2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It’s actually the sanest thing I could have spent a grand on for my home studio; it was very hard not to include any synths or effects units in the purchase. I got very very close to adding a Bodyssey.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Sorry, I didn't mean like that kinda insane. I meant it sounded insane like "nice setup" insane :)

Just picked up a Modal Cobalt8 yesterday. Spent some time with it today, I’m liking it so far. I have a month to make sure I want to keep it, so I’ll be spending more time with it in the coming weeks.

hitherepeople wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:19 pm Outside of that, just looking to sell the house and get out of Cali :lol:
Good move (no pun intended). If I were young and single, I'd spend the summer in Norway in an unused school dorm in the mountains. The possibilities for mobile musicians are so awesome now.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:21 pm It’s actually the sanest thing I could have spent a grand on for my home studio; it was very hard not to include any synths or effects units in the purchase. I got very very close to adding a Bodyssey.
Do it. It's a beautiful synth. The Korg sounds much more like a vintage Odyssey but the Bodyssey has a big, mean sound that the original doesn't do.

BT has 128-channels of Lynx converters that allow him to keep all his synths live. I use a 16-channel summing mixer to accomplish a similar thing. I lose the direct inputs that you'll now have but I wanted the sound of the mixer added.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:20 pm Do it. It's a beautiful synth.
Oh I will, but just not now. I’m keeping some powder dry for Black Friday.

Yeah, I could probably have used a summing mixer, but the thing I want to do easily, which discrete audio channels help with, is to have some hardware effects buses that I can send copies of individual synth audio to so I get the dry and effected channels to mix with.

If Roland could come up with an Overbridge style plugin like Elektron have I could get eight channels back from my TR-8S! Maybe I will eventually anyway as I may get the Mac Mini ‘Pro’ when it shows up and then could use Core Audio and aggregated interfaces without the ASIO4All evils.

Are you safe?

Uncle E wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:08 pm
hitherepeople wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:19 pm Outside of that, just looking to sell the house and get out of Cali :lol:
Good move (no pun intended). If I were young and single, I'd spend the summer in Norway in an unused school dorm in the mountains. The possibilities for mobile musicians are so awesome now.
Well, I swore I wouldn't post anymore tonight, but..........

I'm either moving to Rapid City SD or Prescott AZ. I'm a senior and can live pretty cheaply on my retirement. I want outdoor activity, good prices, and great SENIOR places to choose from. They seem to be the two that come up the most. I have no interest in nightlife, just good cost of living, good health care and fun outdoors!

Paid a tenner for Gear4Music to send me all the kit I’d booked specifically on Wednesday morning.
Get an email just now

“ Good news, your order will be delivered earlier than expected. It is now arriving on Tuesday”

Are you safe?

Set everything up in half an hour and it works flawlessly. The RME is much happier with low buffers than my old Audiofuse and must say the Scarlett Octopre is pretty decent, DI guitar sounds great through it. Looking forward to setting my monitors up on the stands I bought, but that inevitably requires moving a lot of shit around.

The Digiface is so ridiculously tiny, smaller than a pack of cards
digiface.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?

Sure would be nice if there were a desktop version of the Sequential Pro-3, or the Moog Subsequent 37, or even the Arturia MatrixBrute, but I doubt they'll ever appear (there wasn't one for the Pro-2 either). I love the sounds of these but the price is a bit bonkers for monosynths and I just don't like the space that these keyboard versions consume.

Maybe there is a gap in the market for a desktop monosyth with bells and whistles?
<List your stupid gear here>

Pro-1, K2, Wasp, Odyssey Module, and Minilogue XD Module are all quite good. The Wasp is really amazing for the price. Jupiter Xm is sort of module-ish.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:47 pm Pro-1, K2, Wasp, Odyssey Module, and Minilogue XD Module are all quite good. The Wasp is really amazing for the price. Jupiter Xm is sort of module-ish.
Problem is most don't have presets, with the exception of the Minilogue XD (which I already have). Jupiter is of course virtual analog and digital, and while I have a System 8 already, I'm looking for a solid three oscillator (VCO) analog synth such as I've mentioned. I have the Analog Four mkII, which ticks the box in everything except that it's DCO, even if a damn good one.

Why presets? Because it's a better workflow, than using sliders and patch cables, and you can save your work rather than losing your discoveries. Hence, the Pro-3, Arturia MatrixBrute and Subsequent 37 are so tempting.

I agree, I'd like more full featured desktop synths without keyboards. A desktop Pro3 with all the hands on control would be really cool, though I don't think it would end up being much smaller than it is now or bring the price down much.
I do really love the Pro3. It's a sound designer's playground. All the feedback routing is really interesting and the new patch morphing feature takes it even further. I had 4 desktop Evolvers over the years, the Pro3 has all the things I loved about that synth and a bunch more.

egbert101 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:11 pm
Uncle E wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:47 pm Pro-1, K2, Wasp, Odyssey Module, and Minilogue XD Module are all quite good. The Wasp is really amazing for the price. Jupiter Xm is sort of module-ish.
Problem is most don't have presets, with the exception of the Minilogue XD (which I already have). Jupiter is of course virtual analog and digital, and while I have a System 8 already, I'm looking for a solid three oscillator (VCO) analog synth such as I've mentioned. I have the Analog Four mkII, which ticks the box in everything except that it's DCO, even if a damn good one.

Why presets? Because it's a better workflow, than using sliders and patch cables, and you can save your work rather than losing your discoveries. Hence, the Pro-3, Arturia MatrixBrute and Subsequent 37 are so tempting.
What about Roland SE-02?
3 Osc, Oscillator sync and PWM + presets :)

What about Roland SE-02?
3 Osc, Oscillator sync and PWM + presets :)
Kinda what I'm looking for but wanted more options, but this might be worth it considering the presets. Overlooked this several times, but I'll check it out for sure. :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”