Dead Duck Reducktion KVR Dev Challenge

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reducktion

Well since two of the other synths in the Dev's challenge have threads in the Instruments forum it's only fair that Reducktion has its own. :tu:

It's getting my vote based on sound and features. The other two entries are behind only by a fraction of a point as they are all very nice synths. Perhaps the best Dev Challenge class in memory for synths at least.

Here's some patches:
Reducktion Teksonik 01.zip
And some Theme Color Edits:
Minimal Blue 1.zip
Minimal Orange.zip
EDIT: Can someone test the patches with Reducktion 1.0.0.1 and see if the Arp and Seq patches are playing too fast or too slow or? I tried loading them up here couple of minutes ago and the Seqs were running crazy fast. Not sure what's going on. I'll have to work on it some more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:31 pm Well since two of the other synths in the Dev's challenge have threads in the Instruments forum it's only fair that Reducktion has its own. :tu:

It's getting my vote based on sound and features. The other two entries are behind only by a fraction of a point as they are all very nice synths. Perhaps the best Dev Challenge class in memory for synths at least.

Here's some patches:

Reducktion Teksonik 01.zip

And some Theme Color Edits:

Minimal Blue 1.zip

Minimal Orange.zip

EDIT: Can someone test the patches with Reducktion 1.0.0.1 and see if the Arp and Seq patches are playing too fast or too slow or? I tried loading them up here couple of minutes ago and the Seqs were running crazy fast. Not sure what's going on. I'll have to work on it some more.
Thank you for your cool patches.

Trying your three SEQs pathces, there seems to be no problem here. They play correctlly at 1/16.

Thank you. :hug:

I don't know what happened here. The Seqs and Arps started playing crazy fast like 1/128 then everything is fine now. Ghosts in the machine I guess. :shrug:

I added a few more patches and tweaked the olds ones a bit:
Reducktion Teksonik 03.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I will try it next week. Anyone who already used it: how do the oscillators sound? What I'm missing in most virtual analog synths is the "drift" feature that U-He Tyrell has. I think TAL Noisemaker has it too. It adds very slight variations / drift to the oscillators pitch, too approximate the sound of analog oscillators.

Edited

Vortifex wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:07 pmA quirk with the random modulation: if you randomise panning at 100% it only pans between the centre and right, you have to set the oscillator pan 100% left for the modulation to work properly.
I can't reproduce this; modulating Osc Pan with a random LFO causes panning to the left and the right. Was the LFO Offset set to 0 when you tried this? If the offset was set to 100 it would show the behaviour you describe but that is as intended.

Edited

Vortifex wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:25 pmSorry, I should have clarified: I am using the random option in the mod matrix, not the LFO. It seems to work fine if I set an LFO to random and use that. Using the mod matrix option will weight the panning to the right if set at 100%, and weight it to the left if set at -100%. Setting it at zero of course produces no effect, so it's not possible to use that option to produce a balanced effect without setting the oscillator pan full left or right.
Yes, that makes more sense. I suppose you could call this a quirk; its a consequence of having a modulation system that combines both unipolar (0 to +100) and bipolar (-50 to +50) modulation sources and targets.

To modulate Osc Pan around the centre setting you need to apply a modulation range of -50 to +50 which is what you normally get from the LFOs. A 100% random modulation generates a number between 0 and +100 so it will modulate the pan from centre to right as you have seen. In fact it will over-modulate as maximum pan right is at +50, anything over this has no effect.

To get random left/right panning you can set the pan to the left as you have done; here the pan starts at -50 and is modulated into the correct range by the random modulator (0 to 100 effectively becomes -50 to +50).

Alternatively, you can use the mod matrix to apply an additional 'constant' modulation of -50 to the Osc Pan to bias the random modulator to +/-50 around the centre point.

This technique is useful with all modulators where the modulation source is 0 to +100 but the target needs to change around its current setting.

Kazi7 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:13 pm I will try it next week. Anyone who already used it: how do the oscillators sound? What I'm missing in most virtual analog synths is the "drift" feature that U-He Tyrell has. I think TAL Noisemaker has it too. It adds very slight variations / drift to the oscillators pitch, too approximate the sound of analog oscillators.

Drift or no drift....to my ears Reduction sounds better. Especially the unison. I like Noisemaker but it isn't as harmonically rich sounding as Reduction. I have tried for years to like Tyrell. I go back to it from time to time as my ear and experience develop. I just don't like the sound or the envelopes. But to be fair. Reduction is new the other two are nearly a decade old.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

EVERY soft synth should have a drift/slop knob. (and Pan/Spread too)

i really like this synth. thank you mr. dead duck :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

On both Reducktion and Deducktion, when holding a note with the sustain pedal, that note doesn't re-trigger.

Dave Schreier wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:10 am On both Reducktion and Deducktion, when holding a note with the sustain pedal, that note doesn't re-trigger.
Yes, both these synths normally ignore any further note-on messages once a note has started playing. This was designed for simple playback where you can't play a note a second time until you've released it but clearly using sustain provides a way to do this.

Thanks for pointing this out, I plan to review the whole mono/legato/retrigger behaviour in Reducktion so this is something else to think about.

swatwork wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
Dave Schreier wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:10 am On both Reducktion and Deducktion, when holding a note with the sustain pedal, that note doesn't re-trigger.
Yes, both these synths normally ignore any further note-on messages once a note has started playing. This was designed for simple playback where you can't play a note a second time until you've released it but clearly using sustain provides a way to do this.
Also dependent on the controller, on my LinnStrument I do that all the time. Any isomorphic layout has the same notes multiple times at different places. Think Bandoneon and you know what I mean…

Return to “Instruments”