SILO - spatial reverb from Unfiltered Audio / PA

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:00 pm If you guys didn't already use your voucher, they would probably give you one if you ask. It would be an easy way for them to shut you up. :lol:
You get a voucher automatically if you're on their mailing list. The more you've spent the higher value the voucher you receive.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:00 pm If you guys didn't already use your voucher, they would probably give you one if you ask. It would be an easy way for them to shut you up. :lol:
You get a voucher automatically if you're on their mailing list. The more you've spent the higher value the voucher you receive.
Yeah, it doesn't mean they can't issue one. I've gotten them before, even after spending my
regular monthly voucher. When I used to get one anyway.

I've been watching several videos about Silo. I'm realizing, like many other people, that the presets are not telling you much, that you have to dig into Silo and tweak away. This guy on YouTube, Synthetic_Future, has done several videos in depth about Silo. I've learned the most from his videos. Highly recommended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YSGARIhfo&t=11s
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

Is Silo multi-touch capable?
Is it made using Juce?

By the way it is now available for $30.
viewtopic.php?p=8155973#p8155973

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:09 pm Is Silo multi-touch capable?
Is it made using Juce?

They do use JUCE I believe, someone's fork sound radix maybe, I forget.

Its really weird that SILO is described as a reverb.
ImageImageImageImage

What I find really odd: Silo has this wonderful spatial field but doesn't output at least quad audio - what a wasted opportunity!
Should be rather simple to make the particles be X/Y panned instead of only stereo...
Would be my number one wish for it...

Cheers,

Tom

Edit: And +1 on just ignoring the presets. I would have skipped it for the presets, then did my own stuff and really love it. It's simple enough to use to just go explore.
And that Midi input feature is gorgeous. A single note from the analog synth goes in and Silo "plays" it while I play with the knobs... :-)
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:09 pm Is Silo multi-touch capable?
Is it made using Juce?

made in Juce. multi-touch on windows? no it is not implemented, JUCE can do it, reason; they have no way to test it. on windows.. (maybe even Mac, i don't know.)

is it still touchscreen friendly on windows, a bit, except for the tooltips, that keep their last focus, so a focus problem. it works, disable tooltips, and.. but it can be better, it would be great, if all UA plugins got touchscreen support, especially the modular ones.

and indeed the vouchers are identical this month.. so, indeed silo for $30 (+VAT, when for example in EU), which also was the price i payed, so...

well spend! beast of rever... uh, granular, by the way it is listed under Reverb & FX, so nothing strange, nothing to see...

^^^
Thanks.
IIRC If made with Juce then it is automatically multi-touch capable.
My OS is Windows. See my Signature for my touch screen.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:23 pm ^^^
Thanks.
IIRC If made with Juce then it is automatically multi-touch capable.
My OS is Windows. See my Signature for my touch screen.
not automatically it seems... i try to find it in Juce, i am not a dev, but couldn't find it, yet.., still you must do something of course, a lib? or i don't know.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:48 pm What I find really odd: Silo has this wonderful spatial field but doesn't output at least quad audio - what a wasted opportunity!
Should be rather simple to make the particles be X/Y panned instead of only stereo...
Would be my number one wish for it...

Cheers,

Tom

Edit: And +1 on just ignoring the presets. I would have skipped it for the presets, then did my own stuff and really love it. It's simple enough to use to just go explore.
And that Midi input feature is gorgeous. A single note from the analog synth goes in and Silo "plays" it while I play with the knobs... :-)
The DSP is pretty much there to do multi-channel output. The problem is that Silo was written while we were in quarantine so there was no ability for us to do QA testing on quad, 5.1, 7.1, etc. systems. We'd love to do it at some point, but we need to find places where we can do pretty intensive testing.

thelizard wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:38 pm The DSP is pretty much there to do multi-channel output. The problem is that Silo was written while we were in quarantine so there was no ability for us to do QA testing on quad, 5.1, 7.1, etc. systems. We'd love to do it at some point, but we need to find places where we can do pretty intensive testing.
That is great to hear Michael!
I was quite surprised to see it absent, since the Spatializer seems to shout for it being at least quad.
Could also be interesting to do a binaural output for headphones if you have encoder code available.
A basic quad system is very simple to build and set up if your audio device has at least four outputs.

I do all my audio work in surround, using a self-created surround panner in Bitwig Studios native modulation system. Bitwig itself is still only using stereo tracks, but with it's very flexible routing and groups, quad is very simple to do and I even have a 5.1 setup going that works for my non-Hollywood needs.
I'm using simple quad-panning though, no real spatial simulation.

So I hope your system will not require multi-channel audio tracks (like some surround plugins do) but will also allow for stereo input to multi-channel output like it's available in Bitwig.

I'd be happy to test any version you might have (Windows 8.1 x64, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Bitwig Studio).

Silo has a lot of potential for really amazing spatial effects!

Would also be cool to give the user some say in how the Midi Notes are used (think Arpeggiator) - that angle really got me sucked in and could be made more obvious in the GUI... :-)

Thanks and Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

The sketch for a new composition played with a custom Pianoteq 7 patch (harp model) layered with a lyre I multi-sampled for one of my Falcon libraries and one of my Pigments pads. Processed with SILO, a patch from my Molekular expansion DNA, some B2 reverb and some Breeze 2 reverb on the SILO signal. Tweaking SILO and Molekular on the fly.
https://youtu.be/MNXXBe0vqk4

Is it just me or is CPU usage really high with this plug-in?

On Bitwig studio at 256 buffer size, loading one instance of SILO is taking my CPU from a ~8% up to ~80%. Love this plugin but that level of usage seems a bit excessive.
multi-platinum music producer / songwriter
https://www.takaperry.com

takaperry wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:14 pm Is it just me or is CPU usage really high with this plug-in?

On Bitwig studio at 256 buffer size, loading one instance of SILO is taking my CPU from a ~8% up to ~80%. Love this plugin but that level of usage seems a bit excessive.
Just tested - not at all for me. Couldn't see any noticeable effect on the CPU meter.

Return to “Effects”