Acustica Audio Plugins are killing my computer.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:10 pm
kvaca wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:37 pm
plexuss wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:17 pm
AKJ wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:42 pm So why not kill the Acoustica Audio plugins ...? There are more than enough good and CPU efficient plugins.
To my ears, nothing sounds as good as Acquas in terms of smoothness and soundstage and a general analog-y vibe. Nothing. Unfortunately.
sounds smooth like a shit...:-)
1.thank god I dont have your ears
2.thank god I can have any analog hw I need
Excellent. Post some of your audio/music work so we can hear the quality you create. I'd love to learn from you.
so now its not possible here to react on apparently biased comment without any audio/music support? you are so funny...

Been going through a lot of the plugins by AA. They sound great. I guess I should just use a few of them in my session. Are people switching to Reaper to just use AA? What AA plugs are must haves? I've been using the PA SSL Channel strips on every track. Sounds good. When trying the same workflow with AA plugs in can't make it lol.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:04 am Is AudioGridder safe? Is there a catch? What's in it for them?
If by safe you mean virus free then yes, it's safe. As far as I know Gridder is the work of only one guy, I imagine he is doing a public beta to eventually bring a fully functional version to market but that is just a guess. Near as I can tell he is an honest actor but he is only one guy so progress is slow.

Gridder is a bit of a bear to get going and you may have to do multiple installations to check which version works best with your system. In windows (I'm on W10 with pro tools 12) the latest beta seems to be the best yet.

There is a tool called EVERYTHING that I've found indispensable to remove any trace of the previous version so that the new one will work properly. It finds every instance of anything you search for in your computer so that you can easily remove it (even though you sometimes need to do the deletions as ADMIN). This HAS to be done otherwise it won't work at all.

There are compromises to working with gridder as well as benefits. like I said before it isn't the easiest thing to set up and it takes some trial and error to get it going correctly. However if you are like me and are committed to working with AA then as far as I can tell Gridder is the only game in town to make Acustica easier on resources.

Recently someone mentioned in GS (I'm wracking my brain trying to remember on what thread but no dice) that Blue Cat might be coming up with their version of something like this. That would be something I would definitely get on board with. That said, I've been working with Beta 4 since yesterday and so far have had no problems.

There is a learning curve to dealing with it but as far as I can tell there is literally nothing else that does what it does.
Last edited by dasoundjunkie on Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

dasoundjunkie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:12 pm There is a tool called EVERYTHING that I've found indispensable to remove any trace of the previous version so that the new one will work properly. It finds every instance of anything you search for in your computer so that you can easily remove it (even though you sometimes need to do the deletions as ADMIN). This HAS to be done otherwise it won't work at all.
Revo uninstaller can remove traces of programs after uninstall, it has 3 settings, safe, moderate and advanced. Beware, advanced clean up can delete installers with the same name.
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-un ... ibleNavbar

There is a similar app to Audiogridder, FX Teleport. It's no longer maintained, but it is now free.
http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:40 pm
dasoundjunkie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:12 pm There is a tool called EVERYTHING that I've found indispensable to remove any trace of the previous version so that the new one will work properly. It finds every instance of anything you search for in your computer so that you can easily remove it (even though you sometimes need to do the deletions as ADMIN). This HAS to be done otherwise it won't work at all.
Revo uninstaller can remove traces of programs after uninstall, it has 3 settings, safe, moderate and advanced. Beware, advanced clean up can delete installers with the same name.
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-un ... ibleNavbar

There is a similar app to Audiogridder, FX Teleport. It's no longer maintained, but it is now free.
http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/
Yeah, EVERYTHING also puts installers on the chopping block so you definitely have to be careful with this kind of tool. Wasn't familiar with TELEPORT but if its no longer maintained then I'll stick to Gridder since it is also for the time being free. Thanks for the heads up on Revo though. Tools like this are excellent time savers :tu:
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:04 am Is AudioGridder safe? Is there a catch? What's in it for them?
Pretty sure he appreciates donations. I paid a little.

The catch is that it’s clearly a side project for the developer, so development can be slow/put on hold for whatever else they do in life.

Edit: Plenty of other people answered. :)

idoru97214 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:04 am I own VSX and Sienna which I run through Audeze LCD-2. I greatly prefer Sienna, in fact my VSX are for sale. Sienna is much more flexible, with more rooms/speakers available to audition. My ears did not adjust well to VSX ever... very weird verb and phase to me which Sienna does not have. But the real issue I have with VSX is the hardware is honestly not made well. The sound is good, but the phones are cheap plastic that left me absolutely crestfallen when I unpacked them. I have Sony headphones that cost $75 that were built better. Look on the GS VSX thread at the number of people who have developed cracks in the headband. I have an add to sell my VSX here on KVR! They have not cracked maybe because I never use them after one month of trying. lol.
The hardware issue is what's holding me back from buying it. I heard their hardware interface got discontinued, and the had a hard time with windows drivers. When using Sienna, can you hear the imperfections of your mix?

Yes, I believe I can, but as you read above, not everyone has the same experience. I think VSX is very usable, but I think Sienna does just as well at giving a solid and revealing presentation.

I respect bmanic quite a bit, really appreciate a lot of his discourse here, but on this issue I really differ - the hardware headphone is cheaply made. Period. Call it light and sleek - translate plastic and hollow for me. And I bought them in their first week out. No regrets though, prior to owning VSX I was a die hard "You can't get an honest translation on headphones no matter what" guy. I am wearing Audeze as I type this. Have been wearing them for two hours so far today. They are very comfortable to me. And their spectrum presentation is just better than VSX I feel. I am surprised how many people love VSX. But there you go, the proverbial YMMV. And a lot of people I really respect love VSX, which is OK. I am not saying they are wrong, I am saying I have had a different experience.

Kind of like AA. I love them. Use them on every project. Some people REALLY hate them. It's whatevs. Hope this is helpful.

For what its worth I use both Sienna and VSX and find them both indispensable. The Howie Weinberg room is absolutely brutal and if you can get things translating there you are good. I've been one of the people that didn't have any problems with the headphones and love the Sienna linear phase profile 2 so I have a cross platform set that I do not have to switch from when I change listening platform.

I actually bought a pair of Audeze LCD-1s and ended up selling them. They sounded great but I simply preferred the closed back config. Slate added 2 different Audeze models so for me at least that base was covered. Sienna has a bunch of amazing sounding rooms but they can be a little too forgiving so cross checking between the 2 platforms works absolutely perfect for me.

Some things I prefer on one and some on the other. The club on the Slate side is all but useless to me but the Club 7 on position 4SUB is perfect for that type of reference on Sienna. I liked the cars better on Slate not because I thought they sounded particularly good but because they sound how most people EQ their car systems. The Sienna was too...nice.

The fact that we have access to so much completely without speakers is simply mind boggling to me. I literally sold my Focal Twins with their Sub as soon as I heard the Slate. Translation became much easier. Then Sienna came out and its been Christmas ever since :D
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

dasoundjunkie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:00 am For what its worth I use both Sienna and VSX and find them both indispensable. The Howie Weinberg room is absolutely brutal and if you can get things translating there you are good. I've been one of the people that didn't have any problems with the headphones and love the Sienna linear phase profile 2 so I have a cross platform set that I do not have to switch from when I change listening platform.

I actually bought a pair of Audeze LCD-1s and ended up selling them. They sounded great but I simply preferred the closed back config. Slate added 2 different Audeze models so for me at least that base was covered. Sienna has a bunch of amazing sounding rooms but they can be a little too forgiving so cross checking between the 2 platforms works absolutely perfect for me.

Some things I prefer on one and some on the other. The club on the Slate side is all but useless to me but the Club 7 on position 4SUB is perfect for that type of reference on Sienna. I liked the cars better on Slate not because I thought they sounded particularly good but because they sound how most people EQ their car systems. The Sienna was too...nice.

The fact that we have access to so much completely without speakers is simply mind boggling to me. I literally sold my Focal Twins with their Sub as soon as I heard the Slate. Translation became much easier. Then Sienna came out and its been Christmas ever since :D
Interesting. Can you share any examples of what you've mixed with Sienna or VSX?

dasoundjunkie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:12 pm
There is a learning curve to dealing with it but as far as I can tell there is literally nothing else that does what it does.
Vienna Ensemble Pro is a commercial offering of something that does what audiogridder does, but not in exactly the same way. It used to be reasonably reliable for me, but, I haven't upgraded version 6 to 7 and version 6 has become a bit flakey. I might upgrade, I might not, I've been thinking about rethinking my entire process with offloading plugins and I may not need it.

If you're offloading plugins and you have a consistent setup, then VEP is reasonably stable. I don't know about M1 Macs.

plexuss wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:46 am
dasoundjunkie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:00 am For what its worth I use both Sienna and VSX and find them both indispensable. The Howie Weinberg room is absolutely brutal and if you can get things translating there you are good. I've been one of the people that didn't have any problems with the headphones and love the Sienna linear phase profile 2 so I have a cross platform set that I do not have to switch from when I change listening platform.

Interesting. Can you share any examples of what you've mixed with Sienna or VSX?
Sure but I'm going to have to do it by linking to GS.
I'm trying to load a mix that I did as my first experiment with gridder. They are before and after of a mix done almost exclusively with SNOW (aside from some surgical eq with Eiosis Air EQ and Tape machines from UAD). They are MP3s but for some reason the KVR site tells me they are not valid, weird. Here is a link to the thread on GS where I posted this originally. Post 207 is the mix and post 209 is the raw balance. Everything was done on VSX and Sienna
https://gearspace.com/board/product-ale ... light=snow
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:02 am
dasoundjunkie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:12 pm
Vienna Ensemble Pro is a commercial offering of something that does what audiogridder does, but not in exactly the same way. It used to be reasonably reliable for me, but, I haven't upgraded version 6 to 7 and version 6 has become a bit flakey. I might upgrade, I might not, I've been thinking about rethinking my entire process with offloading plugins and I may not need it.

If you're offloading plugins and you have a consistent setup, then VEP is reasonably stable. I don't know about M1 Macs.
I'm on PC
Thanks for the head's up, I'll definitely check this out :tu:
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

dasoundjunkie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:07 am Sure but I'm going to have to do it by linking to GS.
Your link
https://gearspace.com/board/attachments ... me-va-.mp3

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... tcount=207
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Effects”