Kush BLYSS - Master Channel EQ+Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://thehouseofkush.com/products/blyss

Sounds very nice in the video :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

It sounds very nice in my studio as well... so far, after several hours, it takes a lot to make it sound bad. As described, a fine tuning bus(s) tool. I really like it. Let's wait for the aliasing police and see what happens...
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:44 am It sounds very nice in my studio as well... so far, after several hours, it takes a lot to make it sound bad. As described, a fine tuning bus(s) tool. I really like it. Let's wait for the aliasing police and see what happens...
I bought it for the sound and the sound only.If it's aliasing then that's part of the sound I bought it for.

Kush has some of the finest oversampling in plugin land. And the most vibey plugins. I’m a tester but I truly love the Kush product line. Blyss sounds incredible on the mixbus when you don’t want something clean and pristine.

regarding oversampling.. greg from Kush chimed in on gearspace about it:
BLYSS always oversamples at 2x and that can't be turned off, for the same reason as the Clariphonic: there is an eq band centered at a frequency that is illegal at lower samples rates, i.e., 44.1/48k. For Clariphonic it's the Silk band, for BLYSS it's the 28k band.

Oversampling allows us to define such a high band correctly, regardless of the session's native rate.

There are other ways to handle this --- disable the 28k at lower SR, or create an 'emulated' filter for lower SR sessions that simulates the 28k filter being rolled off at a lower nyquist, etc... --- but all of them make for a complicated and potentially confusing user experience, and the emulated band wouldn't be precisely the same.

In the end, locking the oversampling 'on' trades CPU efficiency for a friction-free, seamless UX, and that's almost always a tradeoff I'm inclined to make 😊

Gregory Scott - ubk

I am well acquainted with Scott's plugins and have been using them pretty much as each is released. Demoing Blyss, I wondered how it would fair in mixing. I put Blyss on each track and the mix buss of a piece I am working on with 7 tracks. It's a very busy mix with lots of transients and things going on, so one of the challenges is always making every track clear. I don't have the best studio set up for bottom end and I like to extend the low end in mixes, so it's always a challenge and wondered if Blyss's more subtle approaches could help. My first render didn't turn out so good and I felt it was because of the saturation I dialed in on each track. I think where the EQ and compressor are more subtle than usual mixing tools (because Blyss is a mastering tool), the saturation is quite strong in this one. Makes sense so as to add a healthy amount of "that Kush sound" to the mix or master buss. I re-rendered dialing the sat mix all the way to 100% dry and the result was awesome! I got the clarity I wanted and the bottom end a bit more controlled. Even without the saturation there is still a nice warm full vibe and bit more soundstage and separation (even if Greg can't hear it : ) .

dblock wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:42 pm
escalona wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:44 am It sounds very nice in my studio as well... so far, after several hours, it takes a lot to make it sound bad. As described, a fine tuning bus(s) tool. I really like it. Let's wait for the aliasing police and see what happens...
I bought it for the sound and the sound only.If it's aliasing then that's part of the sound I bought it for.

:hihi: Best :tu:

Loving Kush's BLYSS plugin.

Sounds wonderful on my Master buss, for any type of genre/mix I throw at it.

dblock wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:42 pm I bought it for the sound and the sound only.If it's aliasing then that's part of the sound I bought it for.
Precisely!

I have removed the track from the below post. I have to concede, at least for this song, Blyss as a track channel strip did not work out. Over-all it sounds better without using Blyss. I think its just not the right source to make Blyss shine.
Here's a track I am working on that has Blyss on each of the 8 channels and the mix buss. No saturation on the tracks as I found it to be too much. But Blyss is a pretty nice channel strip too but you have to get used to the curves for track mixing.

This is a work in progress so right now its just a bed track. Some kind of melody and track gain riding and over-all structure is TBD:

Agh. Unfortunately it seems I cannot test this as its not Win7 compatible :( Oh well, later then. Just sounds so good on the low and low-mids just by inserting it (in some videos)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro

legendCNCD wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:58 pm Agh. Unfortunately it seems I cannot test this as its not Win7 compatible :( Oh well, later then. Just sounds so good on the low and low-mids just by inserting it (in some videos)
It's your lucky day legendCNCD! I demo'd it then bought it a couple weeks ago. It sits on my master bus in my Cubase temple. I'm using Windows 7. They don't support it on Windows 7 but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Just means they didn't test it for Windows 7 compatibility...but I did. :wink:

dblock wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:41 pm It's your lucky day legendCNCD! I demo'd it then bought it a couple weeks ago. It sits on my master bus in my Cubase temple. I'm using Windows 7. They don't support it on Windows 7 but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Just means they didn't test it for Windows 7 compatibility...but I did. :wink:
Oh man. Then I'm gonna demo it tomorrow :hyper: :tu:
Hope it works on Live 10 too - I havent updated the Omegas because of they said Win8.1 at least required.

legendCNCD wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:45 pm
dblock wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:41 pm It's your lucky day legendCNCD! I demo'd it then bought it a couple weeks ago. It sits on my master bus in my Cubase temple. I'm using Windows 7. They don't support it on Windows 7 but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Just means they didn't test it for Windows 7 compatibility...but I did. :wink:
Oh man. Then I'm gonna demo it tomorrow :hyper: :tu:
Hope it works on Live 10 too - I havent updated the Omegas because of they said Win8.1 at least required.
Good luck! Let me know if it works for you. :tu:

plexuss wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:36 am I have removed the track from the below post. I have to concede, at least for this song, Blyss as a track channel strip did not work out. Over-all it sounds better without using Blyss. I think its just not the right source to make Blyss shine.
Honestly, I've had Blyss for some time and it's not a "use-everywhere" type of channel strip IMO. Works great on the mix bus or complex sources like keys, but the EQ is pretty broad and the compressor pretty gentle. When I think channel strip, I think workhorse. I want HP/LP filters, a flexible compressor, maybe even gating/expansion. Blyss is more of a "sound-gooderizer." If I were processing drums, vocals, bass etc., I'd stick to my tried and true plugins for that particular task, get things sounding good, and then if anything, maybe try sticking Blyss on at the end. But like, if I were trying to iron out an overly dynamic kick drum or squash a snare, or totally level out a dynamic rock vocal, I don't think I'd even consider Blyss. Certainly not as a replacement for my typical channel processing but maybe as an add. And if adding, be careful about not driving too hot.

But it's totally killer on keys like pianos, EPs, the mix buss, maybe adding some dark vibes to an already good sounding drum bus. That kind of thing.

Return to “Effects”