Why does Microsoft hate us (#@$ Windows 10)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tony10000 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:23 pm Time to look at Linux...
It's not really an option for most people, yet. I use Linux every day and have been for decades and I still hate it for audio.

To work through some of the crap I've switched one of my work machines to Linux and I do some simple audio/video editing and live production. I'm going to do all of that in Linux using only natively compiled Linux plugins and apps that are painless to install. For that though, I don't care at all about things like latency. There's no performance, per se, and I don't even monitor the audio while recording.

Wine is great, wine is still a pig. Things run, but no they don't. You can smooth fonts, but wait, it's not working correctly everywhere and there are 47 different and conflicting sets of instructions to get that working.

Linux on the desktop isn't even that hard anymore. X just works, apps and updates are easy. I had my work machine up, from scratch, on a brand new laptop in less time than it would have taken to configure and update Windows. The Windows that the machine came with never even saw the light of day. First boot was into the BIOS so I could tell it to boot from the USB install disk on the second boot. I didn't have to hunt down a single driver, it all works. It even works with my Kontrol 1 which is no longer supported on Windows 10. Just plug it in, and there it is. Ethernet dongle just works and I didn't order anything special, just what was cheap on Amazon.

Reaper works great in Linux using the standard Linux distribution. Everything just works. It's just when you start looking at Wine and ASIO and multi-input sound cards, and controllers for those sound cards and on and on it just gets messy quickly and most people don't have the patience for it. I do nerdy tech things on the daily and I get fed up with it.

Maybe I'll change my mind later this year after doing some audio/video work on the new daily driver.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:10 am
"Often"!?! Spare me days! I'm an Insider, I get beta versions and in the whole time I have been using/testing Win10, I have had exactly one issue - it reassigned the drive letter to a microSD card during the update process, which I fixed by changing it back to what it was. Hardly a problem.
You have to remember that if you read about 100,000 people having an issue, that is about 0.01% of users. The chance of it affecting you is almost nothing. You have to put these things in perspective and., above all, use you common sense.
Omg Bones, all this discussion and i had no idea that you’re an insider. You are obviously significantly more knowledgeable about computers, networkings, privacy, security, OSs in general and probably a lot more than i can even imagine. In addition i just didn’t understand that your opinion is a million times more valid than mine. I’m really sorry, now i know better.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

It's not my f**king opinion, it is my direct experience. My opinion is that I hate Microsoft even more than I hate Apple or Google, because Microsoft have screwed me over at least half-a-dozen times over the years. But I don't let my opinion cloud my judgement when it comes to the best products for my needs. I get updates probably twice as often as a standard user, updates that haven't undergone the full gamut of testing yet, and I have no problems. So either I'm a computing god or I'm the luckiest man on Earth. Except that I don't know anyone who has problems with Windows 10. Quite the opposite, no-one at work, or any of my friends or neighbours, ever talk about any of the issues you seem to be having. So maybe you need to accept that your problems aren't problems anyone else has, or that you are over-reacting to a status quo that the rest of the world is perfectly happy with.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have various problems with Win10, mostly with explorer being really slow from time to time and iconcache breaking up, showing me white icons. I think they f'd up the explorer... hope it gets better in Win11 ;)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Well I had a problem with my Windows 10 machine recently, random rebooting, then gets stuck in reboot loop, after much deliberation and hours wasted trying to find the root cause, checking bios, no overclock, cpu temps all fine, SSD diagnostics all checked out healthy, ram sticks replaced, windows now refuses to restore, and cannot reinstall now either, very weird thing, I bit the bullet and dumped Windows, for M1 mac mini, and good move so far, apart from the hours redownloading plugins, reinstalling and finding my way around MacOS, just waiting for a USB Hub to arrive so can up storage a little. All works, really quiet no fan noise, performance good too. Never had mac before, always been with Windows since mid 90s. Never had an issue with Windows 10 til then, but am glad I made the jump away. God that M1 Mac Mini is tiny, compared to the Tower I used to have. :)
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

legendCNCD wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:45 pm I have various problems with Win10, mostly with explorer being really slow from time to time and iconcache breaking up, showing me white icons. I think they f'd up the explorer... hope it gets better in Win11 ;)
Verify if your PC pass the tests of https://www.ocbase.com/

Pictus wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:58 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:45 pm I have various problems with Win10, mostly with explorer being really slow from time to time and iconcache breaking up, showing me white icons. I think they f'd up the explorer... hope it gets better in Win11 ;)
Verify if your PC pass the tests of https://www.ocbase.com/
It might be something else, its work machine. It'll be bulldozed soon completely from beginning.. might be AV/VPN related.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:07 am It's not my f**king opinion, it is my direct experience. My opinion is that I hate Microsoft even more than I hate Apple or Google, because Microsoft have screwed me over at least half-a-dozen times over the years. But I don't let my opinion cloud my judgement when it comes to the best products for my needs. I get updates probably twice as often as a standard user, updates that haven't undergone the full gamut of testing yet, and I have no problems. So either I'm a computing god or I'm the luckiest man on Earth. Except that I don't know anyone who has problems with Windows 10. Quite the opposite, no-one at work, or any of my friends or neighbours, ever talk about any of the issues you seem to be having. So maybe you need to accept that your problems aren't problems anyone else has, or that you are over-reacting to a status quo that the rest of the world is perfectly happy with.
Once again i bow to your superior knowledge and experience in the world of OS, W10, and just about everything. :D
I’ve been told versions of that last line for years “just accept it…”
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

OK, then give us some reproducible examples of the problems you have. I have a couple of spare PCs lying around at the moment I can experiment on, so now is the perfect time for you to show me where all these problems are.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”