REAPER - can I select, thin out, or delete midi notes at random

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Exactly. It's why I don't use S1 because I find it overly clunky in a lot of ways.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 pm Exactly. It's why I don't use S1 because I find it overly clunky in a lot of ways.
I added some stuff - you were too quick for my revisions :) Maybe I am missing something here - what value does sending and editing sysex have within a compositional workflow? Or an event list view? or 14bit CC ? I just cant see the value of that when composing compared to functions like generating permutations of notes or copying clips and thinning out notes to make quasi-hocketing. But as I say, maybe I am missing something, I'd certainly like to know if I am.

nevermind

Sysex is used to store the patches you have on hardware units. Some of those units have limited patch memory, so it's better to dump a patch over sysex and then you're sure your project loads with the correct patch and state that you require for it.

Event list view is useful for deep MIDI inspection.

14-bit CC provide greater parameter resolution from 128 steps to 16384. NRPN is kinda similar in that enables the same greater parameter resolution, but also greater number of accessible parameters (also 16384). Certain hardware synths out there take great advantage of this.

So, you can see for somebody who's into hybrid ITB+OTB workflow, there are very particular requirements. S1 doesn't really meet them as good as Reaper does from my experience.

My feeling is that the Midi Event List should be editable. You should also be able to reorder midi events such as pitch, velocity, length etc. Having an editable graphical view as in Cubase is desirable.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'd agree Studio One offers better (slicker) compositional tools. Compared to Reaper, S1 integrates these features in a very slick way versus having to run scripts or use stuff like JS plugins to get a step sequencer, etc. On the flip side, Studio One is awful at integrating hardware, lacks some basic MIDI things (still no "All" option for MIDI input channels), sysex, etc. You may think, "oh, well that doesn't help me compose with VI's" and it may be true. But if you've got a comprehensive MIDI setup, then Studio One's gaps in their MIDI implementation matters. Also, in Reaper, if I want to run a MIDI generating VSTi to drive another VSTi, I just place them both inline in the inserts and it just works. In Studio One, you have to setup the routing from one track to another, and it used to be even more cumbersome than it is today.

Reaper's not for everyone though. I've been using it regularly for a while now and still find myself tweaking aspects of my configuration once a week. Some of the default settings are atrocious too (backups not turned on, folder management). If you want something spoon fed to you (which is not a dig, it sounds nice), then yeah, Studio One will win out over Reaper every time. But if you enjoy tinkering and are willing to put in the effort, Reaper' is way more rewarding. I went from S1 as my primary to Reaper and I've used Sonar and Cubase for years at various points too. Having finally "got" Reaper, I'm the happiest I've been with a DAW.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm Also, in Reaper, if I want to run a MIDI generating VSTi to drive another VSTi, I just place them both inline in the inserts and it just works. In Studio One, you have to setup the routing from one track to another, and it used to be even more cumbersome than it is today.
This is a puzzling downside of S1 design to me - really needs to be fixed
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm Reaper's not for everyone though. I've been using it regularly for a while now and still find myself tweaking aspects of my configuration once a week. Some of the default settings are atrocious too (backups not turned on, folder management). If you want something spoon fed to you (which is not a dig, it sounds nice), then yeah, Studio One will win out over Reaper every time. But if you enjoy tinkering and are willing to put in the effort, Reaper' is way more rewarding. I went from S1 as my primary to Reaper and I've used Sonar and Cubase for years at various points too. Having finally "got" Reaper, I'm the happiest I've been with a DAW.
I really dont want to be tinkering with a DAW - I am much more interested in composing - but I see the attraction that has for some people

fairlyclose wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:09 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm Also, in Reaper, if I want to run a MIDI generating VSTi to drive another VSTi, I just place them both inline in the inserts and it just works. In Studio One, you have to setup the routing from one track to another, and it used to be even more cumbersome than it is today.
This is a puzzling downside of S1 design to me - really needs to be fixed
S1 has a pretty great workflow overall, but things like that, the awful design gaps with the Green Z monitoring mode that make it not work with plugins that don't have fixed automation assignments, the old-school (Cubase-style) mono/stereo track handling, pre-pan metering, the lack of stereo pan on the mixer channels, the lack of true MIDI support ('MIDI's the past, we'll convert it to something better')...that stuff just blows my mind. Like, this is a modern DAW that does so many things well, but they also have made some very, very, very bone-headed moves along the way IMO.

And I really like S1 overall. But things like the above just deserve ridicule until fixed.
fairlyclose wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:09 pm I really dont want to be tinkering with a DAW - I am much more interested in composing - but I see the attraction that has for some people
Can't say I blame you. You're clearly in the majority on that.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:24 pm "random midi" at 4:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5k8BqsTXT8
interesting tools - not at all what I was wanting as far as the Reaper query goes but still nice and I will download them to have a look. For extensive controllable midi using probabilistic systems have a look at this https://www.sonic-lab.com/cosmosfm31/

[EDIT] had a look - I remember Cecilia from when it was hooked into cSound, much improved experience by the looks of things now. Blip also looks interesting - surprised noone has run with this idea and taken it further - although maybe they have and I just dont know about it

^^^
Sorry for the off topic comment but glad you found the current Cecilia interesting.
I put Cecilia on my Free Plugin List for future exploration.
Not sure about Blip, what it is or what it does.

As for Cosmosfm31, I looked at it before but was not inspired.
If ever on a big sale I may look it it again.
I say this as I believe Architect with presets will be released this year which my cover many of my midi needs.
I am confident that this is the year!
The year which will be remembered in midi infinity. (infamy was not the right word)

I think i found a solution for what you want. this script:Lokasenna_MIDI Randomization Tool mutes a percentage of a selected notes then you can use SWS:Select muted notes script to delete em

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”