Newbie question re finger drumming on Android phone

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Sorry if this should have been in the Getting started forum (mod: please feel free to move).

I'm on foot, and have never used an app for drumming before. I am thinking of using a my Android phone for laying down some drum/percussion tracks. I've browsed Google Play and there are many apps for that out there, but they can't respond to velocity, can they?

I'm thinking a solution may be two work in X-Y axes, so X would be the sound in question and Y the velocity (ie hold the phone in landscape position; left low corner would be conga 1 very quiet, left high corner would be conga 1 very loud etc).

So: payware or freeware, is there a way to get an Android phone to actually record MIDI data with some nuances? Any recommendations? Or do we simply set up a drum pad with some high and low velocities of the same sound?

Thanks!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Unfortunately your options on Android are very limited I'm afraid. iOS offers more plentiful solutions, as with anything music related, but I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're looking to achieve so couldn't really offer a concrete suggestion even on iOS (which, because it isn't Android, probably wouldn't be of any use to you anyway...)

Petesasqwax wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:55 pm Unfortunately your options on Android are very limited I'm afraid. iOS offers more plentiful solutions, as with anything music related, but I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're looking to achieve so couldn't really offer a concrete suggestion even on iOS (which, because it isn't Android, probably wouldn't be of any use to you anyway...)
Thanks for your reply! Well: there are quite many finger drumming apps. But is there an app that responds to velocity? I don't think a smartphone responds to velocity, but I may be wrong here.
Go MuLab!

Nope, touch screens don't do velocity afaik. Technically it's not impossible, but apps don't have access to the required low-level data. Hidden behind abstraction layers.
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:07 pm Or do we simply set up a drum pad with some high and low velocities of the same sound?
That's actually not a bad idea!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:20 am Nope, touch screens don't do velocity afaik. Technically it's not impossible, but apps don't have access to the required low-level data. Hidden behind abstraction layers.
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:07 pm Or do we simply set up a drum pad with some high and low velocities of the same sound?
That's actually not a bad idea!
Thanks for clearing this up! :tu: Hope some app dev takes up the X/Y suggestion above.
Go MuLab!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”