audio, it sounded really great.
The plugin loads, the input and output meters show activity, and audio passes through, but it's like it's "dry only." Selecting "wet only" on the interface doesn't produce any change in audio.
I've tested the plugin in REAPER (6.3.0, Windows 10, 64 bit, fully patched), FLStudio, Waveform 11, and Kushview Element.
OK, that's odd. I have it working without problems in REAPER (currently 6.31) also on Win10 21H1 (whatever the latest build might be), both 64-bit. I've actually spent the last 2 - or maybe 3 :ud: - nights putting together a 20 minute growly ambient track where Influx plays a crucial part.

blatanville wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 am To the makers of FKFX: the one time I managed to get it processing audio, it sounded really great.
Also, one of the presets consistently throws an error message when loaded.
HTH
I'm really looking forward to getting this working, because the one time it DID work, it sounded great.
The solution in this case was actually to press play in the host, because Influx needs sync information to start working.

For the Error 2, this was happening on PC only (PC file naming doesn't support "?" question mark). We updated the HeatAudio Fx preset pack, so reinstall this pack will solve the problem !

Nicolas

I just put in my votes, Grainstrain was the top guy.

I was just glad to have something that produced sound, life on x86 isn't too kind to adventurers, but then I haven't seen much innovation for a while now.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I've had an awesome evening testing the first handful of entries, and already added two plugins to my collection- Solina2K and STFU.

I feel Solina2K by Fanan was a true sleeper, the GUI is very old-fashioned and looks a bit unfinished at places and I didn't expect much, but usability is great and most important- it just sounds fantastic. I've used string machines layered with synths since the original Cheeze Machine, mainly the Eminent-V 301 Reaktor ensemble, but Solina2K offers a much more realistic type of sound for richer layers, and I see myself using this one a lot.

STFU is such a clever and simple concept that I'm surprised I didn't have anything similar before. super useful tool!

So much candy in this year's DC I'm worried I won't have time to check them all out in time!

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”