Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With the VSTHost it works quite well so far, except for the crackling with the Virus C when playing chords (but which apparently some have).
I'd like to test it in Cubase, but the routing isn't quite clear to me at the moment. Has anyone tested this yet? I guess without LoopMidi + Midi OX it will not work?

4damind wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:43 pm I'd like to test it in Cubase, but the routing isn't quite clear to me at the moment. Has anyone tested this yet? I guess without LoopMidi + Midi OX it will not work?
Yes I'm using Cubase 11. LoopMIDI is a straightforward way to get VirusHC to control the emu - just remember to start it before loading Cubase. The track containing VirusHC just goes to VirusHC, and the MIDI output within VirusHC goes to a loopMIDI port which is then used as the MIDI input to DSP56300Emu. Sending patches to the buffer from VirusHC works as does controlling all the parameters, but if you want to browse the ROM presets via prog change and change banks you'll need to select the DSP56300Emu track and allow your keyboard as the MIDI input.

Unfortunately the new audio in won't work in Cubase though until there's a "VST effect" plugin to route audio to the DSP emu as a sidechain.

So it doesn't need Midi OX? I've created 2 ports with LoopMidi (so the same needed for the VSTHost version). But the HC Editor always get no response from the EMU. So it seems there is something missing.
The Midi Out from the EMU goes to the Input of the HC Editor (routed in Cubase) and the output in the Editor goes to a LoopMidi port...?

4damind wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:23 pm So it doesn't need Midi OX? I've created 2 ports with LoopMidi (so the same needed for the VSTHost version). But the HC Editor always get no response from the EMU. So it seems there is something missing.
The Midi Out from the EMU goes to the Input of the HC Editor (routed in Cubase) and the output in the Editor goes to a LoopMidi port...?
No - the EMU has no MIDI output just the loopMIDI input which comes from the HC Editor, so there's some waiting for all that to time out before you're good to go.

Aah, I see! The EMU as a VST instrument has a midi output in Cubase, but it seems that it is not yet implemented by the EMU? That would explain it! There of course the HC Editor can not get an response.

Btw.
One bug I found (maybe it was already mentioned)... a kind of CPU denormalization where the CPU usage goes up to 100% after some time. If I stop the project and wait a bit, the DSP load goes down again to something around 10%. Therefore also the crackling, what also already others have mentioned.

Is there any difference in sound between the A/B/C roms? The Virus B is usually said to sound the best out of the orignal line
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

4damind wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:50 pm Aah, I see! The EMU as a VST instrument has a midi output in Cubase, but it seems that it is not yet implemented by the EMU? That would explain it! There of course the HC Editor can not get an response.
I'm only assuming that because it doesn't work with VirusHC as would the hardware. However, I don't think it's needed in a DAW environment as with 1.16 it's possible to create a multi in Virus HS out of patches from several banks which sends all of the patches to the emu when loaded. Functionally VirusHC does all I need.

I'm not seeing denormalizing here with the Virus B. If I use "Overture CK" with the sustain pedal down it peaks in the high 80%s with a 9900k CPU core and drops back to its normal 50% where released.

My wishlist for this is:
A complete VSTi with its own GUI with no external MIDI routing
CPU optimization (as the Virus C appears to use way more than the B)
Additional audio outputs
A plugin that provides a sidechain audio input the same as the Virus Powercore

v1o wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:27 pm Is there any difference in sound between the A/B/C roms? The Virus B is usually said to sound the best out of the orignal line
https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... audio.html

cleverr1 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:30 pm My wishlist for this is:
Additional audio outputs
GUI - Coming very soon

CPU Optimisation - The Virus C’s DSP runs at 136MHz so naturally uses more power than the B which runs at 108MHz, most of the obvious optimisations have been done so it’s a little difficult to squeeze more power out now

Sidechain - Will look into it :)

CPU denormalizing (Virus C) seems to be more of an issue currently. Also confirmed by other users on Gearspace with the latest version (1.1.6?).

4damind wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:49 pm CPU denormalizing (Virus C) seems to be more of an issue currently. Also confirmed by other users on Gearspace with the latest version (1.1.6?).
Not sure what the problem is there but investigating 🧐

numerouno wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:41 pm
Additional audio outputs
GUI - Coming very soon

CPU Optimisation - The Virus C’s DSP runs at 136MHz so naturally uses more power than the B which runs at 108MHz, most of the obvious optimisations have been done so it’s a little difficult to squeeze more power out now

Thank you for creating this - it's pure alchemy!
I have a question - How does processor affinity work when loading multiple instances - will new instances always pick a different core?

numerouno wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:57 pm
4damind wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:49 pm CPU denormalizing (Virus C) seems to be more of an issue currently. Also confirmed by other users on Gearspace with the latest version (1.1.6?).
Not sure what the problem is there but investigating 🧐
The CPU goes up to 100% after some time, for example when repeating in a loop in the DAW. If you deactivate the EMU and activate it again, the CPU is normal again. Sometimes this happens also faster if values are changed at the HC editor. As if (too much) sent midi data to the emulator create a buffer overflow or otherwise mess something up.
(I also tested it with the Virus B... same problem).

cleverr1 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:07 pm
numerouno wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:41 pm
Additional audio outputs
GUI - Coming very soon

Thank you for creating this - it's pure alchemy!
I have a question - How does processor affinity work when loading multiple instances - will new instances always pick a different core?
That’s correct yes :)

Donated, thanks for your effort guys :tu:

Return to “Instruments”