Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
55%
No.
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
20%

Total votes: 116

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every so often there's a thread about audio visualisation, or someone mentions video synthesisers including Eurorack stuff, there's been threads about video editors, and there are the occasional VJ-ish plugins out there (eg VS visual synthesiser, which I found out about today) including M4L stuff for Live.

Kinda seems it might be worthwhile?
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

hjh
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:53 pm. I've noticed there has been a lot more credence given to 3D spatialisation in the high end plugins lately and that will only get greater I imagine. At some point that has to (probably already has) tie in to 3D software/Video.
There's a bit of an overlap between that and 360 video production and VR. The Dear Audio plugins for example, which are also available for game engines.

Though that kind of gets into the realm of audio for video, rather than video for audio, if you see what I mean.
I'd certainly enjoy reading others who do work in the field or who have more experience geeking out or just bringing us older stuffier folk up to speed.
Likewise. And although its a bit niche within the KVR audience, it does come up every so often; on a par with the DIY forum perhaps.

I have no idea about eurorack and no idea about M4L (except in concept), but I do know a little about the excellent Zgame Visualiser included with FLStudio. And it's only getting better. GoL was a graphics genius. I assume he's not maintaining that code anymore but whoever is seems to be improving on it all the time. I just wish that I had the time.
I -think- that Zgame is actually something they licensed, so I honestly dont know how much input Gol had to the FL version. But yeah, I think its the only thing of its type (visual 'engine')that's integrated into a mainstream DAW except for Max4Live.
I would ask you to define 'audio visualisation' as you understand it to get a better grip on the question, but I just saw that there was new software that you only discovered yourself today. And I and probably a million other people don't know what you are talking about.
Basically anything which will use (parts of) the audio to drive parameters of 'something' generating visuals. Most exposure people probably get is via the kind of thing you used to get in Mp3 player software, ie Milkdrop for Winamp.
The 'classic' I remember from the time of my earliest KVR days was a standalone thing called Cthugha. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthugha_(software)
They're usually fairly autonomous apart from the audio input, more controllable versions edge into the space of software like Resolume or TouchDesigner.
It's a very expansive topic.
It is, and the threads/posts that mention it vary quite a lot, but it just seemed like it would be useful to have an umbrella forum, because it comes up often enough.
Maybe there doesn't need to be too many restrictions if greater rules are defined.
I think the main thing would be what Ive already said; that it wouldnt really be about writing music for picture or whatever, or even really about video editing/production in and of itself.

It might have once been close to that dreaded 'multimedia' word, but this isnt the 1990s so we can probably run away laughing anyone who thinks that's still cool.

Personally Im kinda interested in (lofi) video synthesis (ie analogue TV resolution) and realtime generated/visualisation stuff from game engines, and also 3D tools like Houdini.

but for myself im really just poking about the edges to see what i could maybe do that would be interesting if I ever got off my arse to do it. it overlaps with stuff that occasionally comes up at work too.

Anyway, at the end of the day, what Im saying is that this kind of stuff already comes up at KVR, so wondered if it makes sense to give it a place of its own. Like the DIY forum or the relatively new Guitar forum.

i'm for that, seems like a good idea.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

I think it's a good idea as well.

my only fear "do i need another obsession?" :lol:

although, things like eyesie and standalones like that (not to mention old school "analogue" fx ala visual feedback loops and such :love: ) already have a little interest in that direction...

A video editing forum, possibly combined with a "Video Cafe Forum" for users to get critique on their videos/animations in relation to their music, might be a good idea. I'm all in for it.

It would be good idea, seems like it would be a proper place for GUI's, theming, skins and etc. threads.

It’s always been an interesting subject to me. Lately I’ve been looking into the techniques used in the classic psychedelic light shows (liquid light squish plates, etc) — if that stuff interests you check out Steve Pavlovsky’s YouTube channel:

Liquid Light Lab
https://youtube.com/user/LiquidLightLab

I’m also very interested in learning how to film that and combine with other analog and digital video effects as a way to make interesting music videos, so it’s definitely a Yes vote for me on a Video forum.

Edit: just watched the latest episode of Psychedelic Light Show Review and was reminded that they are called squish plates not squash plates.
Last edited by guitarzan on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:16 pm It would be good idea, seems like it would be a proper place for GUI's, theming, skins and etc. threads.
I wouldnt have thought so, and its not even slightly what I was talking about. A graphics/UI/skinning forum would possibly be a good idea too, but that's stuff's just not 'video'... :shrug:

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:04 pm Every so often there's a thread about audio visualisation, or someone mentions video synthesisers including Eurorack stuff, there's been threads about video editors, and there are the occasional VJ-ish plugins out there (eg VS visual synthesiser, which I found out about today) including M4L stuff for Live.

Kinda seems it might be worthwhile?
makes sense to me :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:46 am I wouldnt have thought so, and its not even slightly what I was talking about. A graphics/UI/skinning forum would possibly be a good idea too, but that's stuff's just not 'video'... :shrug:
You are right, I meant like visual section or something like Graphic/Video Forum.

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:55 am You are right, I meant like visual section or something like Graphic/Video Forum.
I'd be a bit disappointed to see them combined, because I think they mostly have different 'purposes' as far as they serve the 'end user' but if its the choice between one forum or none, then yeah. But if there's the possibility of two, then I think the separation would be more useful for the folk interested in either of those things...

Agree!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”