2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I freaking loved Frames. Some of the coolest patches I've made in the last 5 years or so were made using frames to route CV or to crossfade between voices in interesting ways. The only reason I let it go is because it's not very immediate. I would spend hours, setting up a patch with Frames.

I actually got rid of most of my Mutable stuff for basically the same reason. I kept Tides 2 because it's still my favorite tempo sync modulation source but I tend to use that in the most basic ways. I do kinda miss Frames, now that I think about it.

When I had a smaller setup, I had a Frames for a few months. I found myself mainly using it for mixing, attenuators and DC offsets, because that's what I really needed at the time. Sometimes I used it for crossfades, or to invert or change the shape of envelopes so I could use the same EG for a VCA and a filter or whatever while having them track a little differently -- pretty simple stuff to set up. I wound up selling it for a matrix mixer and a Shades, which I think was the right move for me at the time.

Maybe I'll wait for JF to arrive to make a decision, unless the right trade opportunity happens.
Last edited by foosnark on Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm torn between the Subsequent 37 or Sequential Pro3 for my next synth.
I love the feel of Moogs, but the Pro3 does more on paper.

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:39 am I'm torn between the Subsequent 37 or Sequential Pro3 for my next synth.
I love the feel of Moogs, but the Pro3 does more on paper.
I can recommend the Pro 3, I chose it because I wanted the modern features it offers. It just
depends on what is important for you. You can't go wrong with sequential imo. The Moog is
is just that however, if you want that moog sound, best to look there.

Eh, I went ahead and ordered a Plancks after all. Dedicating less HP and $$ to something I may not often need makes sense to me.

MatrixBrute Noir is on my radar, as I've lusted after a MatrixBrute for years, but find the cost a bit difficult to justify as there are other choices like OB-6, Pro-3, Prophet 6, and so on near that price. But are you kidding? This thing is a beautiful monster.
<List your stupid gear here>

I really like the look of the MatrixBrute, but it needs a lot of space plus it's 20kg. Can it do anything the PolyBrute can't? If not, then the difference in price would lead me to get the poly instead.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Sleepy Circuits Hypno...

https://sleepycircuits.com/

Oooh. That's nice. I have no business owning it, but looks fun!

elxsound wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:37 pm Oooh. That's nice. I have no business owning it, but looks fun!
Kind of a costly test bed to see if I really want to go down the LZX Industries rabbit hole. The Hypno
has been hard to get, but they happened to have a few in stock. So wth, but yeah, should be fun
and a good intro into video synthesis without going too crazy.

i clicked not knowing what it was and thought "why so many videos? just tell me what the f**k it does!".
clicked "learn more"

"oooooohhhhhh that's why all the videos" :oops:

i am tempted to get in to video synthesis, it was the "eyesie" that got me looking, another "what the hell does that do?" after seeing it in an email from a modular shop? before clicking, the name and design, made me imagine some sort of gesture control for cv, but no, it's a whole different, but very tempting, very expensive, rabbit hole to fall in to :cry:

ps: the hypno does look fun :tu:

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:11 pm i clicked not knowing what it was and thought "why so many videos? just tell me what the f**k it does!".
clicked "learn more"

"oooooohhhhhh that's why all the videos" :oops:

i am tempted to get in to video synthesis, it was the "eyesie" that got me looking, another "what the hell does that do?" after seeing it in an email from a modular shop? before clicking, the name and design, made me imagine some sort of gesture control for cv, but no, it's a whole different, but very tempting, very expensive, rabbit hole to fall in to :cry:
I've had my eye on the eyesy for a while as well. I'll probably get one sooner or later. The eyesy
looks super cool too and is probably more flexible than the Hypno, but it's not in eurorack format.
I kind of had to jump on the Hypno spur of the moment as they sell out quickly.

The eyesy is somewhat like a video synthesizer guitar pedal, so of course I want one. :lol:

I've been looking at Hypno but I was really hoping I could get a LZX Chromagnon at some point.
Here are some screen shots from the video for one of the tracks on my next release.

I use my Octatrack and Blokas MIDIHub to modulate Eyesy and some Hungry Robot modules to control my Vidiot and 3Trins. I also used an old DV camera and a CRT TV for feedback. All of that gets routed through a Panasonic WJ-MX30 for mixing and post processing.

The biggest challenge for me has been capturing composite video or S-Video outputs to my computer. I'v been using a cheap USB video capture adapter (the kind of thing people use to transfer home videos) but that seems to work best when I record to SVHS first. I get much shaper video if I point a DSLR at the display I'm using to monitor the sources... but then the room needs to be really dark (or cover the camera and display with a blanket 8) ) and edges tend to glitch/alias more with that kind of setup. I've considered getting a nicer Blackmagic capture setup but it seems like things get less fool proof with better quality interfaces.

It took me a while to accept that my knowledge of audio synthesis doesn't translate to this realm much but I'm still having a lot of fun exploring. I'm finally getting more useable stuff and not just strobing plaid. :lol:

I'm ready for some Eurorack modules that allow you to synthesize smell. This will give a whole new meaning to "Eurocrack."

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”