Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DSP56K Emulator Public Beta NOW AVAILABLE!

The emulator can be downloaded for all platforms from our website here (Free & Open Source): https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/downloads/

For anybody already following our project you will know what this is about.
For any new people please see our thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=559359

Private BETA testing has been happening for the past week and we now feel its ready for the public.

Please note that the download includes only the DSP Emulator as we cannot and will not provide any ROMs due to copyright reasons.

The Emulator currently has no GUI. We have one designed however we need somebody skilled in JUCE to piece it all together. If you think you could help, get in touch!

Despite this, we wanted to get this Emulator out as fast as possible for you to try, so it's possible to use the Emulator via Mystery Islands VirusHC or Ctrlr for now.

The Virus B / C are just the beginning for this Emulator and more synths will be supported in the future!

If you are having problems setting things up or have any bugs to report you will get a much faster response via our Discord server which can be found here:

https://discord.gg/ECt2bujmdh

Donations
If you like what we are doing feel free to buy us a Coffee

Bitcoin: bc1qhfc7kuzznvc9nulcmuup5thvrcgzhypqquf9n9
Ethereum: 0xe0aE1CeC430bc0BAd1ABf86684EA38a7666A1125
Litecoin: LTiZbcJZfby2TxtXwmkf3RjA7C7qnijVzG

Thank you and Enjoy,

The Usual Suspects
Last edited by numerouno on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you so much!! :D

What you guys have created is a synth plugin miracle. It's extraordinarily exciting to finally, after all these ears, see some genuine interest in resurrecting the digital powerhouses from the 90's/early 2k era. That you guys were able to work as quickly as you did and already bring two Viruses in a matter of months is beyond words. Nothing in the synth development world comes close to what you guys have done and I'm extremely excited for the future :party: :clap: :phones:

Looking forward to the native GUI that is free to use, some Waldorf action coming up, and hopefully multi-chip synths like the Nord Lead 3, WaldorfQ and Novation Supernova in the future

bitcoin? :lol:

AnX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:39 pm bitcoin? :lol:
haha! you will have to excuse our choice of Donation method, using PayPal etc would have meant tying one of our personal names to the project, hope you understand :)

Shiek927 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:31 pmand hopefully multi-chip synths like the Nord Lead 3, WaldorfQ and Novation Supernova in the future
Those will need CPUs that don't yet exist... NL3 and Supernova both have 6 DSPs, and currently you need a lot of a single CPU core of a not-exactly-weak CPU to run Virus B or C. Lots of work to get there.

numerouno wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:51 pm
haha! you will have to excuse our choice of Donation method, using PayPal etc would have meant tying one of our personal names to the project, hope you understand :)
actually, i dont.... its all legal and legit isn't it?... so what's wrong with using a name?

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:13 pm
Shiek927 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:31 pmand hopefully multi-chip synths like the Nord Lead 3, WaldorfQ and Novation Supernova in the future
Those will need CPUs that don't yet exist... NL3 and Supernova both have 6 DSPs, and currently you need a lot of a single CPU core of a not-exactly-weak CPU to run Virus B or C. Lots of work to get there.
That's why I said the future! it's something to look forward too. In the mean time, there's loads of ground to cover with a single DSP chip from all the Viruses, MicroKorg, Waldorf MW and MicroQ. Plenty of fun to be had :)

Sadly I don't think single core performance is going to be advancing hugely anymore. At least on x86...

AnX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:22 pm
actually, i dont.... its all legal and legit isn't it?... so what's wrong with using a name?
Emulator itself is legit and legal, but it's up to the people writing it if they want to have their names attached to it or not.

Rather standard stuff in the realm of emulators, really.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:58 pm
AnX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:22 pm
Emulator itself is legit and legal, but it's up to the people writing it if they want to have their names attached to it or not.

Rather standard stuff in the realm of emulators, really.
What he said ^^^^^

Thanks @evildragon

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:56 pm Sadly I don't think single core performance is going to be advancing hugely anymore. At least on x86...
Yeah, it's honestly a dang shame about the Supernova. It's got a 'smaller' version in the form of the Nova, the same as Korg with the MicroKorg for the MS2000 or the MicroQ for the WaldorfQ (neither of which sound 'worse' than the original and pack practically the same functionality), but packs almost as many chips as the big one.

Access Music clearly knew what they were doing to make such a long line of great synths all with a single DSP chip.

TI/TI2 have two DSPs running at 150 MHz. Or maybe they overclocked those too, like they did the one in Virus C (runs at 136 MHz instead of 120 that the chip is nominated for)?

If NL3 et al has 6 DSPs why can't an emulator be programmed to use at least 6 cores? Is it a limitation with how DAWs or plugin formats work?

Edit: Out of pure curiosity, how would multiple DSPs actually work? I'm *assuming* each DSP isn't working on the same sample at the same time unless it's split into a parallel audio stream (like an fx section with mix knob type thing)? Would any DSPs working on the same audio stream would be set up in series, like one dsp is an oscillator, that gets processed and sent to another DSP that acts as a filter, etc? Hopefully what I typed isn't complete nonsense, but I'm just curious how a multi-cpu setup would work for audio.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:13 pm
Does anyone know if all CPUs are used when just one part is active, do they have the equivalent of 'smart disable'? If so, one part/layer shouldn't be too intensive and might run fine.

People with fast PCs could then later instances to do the same, the rest of us could bounce layers down.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

I will leave others to speculate on what the future might give us and just express my surprised gratitude for the gift given in the present. Thank you to all involved.

:tu:
바보

Return to “Instruments”