Best channel strip plugin that's NOT emulation of SSL, Neve, API, Amek, etc.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

escalona wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:32 am This thread seems to be not really about "Best channel strip plugin that's NOT emulation of SSL, Neve, API, Amek, etc."... but rather about stalking and creeping up to people bringing an original, innovative or cool idea and then jump on top and shit all over it for god knows what reason... That Blyss from Kush (EQ, saturation and compression... though House of Kush sells it simply as an EQ) now is "not" a channel strip... what are we doing here, reading the small print on the webster dictionary?

By the way, so far Blyss sounds awesome. 1 hour playing with it so far and it's very hard to make it sound bad.

But, anyway, "it's not a strip channel", so I'll go back to the newest KingOz thread...
Well, I still am quite fond of the Flux definition of a channel strip being a tool with which you are able to get about 70% of the mixing done. And how are you going to come even close to that with a compressor that has a fixed 1:1.5 ratio? :dog:

Kush really know their stuff - they don't advertise it as a channel-strip because they obviously neither made it for that nor do they think it's any good for that. They created it as a mastering-tool and they advertise it as such. And a 1:1.5 compression ratio is perfectly fine for the mastering purpose this compressor has (i.e. mild compression that comes before the final limiting).

But of course you think you know that a lot better than Gregory himself does... Dunning Kruger at its best yet again...

I agree that this thread is steering towards the absurd, but our opinions on who is responsible for this greatly differ. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I agree, it's not a mixing channel strip. There are also other mixing strips that are really just coloration tools or mix channels with limited flexibility. The Kramer HLS channel comes to mind here. It's just a model of the input channel and the EQ. If you combine it with the pye compressor, well, you get some of the way there, but, once we talk about combining plugins then we're not really talking about a channel strip plugin anymore.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 am I agree, it's not a mixing channel strip.
Blyss is positioned as a channel strip - a master channel strip. The OP didnt distinguish between mix vs master vs other, just "channel strip" and so Blyss is relevance to the topic. I will try it out later today.

I'm not trying to be the topic police, talk about what you want. I just don't think that it's a mixing channel strip, it's not positioned as one and, specified or not, that's what we've been talking about.

Just been remixing some old 1" tape, and Eventide Ultrachannel has been working out great for a channel strip. I used to just use individual components and make my own effects chains.

It's just easier to deal with a single low CPU channel strip solution.

Thanks for making this thread, it actually convinced me to relook at Ultrachannel again.
Cheers,
Dirk

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:10 pm I'm not trying to be the topic police, talk about what you want. I just don't think that it's a mixing channel strip, it's not positioned as one and, specified or not, that's what we've been talking about.
I am going to use Blyss on a track I am working as a track channel strip and that will then make it a track channel strip. Happy? ``Damn kids these days.

Korneff Audio AIP

plexuss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:15 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:10 pm I'm not trying to be the topic police, talk about what you want. I just don't think that it's a mixing channel strip, it's not positioned as one and, specified or not, that's what we've been talking about.
I am going to use Blyss on a track I am working as a track channel strip and that will then make it a track channel strip. Happy? ``Damn kids these days.
Well, happy is a heavy word, but ok. Tell us how it goes. While we're talking about Blyss, it's fugly and expensive so it had better sound good!

You seemed to have a lot more strict opinion on what is and what isn't a "channel strip" earlier in this thread...
plexuss wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:03 pm
BONES wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:33 am I just realised I have something concrete to contribute here - Focus One. It's amazing! Just a few simple controls that make anything sound better.
This is not a channel strip.
Classic plexuss... what would KVR be without your entertaining inconsistencies...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:52 pm

You seemed to have a lot more strict opinion on what is and what isn't a "channel strip" earlier in this thread...
plexuss wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:03 pm
BONES wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:33 am I just realised I have something concrete to contribute here - Focus One. It's amazing! Just a few simple controls that make anything sound better.
This is not a channel strip.
Classic plexuss... what would KVR be without your entertaining inconsistencies...
No inconsistency. I am operating on a definition* of "channel strip" that doesn't match yours. It's unfortunate you are taking this so personally. Just for you, I won't call Blyss a channel strip. There. It's not a channel strip. And Focus One IS a channel strip. Do you feel better? I hope that helps. I know, however, you are on the same page - you just like getting the rest of us to jump for you.

* "Strip" refers to the channel on a mixing console that is in the physical shape of a long strip of controls. Those controls include some combination of patching, EQ, compression, limiting and other sundry processors like de-essing (dynamic EQ) - typical things you'd see on an analogue console channel strip. In the context of plugins, a channel strip plugin recreates this workflow with a similar combination of tools. Further being analogue there is some amount of distortion added to the signal. To parallel that in a digital plugin, saturation can be used. In this context, Blyss is also a channel strip, even though its meant for mastering, it parallels the notion of a channel strip and can also be used in-channel mixing. However a channel strip would not typically include tools not seen in analogue console strips which contravenes Focus One from being a channel strip.

No mixer in history has had k strips, each with five knobs that each control one very specific aspect of a complex effect, that is only useful in some limited context, with each knob mislabeled with some undefined audio term. One knob compressors, sure. Limited EQ, sure, but one knob for a low-mid boost and a knob to control a gating effect, on multiple channels such that it needs to be a "strip?" I don't think so. I think that an unstated part of the definition of a channel "strip" is that it is the set of features in a mixer that are replicated multiple times because they are useful generally.
typical things you'd see on an analogue console channel strip.
This implies that there is more than one "strip." I have never seen an LFO gated VCA on the "strip" of an analogue mixer and I don't think that anyone else here has either. I've also never seen a single "low mid boost EQ" mislabeled as some undefined audio quality. I'm pretty sure that you've never seen such things combined into a strip.

IMNSHO, this admits "bus strips" as a generality that is replicated but might be slightly different from input channels, but not "multi-fx," which is what Focus One should be rightly called. Indeed, that's what Waves calls the CLA plugins like CLA Vocal.

So, I'll admit Blyss as a "bus strip" that could be useful in a replicated sense in a project. However, a collection of one knob effects so limited that they are only marketed as being useful on synths for a specific genre would not need to be a strip in any mixer, hence, it is not a "channel strip," rather, it is a multi-fx.

escalona wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:32 am This thread seems to be not really about "Best channel strip plugin that's NOT emulation of SSL, Neve, API, Amek, etc."... but rather about stalking and creeping up to people bringing an original, innovative or cool idea and then jump on top and shit all over it for god knows what reason...
:lol:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:25 am
escalona wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:32 am This thread seems to be not really about "Best channel strip plugin that's NOT emulation of SSL, Neve, API, Amek, etc."... but rather about stalking and creeping up to people bringing an original, innovative or cool idea and then jump on top and shit all over it for god knows what reason...
:lol:
+1

Izotope stuff?

Do they have a channel strip? Nectar is channel-strip-y aimed at vocals but can be used for anything. Not really a channel strip in the traditional sense but with similar tools and workflow.

I'm working with mixing a 7 track electronic piece using Blyss on every channel and the mix buss. It sounding pretty good, I think its an improvement over my last version of the mix, which I have worked hard to push the audio quality as far as I can go with it. Blyss seems to help me push it further. I will need to live with it for a bit to decide. It's more alive especially in the high end and it get really fluffy fast. That's part of the Kush sound. But I think there amount of distortion Blyss generates its a bit of a challenge to tame and it would depend on the nature of the track but it can be used on a track mixing basis for sure. It's a Kushizer.

Return to “Effects”