Virtuosity Drums (Update 924 Available)

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Virtuosity Drums

Hi all,

EDIT: Version 924 is now out, which fixes some ride triggering issues!

We've just rolled out a minor patch, Beta 922, for Virtuosity Drums, mostly focused on minor improvements to polyphony and voice stealing/choking behavior. This will help with realism in situations of loud hits followed by quiet hits on hi-hats, for example.

Please find the latest patch on the Downloads page:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/virtuo ... /downloads

If you have already downloaded the library, please instead download 'v922 Update Files Only', extract the contents, and copy them so that the 'Programs' folder and other files overwrite their counterparts in your existing installation. Be sure to select 'Replace' when prompted.

The main download links have already been updated to have the patch applied. Please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or issues with the patch or the library as a whole.

A video walkthrough will be made available later this week for those who have been waiting for that. Otherwise, please consider checking out the manual, which is quite detailed:
https://www.versilstudios.com/Distro/Vi ... Manual.pdf

Thank you for your time and enjoy the library!
Patch notes from dsmolken wrote:Beta 0.922
Off-mode set to normal under every global, so mute times should work as intended now
Whistle self-muting fixed so it works now

Beta 0.921
Bug with note-selfmasking fixed - details below
Polyphony limiting now is three per mic per key in general, except for snare roll keys which get 6, and hi-hat which gets max because the silence groups there can cause problems
Group numbers added under master headers for mics to get the note_polyphony to keep a separate counter for each mic - kludgy but I'll take it
Fixed bleed controls in basic kit which were totally wrong in 0.920

Beta 0.920
Polyphony doesn't work well with multiple mics on - fixed
Polyphony limit switched from per kit piece to per key, so note_selfmask will be used and quiet hits won't kill louder ones unrealistically
Hi-hat keys have note_polyphony=MAX because without that stuff behaved weirdly
Hi-hat, triangle and conga should still have more muted articulations mute less-muted ones
Last edited by Samulis on Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And here's that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGeFOETB8qs

Also uploaded to GitHub, for convenient forking: https://github.com/sfzinstruments/virtuosity_drums

can´t help but i voted this on my first place :D. it sounds really good

Much appreciated! If anybody's using this in a track (including after the voting period ends) let us know because I'm really curious if things like vintage mic and the epic knob will be used in reality.

i have to admit that i only tested these two presets:
1. basic kit
2. full kit

i just now briefly tested the rest of the other 6 presets
including the last one:
8. vintage mic

i'm definitely going to use virtuosity drums in the future.

but where is the "epic knob"?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:25 pm i have to admit that i only tested these two presets:
1. basic kit
2. full kit

i just now briefly tested the rest of the other 6 presets
including the last one:
8. vintage mic

i'm definitely going to use virtuosity drums in the future.

but where is the "epic knob"?
The 'Epic' knob is located at the bottom of the GUI, under the last four mic positions:
Screenshot 2021-06-29 170900.png
If you don't see this screen, hit the 'Controls' button in the upper left to go to it.

You can also mix together the mic positions on Basic Kit and Full Kit here, allowing you to combine the signals of several mic positions to taste within a single instance (albeit only giving a single stereo out). Note that Basic Kit only contains the first three mic positions (Kick, Snare, Overheads), while the Full Kit includes all of the mic positions and the full sample set.

The individual mic position presets, 3-8, are designed for those who wish to route each mic array through further processing individually, which can be done by creating several instances of Sforzando, each with a separate mic position preset loaded but outputting to a different track or audio channel, then routing the drum MIDI data through all of them at once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I've only just come across this today and have to say I'm extremely impressed with this! I would love a brush version of the same kit :love:

dickiefunk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm I've only just come across this today and have to say I'm extremely impressed with this! I would love a brush version of the same kit :love:
Thanks! Would you want that badly enough to pay for it? Because if enough people do, then having free sticks and commercial brushes would let us make "freemium jazz drums" jokes. And that's really important to me.

dickiefunk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm I've only just come across this today and have to say I'm extremely impressed with this! I would love a brush version of the same kit :love:
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

As DSmolken said, it's something we're hoping to do! The original session took almost 4 hours, so it's just a matter of finding time and resources. We had originally hoped to do brushes in the original session but got lost sampling all the cool alternate snare hits and such.

My general thought would be to make a brushes version as an affordable commercial library, so that we can pay Austin a bit better (... fine, and make the aforementioned 'freemium jazz' joke ...). If you or anyone else has opinions on this, feel free to weigh in.

The brushes kit probably won't be totally interchangeable, but close enough for Jazz ( :dog: ). Although I have measurements, photos, and detailed records of what was played, it's understandably difficult to perfectly match something months later.

Awesome plug-in :tu:

Thanks, and congratulations on your glorious victory!

Thank you, Sir! I definitely will use your plug-in on my tracks, just amazing! :)

I don't have enough faith in me ever having time to make another track to return the compliment, but I can say that back when I did things other than edit samples, the most popular track I've ever produced used Nabla for synth strings.

Congratulations on the win - well deserved! Just a bit of both epic and vintage elements adds some pleasing character.

brijawi wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:39 am Congratulations on the win - well deserved! Just a bit of both epic and vintage elements adds some pleasing character.
Thanks brijawi! The vintage was a last-minute addition on my part, and the Epic knob was a last-minute addition on DSmolken's part. We actually debated at some length whether or not the Epic knob was appropriate in the context, but both agreed it was too cool sounding to leave out.

(To be clear, the audio in the sample library is the unprocessed sound of each mic; no compression, no EQ, etc. The vintage mic really is that crunchy sounding!)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”