Moan - THAT Slate email

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone got their latest email?

join the resistance & stop paying to update your plugins

What the f is he thinking? That people don't notice they're paying for the plugins (updated or not) each month?

He's really Kanye of music sw advertising...

k

It's semantically-manipulative language that seems to work on idiots. Sadly, it'll probably work on a lot of people.

slate’s argument is a bit daft but i’m pretty sure you have the option to unsubscribe from the emails.

weird, i got this one. i think its the original draft version....
Hey Music Maker—

Plugin companies painted themselves into a tight corner. On the one hand, they need to make enough money to keep developing cool new products. But on the other, producers want those new products to be really affordable. How affordable? So affordable that some companies got worried.

That led to some creative workarounds, including one big hat trick 🎩

Charge a small amount for the plugin, but as soon as the end of the month comes around, charge the customer again.

New OS updates meant customers would keep asking for newer versions of the plugin they already paid for. And that's how subscription plans were born: charge customers when they first buy plugins, then make them pay over and over again forever if they want those plugins to keep working.

We thought of a better way 💡

Get all of our plugins perpetually. And when it's time there's an update to those plugins, you can choose if and when you want to pay for that. And every time we release a new plugin, you can choose to buy that or not, too. In all, you can get all sorts of plugins—the same ones used on hit records in every genre— and not have to pay forever to keep using them.

Never pay a cent to keep using your plugins again.
join the resistance
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I really regret I've created an account for that Air Slate thing, now I receive this laughable drivel. Oh well, at least I didn't give them a cent and can laugh at these juicy mental gymnastics.

The only way to stop this is to not support sub based models. I'll be damned if I do. I'll just stick with the versions of everything I have and buy used computers compatible with what I already have. Of course, they'll find a way around that. House always wins.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:22 pm The only way to stop this is to not support sub based models. I'll be damned if I do. I'll just stick with the versions of everything I have and buy used computers compatible with what I already have. Of course, they'll find a way around that. House always wins.
100%

If it ain't broke...

Pay for plugins, not marketing.

Sold my Slate plugins a few years ago. Not because they were bad plugins but because of that company's greedy and arrogant attitude. That "Join the Resistance" email is beyond fuckin' belief. Unsubscribed (from their email list), for good.
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

Slate 072321-1.png
But pay every month forever for plugins you'll never own even if they don't get updated? That's their idea of a better way?

Indeed join the resistance. If we all resist these subscription scams they will eventually go away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Despite already owning most of Slate's plugins prior to him going subscription-based, I tried the subscription for a year. During that year he only put out a couple of VMR modules. Most of the non-Slate stuff that he has in his bundle can often be found on sale throughout the year. His current weird obsession with the relatively mediocre ANA2 synth is also not making me regret dropping the subscription.
I have a few other subscriptions (Kush, Plugin Alliance and Roland Cloud) that I still maintain because those companies easily cover the cost of their subscriptions with regular releases of new stuff. Unlike Plugin Alliance, Slate mostly stopped putting his subscription-based plugins on sale. Plugin Alliance has been smart enough to realize that there are people out here like myself that pay for the sub (for immediate access to all of the new stuff) and then later actually buy the plugins when they're on sale.
I still buy the plugins (on sale) because ten years from now, I don't want to find myself with a hard drive full of projects that I can't open without pulling out my wallet. If I can catch something that I subscribe to on sale, I'll just buy it out right as I just did with the McDSP Everything bundle which can be had very cheaply right now with some creative shopping.

-e.B
Last edited by eBlue on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Insert profound words here --

I won't unsubscribe due to my hope that I can be a number in their marketing statistics that shows the success rate of their marketing... my number will be representing their failure to attract customers.... until Slate goes DRM free, Key-file or serial authorization...soooo, probably fair to assume that will be the case for the remaining of my life.

I hate that ad. But I do use the subscription and it's paid quite nice dividends.

Anytime I’ve had to see any of his videos the first two words that come to mind are pompous/narcissist, I really can’t get my mind past that, even when I’m trying to think about the gear/plugins and his awesomeness that he keeps driveling on about it

Slate plugins are nothing special, I've seen detailed analysis of their behavior on another forum and they really perform average at best. Why would you need so many compressors and EQs anyway? A few good ones or in fact one multipurpose Pro-Q type EQ should have you covered for all potential tasks. I will never understand people who are more busy with buying plugins and subscribing to these services, than with actually using these tools. I guess novelty is more attractive than productivity?

Kazi7 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 pm Why would you need so many compressors and EQs anyway? A few good ones or in fact one multipurpose Pro-Q type EQ should have you covered for all potential tasks. I will never understand people who are more busy with buying plugins and subscribing to these services, than with actually using these tools. I guess novelty is more attractive than productivity?
:tu:
No auto tune...

Return to “Effects”