Dead Duck Reducktion

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reducktion

Having a lot of fun with this synth. Anyone else?

I encountered a couple of bugs today but I want to try an reproduce them again tomorrow before reporting.

I've got some patches and GUI color edits to share soon. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

yes... to me it's the best sounding synth of the kvr challenge. A great upgrade to Deducktion. The effects are really nice and the step sequencer a great addition.
I'm not a big fan of the GUI but if I'm right we can make skins.
Also the presets are not really impressive and probably don't show the synth potential so yours are really welcome :tu:

Next level for sure. This will replace some commercial synths for me.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Just a warning....Don't try to adjust the SEQ Rate while it's running. That's caused stuck notes that even all notes off commands can't stop. Only deleting the plugin has worked. (Win 10 Cakewalk by Bandlab and Reaper).

Also I can't get the Mod Wheel to lower the Cutoff Frequency while the SEQ is running. I haven't been able to get the MW to change Filter 2 cutoff at all but I'll keep working on it, maybe others can try as well and see if they get the same results.

I'm working on some more patches today perhaps I'll drop them here later....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 pmAlso I can't get the Mod Wheel to lower the Cutoff Frequency while the SEQ is running. I haven't been able to get the MW to change Filter 2 cutoff at all but I'll keep working on it, maybe others can try as well and see if they get the same results.
This isn't a bug, its a limitation; at present none of the MIDI controllers are passed on to the notes generated by the sequencer. This is something I plan to improve in a future release, once the DC is over.

As for changing the sequence rate while playing I don't remember having any problems with this during testing but I'll look into it.

Edit: I can duplicate the stuck notes quite easily (so much for testing!) but in each case I could stop them by turning the sequencer off and on again, nothing drastic enough to warrant removing the plugin. In any case I'll see about getting a fix out for the stuck notes ASAP.

Ahhh I see thanks. Can you get MW to Filter 2 when the SEQ is not running?

You're right turning off Run works to stop the stuck notes. I thought I had tried that but I guess not. :dog:

I'm loving Reducktion. It's got my vote for winner. :tu:

Anyway here are 15 patches if anybody is interested:
Reducktion Teksonik 02.zip
I re-uploaded the patches due to a change in 1.0.0.1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

--

Clem4 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:52 amyes... to me it's the best sounding synth of the kvr challenge.
Really? I had a quick play with it this morning and found it very ordinary and uninspiring. I encountered several issues in the design of the instrument that I think limit it more than somewhat - e.g. the filters seem to be hard-wired in series, no option for paralleling them, and there are no retrigger modes (Mono/Legato type stuff) that I could find - and the sound seems anodyne, like dozens of other synths. To be fair, I just ran through the presets and tried a few tweaks but nothing I heard made me feel like spending any more time with it when I have GR-8 to play with.

So where is the magic happening for you guys? What makes it better than GR-8 or WhispAir? To me it doesn't seem anywhere near as good as either.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Reduction has been updated to version 1.0.0.1

This should fix the stuck notes problem in the sequencer; if not please report it here.

Download from KVR: https://static.kvraudio.com/files/2274/ ... _0_0_1.zip

Seq stuck note issue seems to be fixed. I gave it a pretty good testing. :tu:

There are some requests I'd make if there is going to be a commercial version beyond the Developer's Challenge version like more Mod Matrix destinations such as Tune and Volume 1,2 and 3 combined, ADSR, etc and more Filter Routing options.

Here's some Reducktion Theme color edits:

Reducktion Orange.png
Reducktion Blue.png

I can't seem to edit the Default Theme as changes in the text file don't seem to have any effect. You can however change out the knobs by renaming the file.

Minimal Orange.zip
Minimal Blue 1.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:54 pm I can't seem to edit the Default Theme as changes in the text file don't seem to have any effect.
Did you remove the '#' from the start of the line you wanted to change?

The Theme.txt file in the Default directory is just an example, it's not actually part of the theme itself. All the values are commented out to stop them overriding the actual built-in values of the theme.

Thanks, I didn't even notice the # in front of each line. So making a copy of the default theme and removing the # works while preserving the default. :tu:

I like more muted themes for long periods of viewing as I find red a bit harsh on my eyes:

Reducktion Default Blue.png

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:35 am
Clem4 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:52 amyes... to me it's the best sounding synth of the kvr challenge.
Really?

So where is the magic happening for you guys? What makes it better than GR-8 or WhispAir? To me it doesn't seem anywhere near as good as either.
Hey Bones

For me....It's all about the edges and extremes.

Using the default sound no filter. The lower bass register is thick and beefey ala The Legend.

Setting up a FM bell chime the very high registers notes are crystal clear. ( Most freeware and some payware are not )

The 24db filter is nice and juicy and you can get deep into resonance with out it squeezing in controllably. The peak filter is even better with this

The decay portion of the envelopes feels right to me ala Spire, Element 2 or Uno lx. Especially at very slight adjustments near zero. Not exactly the same but that slight bump at the end.

The Reverb is very nice.
It is a Three OSC synth with real FM/pm.

The FM section sounds very alive to me.

It is all one one page and I can read it.

There are companies asking $50.00 or more for synth that do not have these qualities.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Hmmm it seems like version 1.0.0.1 has changed the SEQ rate value in the patches I posted earlier. They all load with the rate way too fast now so I've edited them. If you downloaded them before please download again:

EDIT: Well crap now I'm getting the SEQ running way too slow. Not sure what the heck is going on. Can someone tell me if the patches I uploaded earlier are playing too fast or sound about right or ?

Patches set to 1/16 were playing way too fast so I changed them to 1/4 and now they're playing way too slow. I have to figure out what's happening. It might be DAW dependent but they're all set to 120BPM. :?

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”