Phuturetone GR-8 V/A Synth (KVR Dev Challenge)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

if he/they dumped the fx and added more features, it might be worth trying

as it is, it's far too simple to even consider downloading (i mean, its not going to replace anything I already have....)

gui looks good tho...

Filter is nice, GUI is nice, sound is generally nice.

I tried it against a few I have but it doesn't really add enough to the table for me - even as a freebie.

Wish it had more filter flavours

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:35 pm
Reading that thread, though, I can't believe this was made in SynthEdit. SE has obviously come a long, long way since I stopped using it.
Maybe prototyped? SynthEdit can't export AUs.

Looks like it can now (I didn't know either): http://www.synthedit.com/downloads/
SynthEdit 1.4 (64-bit) - for making 64-bit VST2 and VST3 Windows plugins. Also has support for Audio Unit plugins. [Recommended].

GR8.png

Anyway we've been given three very nice synths in this year's Developer's Challenge.

GR-8, Reducktion, and WhispAir.

So far my vote goes to Reducktion but they are all very nice. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

oh damn, i wish Synthedit was available on mac.

What a fab simple little synth. Love it !

Who cares whether it was made with Synthedit. Its great.

I have spent ages just tweaking just one pre-set, "Bass Electrical". :)

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:58 pm To answer your questzion: Nope, it doesn't do anything groundbreaking which others don't, but, it's really nice. Can only recommend to check it out. CPU use might not be as severe on your computer. Mine has a mid tier CPU from 2013, so, that's that.
Yeah... CPU usage far too heavy for what it does. I got a lot of breakup with a number of patches in studio-one5. Changing the buffer latency to max didn't help at all. Some patches made no sound because the dist module was activated with the vol turned down. My impression... this was thrown together, ( like a lot of the entries seem to be) probably a project that was an experiment that sat around. The GUI is the best thing about it. I haven't bothered to test any other entries. Frankly, this challenge seems like a throwback to the early days of SYNTHEDIT, my first plugin days. This synth was the only thing that looked worthwhile to me. Oh well, Plugin folder...saved! 8)

i guess synth edit doesn't allow for such great optimization .

AnX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:14 pmif he/they dumped the fx and added more features, it might be worth trying
Like what? It's got everything you could possibly need already.
as it is, it's far too simple to even consider downloading (i mean, its not going to replace anything I already have....)
Why would it need to? To me it seemed strikingly similar to Invader but when you listen to them side by side, they each have their own sound. They are really nothing alike, even though they have pretty much exactly the same feature set.

That said, I can see this replacing DUNE in a lot of places for us. It has a similarly bright, aggressive sound without all the bloat.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

pc2000 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:12 pmMy impression... this was thrown together, ( like a lot of the entries seem to be) probably a project that was an experiment that sat around.
Are you f**king kidding me!?! Have you bothered to listen to it? It sounds great, easily able to compete with $200 ubersynths on sound quality. And its FREE! If it wasn't for the CPU hit - which is only a problem on the Surface we use live, it's barely a blip on my studio laptop - I could see this becoming my go-to synth. You don't throw something of this quality together overnight. That it was done within the 3 months time limit of the Dev Challenge is extraordinary. Yet all you want to do is have a whinge.

SynthEdit might have been used to put it all together but I daresay the developer has done his own coding on it, too. Remember that Sylenth 1 started out as an SE synth, although Lennard only ever used it for the GUI, all the guts were hand-coded. It means nothing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:11 am That said, I can see this replacing DUNE in a lot of places for us. It has a similarly bright, aggressive sound without all the bloat.
I haven't used Dune since v1 so couldn't comment but agree about the sound, I'm finding it a really nice compliment to Invader2, that covers the warmer end of things and GR8 for more cutting sounds.

I mean, I'm sure I could get the same kind of sounds from Surge or suchlike but there's an appeal to the simplicity of a synth like this, I'll still fire up Aalto etc for the more experimental stuff but a lot of milage in GR8 for day-to-day stuff.

Abso-fuckin'-lutely! Why dick about with a megasynth when all you need is something like this?

was mod in here or did i imagine commenting on this and haven't?

About CPU usage: since this is a beta, that might still improve. Otherwise this seems nice and full-featured. Great work!

Return to “Instruments”