Do you program all of your sounds from scratch?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jonn Serrie. :)

Not a word for word quote, but, I remember reading an interview where he said something along those lines.

sorry, just taking the mickey out of the typo.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:31 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:28 pm "The process of sound creation is part of the the track creation process."

- One of my favorite artists
matt johnson?
:lol:

For me, creating a patch is often important when it comes to creating the context in which a sound fits in a composition. Then again, I'm not really much of a musician, so sound design is one of the few places where I feel I can confidently express my creativity. That may not be the case for everyone.

ARNK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:10 amDo ya?
No, I use the Init preset.... :)

Of course, I love doing sounds.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:39 pm sorry, just taking the mickey out of the typo.
That’s brilliant, good catch

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:07 am
ARNK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:10 amDo ya?
No, I use the Init preset.... :)

Of course, I love doing sounds.
;) nobody’s ever done that, an entire Track of INIT

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:31 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:28 pm "The process of sound creation is part of the the track creation process."

- One of my favorite artists
matt johnson?
That’s one of my favorite artists

If I do music that rely heavily on kick&bass, I do those two and spend as much time in nailing those as I can, but mostly use presets and tweak them further.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:02 amNope, don't have time for that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not sure how that works because I find it is usually faster to make my own patches than to wade through hundreds of presets looking for what I want. Which isn't to say I don't do it, I just hate myself afterwards.

Like most of us, I imagine, I usually start with a preset, rather than from INIT, and work from there. Sometimes I hardly make any changes, other times the end result is unrecognisable from what I started with.

On occasion, with a synth that really grabs me, I spend an hour or two making patches and storing them for later use and often these are my starting points. Then there are other times when I know exactly what I need and it's just quicker to do it from scratch, rather than trawl through endless banks of presets looking for a start point.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Tbh, I have realized that my ability to make bagpipes, offerdale flutes, horns, violins, santur, hurdy gurdies, choirs and deep forest drums on Synth 1 or similar is heavily crippled, so I cheat and use sample packs instead. Have mercy on me. And no, using DIVA does not help. I make my own synth bass sounds, but that will hardly open the gates to Heaven.
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

I use a lot of sample-based instruments but they mostly offer a lot of creative opportunities, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

no
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

depends who is asking? :scared:

vurt wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:19 pm depends who is asking? :scared:
the preset police!

Return to “Production Techniques”