Studio One 5 MPE Support

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's interesting because MPE requires no capability with any VST or AU format. It requires only to pass all 16 MIDI channels to the plug-in instrument. It appears that Presonus doesn't understand what MPE is.

They might think: Why simple if you can have it complicated?

A common problem with computers.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Ah well at least this means I can put off upgrading

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 pm That's interesting because MPE requires no capability with any VST or AU format. It requires only to pass all 16 MIDI channels to the plug-in instrument. It appears that Presonus doesn't understand what MPE is.
Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to reach out and educate them what MPE is. The fact that they are even attempting to implement a technology that caters to a relatively small percentage of users is a positive thing in my opinion. Wider adoption of MPE is only going to benefit your company.

I personally am thrilled they have added it, even if it's not perfect yet. Studio One has been my primary DAW for about 5 years now and one of the things I like about it is the company's consideration of user feedback. If there is some change needed to make their implementation of MPE better, submit a request on their feature request forum. If it gets enough votes from other users, they WILL make the change/addition. I'm pretty sure this is how MPE even made it to the update first place, due to the amount of people requesting it.

Unfortunately my time is too limited to contact all the music software developers in an attempt to convince them of the importance of adding or correctly adding MPE. You’re welcome to tell them to read a page on my site called “How to add MPE”, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page.

Is MPE working properly in Studio One 5 yet?

Guess not :(

It’s still the same in 5.1.1 and I can confirm it only works on VST2 and not AU or VST3 plug-ins. It’s so much worse than bitwig’s implementation.

My suggestion is not to waste your time on it if you have logic or bitwig available. Even if you use studio one for mixing and at mixing stage decide you want to add an mpe part, it’s easier just to go back to bitwig, add the part, export audio, then import in S1

What I pity - I suppose I should be thankful for them charging too much for the upgrade in the BF sales, it meant I held off till another time.

Guys, I am getting a Linnstrument for my studio, and I'm a Studio One user. After reading all of your posts (thank you), I found some info on Studio One updates regarding MPE support.

StudioOne 5.3 - MPE Support for VST3!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp0Effc9_k&t=9s

Looks like finally MPE VST3 instruments are supported. Would any of you guys check it out and let us know how good it works? I would gladly lend one of my unused Studio One / Sphere activations if you need to. As some of you stated, the guys at Presonus really listen to user's feedback!

I'm looking forward to being part of the Linnstrument family!

Cheers!

It is not very useful to have the pitch of each note in an automation lane separated from the note itself, and also the pitch bend data is not shown as pitch so you don't know exactly where it is going, to edit that must be a nightmare...
Win 11 | Linnstrument | Bitwig | MOTU Digital Performer | Kurzweil K2000R | Roland JV-1080 | Roland JV-2080 | Roland GR-50 | Doepfer Dark Energy | Xfer Serum | UVI Falcon | u-he | iZotope | Arturia | Synapse Audio

I've used it a few times since they updated to support MPE with VST3s. It does work with the (10 or so) VST3s I tried and I didn't spot any technical issues. The user experience working in Bitwig is quite a lot better, because in Bitwig the UI shows all the pitch bends attached to all the notes, whereas Studio One just shows it as a load of automation lanes all stacked on top of each other. I'd say S1 is good enough to add a VST3 MPE part to a track when I'm at the mixing stage to save time, but for everyday composing/recording/production with MPE instruments Bitwig is still better.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”