2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Considering how easy it is to make annoying sounds and seizure inducing visuals with modular, I'd be very wary of an olfactory synth. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:33 am I've been looking at Hypno but I was really hoping I could get a LZX Chromagnon at some point.
Here are some screen shots from the video for one of the tracks on my next release.

I use my Octatrack and Blokas MIDIHub to modulate Eyesy and some Hungry Robot modules to control my Vidiot and 3Trins. I also used an old DV camera and a CRT TV for feedback. All of that gets routed through a Panasonic WJ-MX30 for mixing and post processing.

The biggest challenge for me has been capturing composite video or S-Video outputs to my computer. I'v been using a cheap USB video capture adapter (the kind of thing people use to transfer home videos) but that seems to work best when I record to SVHS first. I get much shaper video if I point a DSLR at the display I'm using to monitor the sources... but then the room needs to be really dark (or cover the camera and display with a blanket 8) ) and edges tend to glitch/alias more with that kind of setup. I've considered getting a nicer Blackmagic capture setup but it seems like things get less fool proof with better quality interfaces.

It took me a while to accept that my knowledge of audio synthesis doesn't translate to this realm much but I'm still having a lot of fun exploring. I'm finally getting more useable stuff and not just strobing plaid. :lol:

Cool, I remember you have the Vidiot, kinda disappointed they discontinued it. I should have
bought it when I had the chance. As for the Chromagnon, I would have pre-ordered that already,
but when I talked to them a few months ago, they told me to expect a long wait still. They
actually recommended that I go out and collect whatever other LZX modules I could find that
I would like to use with it so that I would have them when it became available. Needless to
say I didn't do that, having a bunch of video effect modules sitting around without a source
would have driven me nuts. Of course, I expect I could use the Hypno for that now.
Anyway, despite buying the Hypno, I fully expect to fill up at least a 6U 84 hp case with
LZX modules and a nice linear PSU at some point. Unless the Hypno somehow demonstrates
to me that I wont like it, as if that could really happen :lol:

After some advice, apologies, long ramble follows, no doubt bumped back a page by the latest eurocrack shinies within five minutes of posting this…

Would like to get a load more discrete audio inputs into my PC, but as I am not prepared to go the ASIO4All route have reached the end of the line with my Arturia Audiofuse + Behringer ADA 8200 combo, think I’ve found the most flexible way forward that doesn’t break the bank.

What I want
  • As many line inputs as possible as I’ll be bringing in audio from synths using audio leads and not XLR (as I already own all the leads)
  • One decent guitar input
  • One decent mic input
  • To keep using the ADA8200
  • Interface with USB and reliable low latency drivers for Mac and Win 10 and great support
  • Interface with good mixer control
  • Rack mountable or largely rack mountable solution - have limited space hence why not looking at mixing desk type solutions
Things that some interfaces offer that I don’t need at all
  • Higher sample rates - will be using only 24 bit at 48kHz
  • DSP and inbuilt plugins
  • Multiple ‘quality’ mic pres - not ever going to use more than one mic
  • Thunderbolt
  • Ethernet/AWB/other input types
  • Studio talkback - all the gear will be in just one room with just me recording myself like the sad sack I am :(
So, what I’m looking at to get me to 24 inputs right now with scope for adding up to 8 more as the RME has 4 x ADAT inputs is…

RME Digiface USB
Extra 2 x ADA8200
Behringer DI600P Ultra-DI Passive DI Box*
Initially will just use one of the ADA8200 inputs for my mic**

*as the ADA8200 doesn’t have any instrument level inputs) - just picked cheapest thing that looks like it’d work so open to suggestions

** no need for phantom power as live off a busy road and the traffic noise gets picked up badly so just use my SM58. I imagine the mic input thru ADA8200 will sound worse than thru Audiofuse’s pre-amp so will investigate getting a pre-amp, but fine for now

which comes to roughly £700

Does all that sound like a decent idea or is there some big problem I’ve not seen (other than from Behringer haters) or has anyone got a better idea that still keeps things under a grand?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Closing the last hole in the modular (this time) with a TipTop Fold Processor. :D
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:56 am I'm ready for some Eurorack modules that allow you to synthesize smell. This will give a whole new meaning to "Eurocrack."
My dog already generates a vast range of weird, mostly horrible odors.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:53 am So, what I’m looking at to get me to 24 inputs right now with scope for adding up to 8 more as the RME has 4 x ADAT inputs is…

RME Digiface USB
Extra 2 x ADA8200
Initially will just use one of the ADA8200 inputs for my mic**\
Sounds like a decent setup. You can always upgrade the converters, if you want. Can't go wrong with RME.
I would tend to want to splurge on a nicer DI but it probably won't matter too much. I'm cursed with a lust for tubes and fancy transformers lately. I got a Groove Tubes 'The Brick' DI for less than $200 on the local craigslist and I love that thing.

pekbro wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:11 am Anyway, despite buying the Hypno, I fully expect to fill up at least a 6U 84 hp case with
LZX modules and a nice linear PSU at some point. Unless the Hypno somehow demonstrates
May the lords of GAS have mercy on you. :lol: I got to play with a fairly large LZX system years ago and it was a lot of fun. I also tried Structure from Erogenous Tones at Perfect Circuit a bunch of times. Very tempting stuff but I'm committed to keeping video out of my synth racks. The stand alone boxes have gotten me where I want to go so far. :pray:

justin3am wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:23 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:53 am So, what I’m looking at to get me to 24 inputs right now with scope for adding up to 8 more as the RME has 4 x ADAT inputs is…

RME Digiface USB
Extra 2 x ADA8200
Initially will just use one of the ADA8200 inputs for my mic**\
Sounds like a decent setup. You can always upgrade the converters, if you want. Can't go wrong with RME.
I would tend to want to splurge on a nicer DI but it probably won't matter too much. I'm cursed with a lust for tubes and fancy transformers lately. I got a Groove Tubes 'The Brick' DI for less than $200 on the local craigslist and I love that thing.
Cheers for that. Yeah should be able to incrementally improve the setup, but at least this would get me to a place where I’ve got all my synths and drum machines in place so I don’t have to continually fart about unplugging things.
It’s not perfect, for instance I’d have liked some provision for aux hardware effects buses, but things start getting expensive going that route and I may be able to do that hunting by using a mixer and splitters on key outputs at some point. but, duh I’d just need to buy a patchbay wouldn’t I!

Are you safe?

justin3am wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:31 pm
pekbro wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:11 am Anyway, despite buying the Hypno, I fully expect to fill up at least a 6U 84 hp case with
May the lords of GAS have mercy on you. :lol: I got to play with a fairly large LZX system years ago and it was a lot of fun. I also tried Structure from Erogenous Tones at Perfect Circuit a bunch of times. Very tempting stuff but I'm committed to keeping video out of my synth racks. The stand alone boxes have gotten me where I want to go so far. :pray:
Heh, that's assuming I'll even be able to find the stuff. They are not very good at keeping stuff in
stock seemingly. Anyway, maybe the Hypno and the eyesy will be enough, either way, I'm not
worried, the GAS can't be any worse than it already is. :lol:

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:53 am RME Digiface USB
Extra 2 x ADA8200
Have you already go a monitor controller of some kind? I would find the lack of a simple physical volume knob to be a problem.

imrae wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:28 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:53 am RME Digiface USB
Extra 2 x ADA8200
Have you already go a monitor controller of some kind? I would find the lack of a simple physical volume knob to be a problem.
I've not plugged monitors in for ages, just using headphones these days and I've got a headphone amp with its own volume. If it ever was an issue I've got a tiny xenyx mixer I could run the monitor output through.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:51 am I've not plugged monitors in for ages, just using headphones these days and I've got a headphone amp with its own volume. If it ever was an issue I've got a tiny xenyx mixer I could run the monitor output through.
Used Presonus RM32's sell for around $6-700 USD these days and you can chain two together for 64-channels.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:30 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:51 am I've not plugged monitors in for ages, just using headphones these days and I've got a headphone amp with its own volume. If it ever was an issue I've got a tiny xenyx mixer I could run the monitor output through.
Used Presonus RM32's sell for around $6-700 USD these days and you can chain two together for 64-channels.
Yeah I saw a YT video with a guy talking about using those, but I'm pretty sold on getting the Digiface now, really like what I've heard about the quality of the RME drivers and the mixing software, also being able to mix and match preamps and even if I ever looked to upgrade from the Digiface it's only about £300 so not going to lose much there.

Only change I'm making is getting a Scarlett Octopre instead of one of the ADA8200s so I get a couple of instrument inputs built in and some slightly better quality mic input and line ins which I plan to use for hardware effects loops. Also no longer need to buy a DI box for the guitars.
Still comes to under a grand all told.

I also looked at more expensive 'all in one' solutions like RME Fireface UFX ii/+, but no-one had them in stock without a huge markup so that tempered my GAS a little bit.

I keep adding everything to the basket, but not quite clicked yet...

Are you safe?

The only thing I'm terribly interested in doing this year (other than a few trinkets) is a new computer build. But I'm not seeing it because it's just too hard to tell if I'll get a significant increase in performance.

Outside of that, just looking to sell the house and get out of Cali :lol:

Eek done the deed, should all be arriving Wednesday morning.

RME Digiface USB plus a couple of 8xInput ADAT boxes. Also included two cheap Galaxy monitor stands.
Going to get a 19" rack sorted out too for all these rack units eventually, but wasn't keen on their selection. I think Amazon has a few decent cheap racks.

Should cover me for audio interfacing for the next few years and once my four tier jaspers stand arrives and I can get all my synths and most of my devices onto one stand it should be a lot nicer environment.

But, hardware GAS is the most dangerous GAS!

Are you safe?

Man, that sounds insane!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”