2021 - Favorite Drum Software?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Yeah, i'm sure i'll buy it for $19. The map looks improved.

Any reason to get Atlas (2) as an XO user?

gondii wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:12 pm Any reason to get Atlas (2) as an XO user?
Right now, no need.

gondii wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:12 pm Any reason to get Atlas (2) as an XO user?
Atlas will give you a truly random kit which XO doesn't.

Besides how good a drums programmable instrument can be, I think that one of the most appreciated qualities is that its sequencer has MIDI output to be able to play the programmed patterns with other drum sound plugins (sampler, drum romplers etc).

This is featured natively in Strike, PlayBeat, Drumazone, DrumComputer and many others.
But also there are some (great) drums machines that don't allow that although they do allow exporting MIDI data in the DAW.

Could a list be made here classifying those that don't have MIDI output and those that do?
This could be useful because this feature is not always documented or is a hidden resource.

I'm talking about real time MIDI data transmission from the internal sequencer.
Last edited by Jazzguitar on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Session guitarist and music producer from Venezuela
One of my old demos: (Scarbee and Overloud)
https://bit.ly/3mDq0D3

Ujam's drums all have drag 'n' drop of patterns into a piano roll, does that count?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Favourite Drum Software ?

BFD3...

Killer :wink:
No auto tune...

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:52 am Ujam's drums all have drag 'n' drop of patterns into a piano roll, does that count?
Yes, Ujam BM and VD are wonderful tools in their own right, and although they don't transmit MIDI in real time (AFIK) their drag 'n' drop ability is impressive! an incredibly fast and effective way to share its grooves with other drum sound sources.

Although I think they are so good at their own grooves that you don't think much about playing them with others, except between themselves, for example I usually import and exchange MIDI data between them. haven't you tried the VD DEEP patterns with BM Glory? or the BM HYPE ones with VD SOLID?
With a little bit of MIDI note and velocity adjustments you get very interesting results!

No, I mostly program them from the sequencer in my host, or I use one of their patterns as a basic beat and manually add more hits over the top. I don't have any of the ones you mentioned but I reckon I've got all the others - BM Nemesis (my favourite), BM Eden, BM Dope, BM Vice and VD Heavy (second favourite). I've tried the others but they're not my kind of thing. I don't like Dope much, either, but it was free. They are the only drums I use now, except for Ferrum (Kontakt instrument). They make things so much easier than Battery or Groove Agent and they sound absolutely top-notch with almost no effort from me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Jazzguitar wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:15 am Besides how good a drums programmable instrument can be, I think that one of the most appreciated qualities is that its sequencer has MIDI output to be able to play the programmed patterns with other drum sound plugins (sampler, drum romplers etc).

This is featured natively in Battery, Strike, PlayBeat, Drumazone, DrumComputer and many others.
Battery has a sequencer? Where is it?

I've been using Microtonic to drive Battery sometimes.

Octave_Jumper wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:26 pm
neverenoughfunk wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:17 pm no one uses Ik Multimedia's MODO Drums?

Yeah, I like it a lot. For my beats I usually use Sitala + Sononym sample manager / XLN XO / random chopped up loops but it's been fun getting into acoustic kits with MODO. A lot of cool, varied presets to explore and a nice amount of things to tweak. You can definitely get a really impressive sound out of it and I think the interface is pretty good.

I also own MODO Drum which I like but is too intensive on the CPU. I have an Motu M4 and even with a buffer size of 512, I still get crackle and pop when using it in Presonus Studio One.
I always go back to my Addictive Drum.
Daw : Bitwig 5 Producer / Presonus Studio One 6
Hardware: MOTU M4 / NI Komplete Kontrol S61 MKII
Computer : Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win11 Home 23H2

imrae wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:52 am
Jazzguitar wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:15 am Besides how good a drums programmable instrument can be, I think that one of the most appreciated qualities is that its sequencer has MIDI output to be able to play the programmed patterns with other drum sound plugins (sampler, drum romplers etc).

This is featured natively in Battery, Strike, PlayBeat, Drumazone, DrumComputer and many others.
Battery has a sequencer? Where is it?

I've been using Microtonic to drive Battery sometimes.

Yes, you're right, Battery falls into the category of drum sampler with not built-in sequencer. Correction done, Thanks.

Microtonic is great, and has a unique sonorous personality, but today I prefer the magic of DrumComputer and Rob Papen Punch2 for pure electronic drums sounds.

Ive been sleeping on microtonic.
Tried drumcomputer vs microtonic recently and somehow Drum Computer kicks are bit flabby and hats are never really sharp.
I like it, but kinda feel like microtonic is better for more straight synth drum sounds - somehow harder to make it sound bad.
Although i like sample layering in DC, its kind of a nuissance because they dont get saved with the project - so i prefer sticking to logic’s quicksampler for that.

We’ll see if i can get a market license before my trial runs out.

Also new microtonic skins are gorgeous.

Microtonic always sounds great with minimal effort I think, it's got to be one of the best available imo.
Even after all these years...

pekbro wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:48 pm Microtonic always sounds great with minimal effort I think, it's got to be one of the best available imo.
Even after all these years...
Their machine learned retro patches really shows how flexible this little one is. I used to think it had its own distinctive sound but it doesn’t have to.

Return to “Instruments”