Any news on the Cubase dongle divorce?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m guessing the answer is no, but just checking because I’m still interested in getting Cubase and Wavelab (sans dongle).

Did they change their minds maybe?

I'm hearing it's coming sooner than later. I will buy Cubase when it does because I've never tried it over before and it looks suave.

elxsound wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:07 pm I’m guessing the answer is no, but just checking because I’m still interested in getting Cubase and Wavelab (sans dongle).

Things like that don't happen between nightfall and daybreak (they have to migrate every supported product to the new system).

I'd rather expect it before the next Cubase version comes out, i.e. somewhere in October or November.

I kinda wish they forgot all about it.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 am
elxsound wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:07 pm I’m guessing the answer is no, but just checking because I’m still interested in getting Cubase and Wavelab (sans dongle).

Things like that don't happen between nightfall and daybreak (they have to migrate every supported product to the new system).

I'd rather expect it before the next Cubase version comes out, i.e. somewhere in October or November.
Their announcement was back in March, so it's not like less than 24 hours passed. They did say "months" with no specificity.

Anyway, I suspect you're right that it'll be for the future versions.

They were short on details and it seems they still are since I've been searching and haven't found anything.

I'll reach out to their sales team. I would like to buy, but I don't want to buy the dongle and I'm good waiting if it's still happening this year.

I hope they don't get rid of the dongle for those that bought one.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:53 pm I hope they don't get rid of the dongle for those that bought one.
They mentioned they would still support its use for a long time to come.

There are lots of people that rely on keeping their licenses portable so I think their messages were worded carefully to allay any fears that would go away.

This is more for the crowd that doesn't use this method. I'm all for having a choice and my impression is that they are trying to offer it.

I only wish that after the announcement they would have stopped charging for the elicenser and at least offer it for free with the physical version or offer it at cost of shipping and handling.

I suppose you could subscribe to an appropriate post at their forum. Which I'm not doing either ;)

jancivil wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:18 pm I suppose you could subscribe to an appropriate post at their forum. Which I'm not doing either ;)
Bare with my ignorance here, but is there a specific one to subscribe to? I found their original two announcements (1 announcement and 1 clarification), but all the others seemed to be a bunch of locked threads. I'm not married to the topic, but I wouldn't mind just adding an alert.

yeah, no, not other than the OG announcement posts. It's not easy to navigate, is it.

We'll know when they do it. ;)

chk071 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:16 pm We'll know when they do it. ;)
Yes their sales will triple...... :hihi:

I only own the original Retrologue from Steinburn which was protected by their e-licenser. I wanted to sell my license and they told me I would have to buy a physical dongle and send that to the buyer making the sale utterly impractical. The dongle would have cost more than I was asking for the plugin.

Since that moment Steinburn has resided right at the top of the list of developers who can kiss my a$$.... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Interesting... I just had to login in the Steinberg Download Assistant, after it got updated. That's new, if I'm not mistaken. Might be a step towards their new authorization system. It also opened a (IMO) new website to type in my login credentials. "flow.steinberg.net"

I prefer it and hope they never stop supporting it. It sits comfortably next to my iLok and Propellerhead Ignition key.

I doubt they will ever stop supporting it. They’ve tried to provide reassurance that it’s not going away.

They just won’t require it, which will be the nice thing.

Nothing wrong with choices.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”