Phuturetone GR-8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

That's weird. Sounds like maybe an OS problem. When was the last time you restarted your PC? Or updated W10?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Usual Windows thing... :D
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

That kind of thing never happens to me. Any time I have any problem with anything, a restart is all it takes to fix it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

GR-8 gets my first vote in the competition, looks good and sounds good, great work Sasha!

DJErmac wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 am I just tried to save a new preset and got a Windows error message saying I can't write datas in this folder (the preset is saved correctly though). I assume this is what caused the initial crash. The presets are saved in my Documents folder (Documents/VST3 Presets/Phuturetone/GR-8/...). No crash this time.
You using it in Cubase ? Run Cubase as an administrator and you shouldn't get errors like that.

Steinberg would probably say they fixed this in V11 :dog:
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

OK my 2penneth, When I first used it it was a CPU killer, but Bones thankfully pointed out the update (Was only following in instruments main forum)

Now its a lot less CPU intensive, and if you could get it lower again, I can see GR-8 becoming my mainstay for some certain sounds. I love it's workflow, thats what's really grabbed my attention, just seems to click with my fked up brain.

Congratulations on this synth, I think its a really awesome piece of work.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:08 am
DJErmac wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 am I just tried to save a new preset and got a Windows error message saying I can't write datas in this folder (the preset is saved correctly though). I assume this is what caused the initial crash. The presets are saved in my Documents folder (Documents/VST3 Presets/Phuturetone/GR-8/...). No crash this time.
You using it in Cubase ? Run Cubase as an administrator and you shouldn't get errors like that.

Steinberg would probably say they fixed this in V11 :dog:
I do run Cubase as an administrator. :shrug:

I also own v11, just don’t like it...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

As someone who would spend a large chunk of money on a really nice CPU before I would buy any new plugins, I hope that oversampling can be made as an option in a future release. Sound quality is king, but having the option available to turn it on or off is good for people with less powerful CPUs.

Have you tried to make a backup of the presets folder (just rename it, i.e. GR-8x) and to reinstall the plugin? Maybe that will help.

@Sasha: Just checked the updated version - my quick test project eating 30-40% CPU requiers now less than 20%. Guess this is something that can be called optimisation :)
Already voted now with GR-8 as my personal favourite. Really useful and inspiring right now! Nonetheless, hope you will find some time in the future to make good things even better (guess I said this before ;) )

New update:

v1.0.4 - 2021-07-22:
  • Replaced arpeggiator module with a newer module.
  • Updated About screen.
I was trying for full three days to fix the arpeggiator, it simply refuses to work. I succeed in making it work in Reason, but Live is ignoring the retrigger signal, so if notes are closely side-by-side, it repeats the first note of the previous arp pattern. In Garage band, I can't even tell what is wrong.

The solution for the correct first note in an arp sequence is lame, a user needs to make sure there's a gap between the notes. I'm thinking about removing the arp from the synth. What do you think?

Thanks,
Sasha

linus_369 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:42 pm @Sasha: Just checked the updated version - my quick test project eating 30-40% CPU requiers now less than 20%. Guess this is something that can be called optimisation :)
Already voted now with GR-8 as my personal favourite. Really useful and inspiring right now! Nonetheless, hope you will find some time in the future to make good things even better (guess I said this before ;) )
Thank you very much Linus!

Phuturetone wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm New update:

v1.0.4 - 2021-07-22:
  • Updated About screen.
I was trying for full three days to fix the arpeggiator, it simply refuses to work. I succeed in making it work in Reason, but Live is ignoring the retrigger signal, so if notes are closely side-by-side, it repeats the first note of the previous arp pattern. In Garage band, I can't even tell what is wrong.

The solution for the correct first note in an arp sequence is lame, a user needs to make sure there's a gap between the notes. I'm thinking about removing the arp from the synth. What do you think?

Thanks,
Sasha
Oh no no no, I'm already using it in a song! :D

Phuturetone wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm New update:

v1.0.4 - 2021-07-22:
  • Updated About screen.

Thanks,
Sasha
Yeah, I've just tried the update, the arp is much better than the previous ones, but still unusable in its current state, for me at least. If it's for a long sequence with a sustained chord, it's ok, but as soon as notes change, the retriggering fails, and it's hard to fix in Live, even by avoiding overlapping notes, because then you can hear the gap between the notes.

I would say that if the arp really can't be fixed, it would be better to remove it (sorry for your song Sinisterbr lol). IMHO, a broken feature can do more harm to a plugin than a missing one. Just my 2 cents :wink:
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

I'll backup the latest version then (it's working flawlessly so far, anyway), just for my use. Hahah

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”