Acustica Audio Plugins are killing my computer.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://gearspace.com/board/attachments ... va-raw.mp3
And here is the raw balance for comparison. Weird, when I was trying to load directly from my computer KVR kept telling me that the file was not valid. Didn't know you could do it like this until I read your post.
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

Also just noticed on your post that you can link a single post, which I also didn't know.
It's one of those moments that make you feel just a little stupid :dog:
Thanks again
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

Perhaps we don't really need AA in 2021 and what ever happened to CUDA. The Aquarius is a PITA and I might only want a Tim Petherick Nebula compressor on the Master bus

Try mixing with Chow Tape, DDMF, Hornet SW34Eq, and PSP E27

This is where I'm heading:
A Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt ASIO interface (which can go down to 1ms RTL)
2x UAD Satellite Thunderbolt Octo' provide 24 channels of Helios or Neve 1084
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I currently have 2 UAD Octo PCIe cards and have 2 more on the way (96k projects are very commonplace nowadays and even though I have an 18 core machine with a full 128 of ram large amounts of AA are just not doable up there) and while I agree that UAD is excellent the combination of the 2 is what works for me.

As of a year ago I was perfectly happy with just UAD and regular plugs. Then I fell down the AA rabbit hole and that was that. I realize that this is all highly subjective but I've tried every single Logarithmic plugin there is over the years since I sold all my hardware. Hell, I was quite content to work like that and always got results I was happy with. I was one of the people who would smile at people who raved about AA like I was talking to someone in a cult and felt sorry for them.

Then I really gave it a go and well...I am now one of the people I would condescend to :ud:
They are the only thing that I feel is better than UAD (not by a lot, but still...)and they give me tools not available elsewhere. I get results very quickly and have learned to deal with the compromises that they bring (needing to freeze and the occasional crash) because of the sound. They aren't for everyone as not everybody is willing to deal with the headaches that these bring but to me? Its definitely worth it

YMMV and all that :phones:
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

electro wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:14 pm Perhaps we don't really need AA in 2021 and what ever happened to CUDA. The Aquarius is a PITA and I might only want a Tim Petherick Nebula compressor on the Master bus

A Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt ASIO interface (which can go down to 1ms RTL)
PSP's E27 is as CPU heavy as some Acustica plugins for me. It's great though.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:44 am
electro wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:14 pm Perhaps we don't really need AA in 2021 and what ever happened to CUDA. The Aquarius is a PITA and I might only want a Tim Petherick Nebula compressor on the Master bus

PSP's E27 is as CPU heavy as some Acustica plugins for me. It's great though.
Yeah that one is heavy for sure. I tried it when it came out and my computer at the time simply informed me that it wasn't gonna happen so I gave up on it. My new machine should be able to deal with it. Thanks for the reminder that this exists. A good friend of mine has a pair of those Avedis and they are incredible on the top end :tu:
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

Maybe OT, maybe not: There is an awful lot of disagreement on what I'm going to bring up (and I'm certainly not taking sides) but, don't you think it kinda sucks that ever with mega cash you can't seem to really solve this issue? My computer is almost 10 years old. It's good, it's fine. But I'd gladly spend the money on a new one but I can't get a straight answer as to best value.

Many many people have consulted me on this and they almost all say I'll only see a small performance increase even with like a threadripper because it seems that the first core gets tasked the most.

Anyways, if I'm OT, I'll just edit this. But I thought it was relevant to the conversation.

hitherepeople wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:39 pm Maybe OT, maybe not: There is an awful lot of disagreement on what I'm going to bring up (and I'm certainly not taking sides) but, don't you think it kinda sucks that ever with mega cash you can't seem to really solve this issue? My computer is almost 10 years old. It's good, it's fine. But I'd gladly spend the money on a new one but I can't get a straight answer as to best value.

Many many people have consulted me on this and they almost all say I'll only see a small performance increase even with like a threadripper because it seems that the first core gets tasked the most.

Anyways, if I'm OT, I'll just edit this. But I thought it was relevant to the conversation.
You are not OT.
I always wonder why PT always seems to eat at the middle of the CPU cores instead of evenly distributing the load. It always seems to me that even on my 18 core machine there is an enormous amount of wasted resources. I have a guy that builds my machines and am not incredibly savy when it comes down to the inner workings of computers but seeing it in action confuses the hell out of me.

That said this is just what is at the moment. My plan is to literally create a computer for just AA and virtual instruments. I read at GS that several people are using multiple computers to run their AA stuff through gridder and are quite happy with the results.
Of course I can only take their word for it but based on my own experimentation it seems to be steps in the right direction.

My perspective is a little different because I come from owning a ton of analog gear and sticking to it until I could get comparable results ITB. When that happened I made the jump. Because I had the experience of owning, maintaining, having to repair as well as really enjoying the sound of an obscene amount of gear that cost as much as a small mortgage I couldn't accept compromise when it came down to how things sounded.

Financially I directly compare what it costs me to get the computers I need to run things the way I want vs what it cost me to have all that gear (at one point I had about $84,000 worth of gear in a 20 by 18 foot room with a $750 monthly electric bill) and proportionally speaking the cost of dealing with AA is relatively small. As to what is the best option, when I finish my computer for AA (plan on using AMD for this) I'll report back on how it went and if its worth the investment.

As much as I love their products the one place where they fall flat is efficiency. Their stuff is uniquely greedy with resources and if I expect to deal with it I have to pay the price, just like I did with hardware when the tradeoff was $750 a month in power bills.

I'm probably not going to be able to use AA with impunity no matter what I put together and freezing will most likely always be part of the equation (much as I dislike it). That said so long as the sonics are there a little patience goes a long way, so I'll stick to it because at the end of it all it comes down to sound and I will gladly trade off convenience for sonics every time.

I wish I had a better answer as I would personally like better options to deal with this but at the moment, it is what it is :bang:
Last edited by dasoundjunkie on Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

Well, clearly you are both much further down the rabbit hole, and far more experienced than I :lol:

hitherepeople wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:12 pm Well, clearly you are both much further down the rabbit hole, and far more experienced than I :lol:
Its the red pill in The Matrix man :phones:
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

"Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"

:)

At least with Acquas they can be bypassed/frozen to manage resources, but Nebua 4 on macPOS can not - they disabled bypass and turning it off when frozen! That means with Nebula 4 instances will consume the same CPU even when bypassed or frozen. That really limits N4's usefulness.

I wish AA would just enable bypass and releasing CPU when frozen so it can actually be used - otherwise you get to your CPU limit pretty qulckly with N4 and cant move forward.

hitherepeople wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:43 pm "Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
f**kers only gave me the red pill
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

hitherepeople wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:43 pm "Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"

Available at most pharmacies.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

plexuss wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:47 pm At least with Acquas they can be bypassed/frozen to manage resources, but Nebua 4 on macPOS can not - they disabled bypass and turning it off when frozen! That means with Nebula 4 instances will consume the same CPU even when bypassed or frozen. That really limits N4's usefulness.

I wish AA would just enable bypass and releasing CPU when frozen so it can actually be used - otherwise you get to your CPU limit pretty qulckly with N4 and cant move forward.
Wow that sucks!
I don't have that issue in windows and I am completely baffled as to why that would be like that.
It doesn't even begin to make sense :!:
Have you done a support ticket? I have 2 different friends who are both on Mac and don't have this issue.
I have no idea what else to suggest :dog:
Leo Alvarez
Rezenent Music

Return to “Effects”