Nothing approaches IK Tape BUT it hates my computer! Alternatives? SOLVED!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! Some exaggerated tweaks to Softube Tape did the trick for what I was looking for. :tu: :tu:
Last edited by dblock on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dblock wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:19 pm Thanks for all the input and suggestions everybody. I got Softube Tape setup enough to my liking to substitute IK Tape on busier projects.
Tape is a viable solution and stands in its own right as a good Tape emu too, IMO. Just to see how many tracks I could run of IK 80, I loaded up a track with an audio stem and Tape 80 and replicated the track until my computer sputtered. 20 trakcs. However that is JUST with IK 80 on each track. In a real-world project I would never be able to even run 1 instance without audio data loss and thats because I typically use modern VI's and other plugins. When I get the mix buss I can't even add one Tape 80 without stuttering. This is why a real-time 1x OS mode would be helpful because I could at least get some semblance of what Tape 80 is doing and make EQ adjustments etc as necessary. As it it, I have to bypass IK Tape and only use it at render when I usually get a nice surprise but the sound is different in real-time without it. Really there is no good reason to exclude real-time and render OS settings for pretty much any plugin. it automates workload with is a usability best practice.

plexuss wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:31 pm
dblock wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:19 pm Thanks for all the input and suggestions everybody. I got Softube Tape setup enough to my liking to substitute IK Tape on busier projects.
Tape is a viable solution and stands in its own right as a good Tape emu too, IMO. Just to see how many tracks I could run of IK 80, I loaded up a track with an audio stem and Tape 80 and replicated the track until my computer sputtered. 20 trakcs. However that is JUST with IK 80 on each track. In a real-world project I would never be able to even run 1 instance without audio data loss and thats because I typically use modern VI's and other plugins. When I get the mix buss I can't even add one Tape 80 without stuttering. This is why a real-time 1x OS mode would be helpful because I could at least get some semblance of what Tape 80 is doing and make EQ adjustments etc as necessary. As it it, I have to bypass IK Tape and only use it at render when I usually get a nice surprise but the sound is different in real-time without it. Really there is no good reason to exclude real-time and render OS settings for pretty much any plugin. it automates workload with is a usability best practice.
If I tried to load 20 instances of IK Tape on my system, my house lights would go out and we'd be without running water. I used to try recording into IK Tape only to be disappointed to realize that when the song was almost done and with all the other plugins I used on, I would be forced to take IK off.I don't do the freeze thing for a number of reasons due to issues I've had doing that but yeah, I'm surprisingly happy with the Softube tweaks suggested. This will do me for awhile.

dblock wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:06 pm
That is true but I'm not ready to part with my Openlabs XXL workstation. I can tolerate it's limitations until it literally falls apart because it's just a badass machine despite some of cpu limits.Instead I decided to see if anyone has come across a similarly realistic tape sim that I'm not aware of that's more cpu manageable.
Ah, I see - you've got one of these - I can understand that you're not keen at all to part ways with it if it's not at all necessary.

The thing that is imo closest to the TR ones in that you can basically just load it up on any track and it will do its thing and really subtly improve the mix is Hornet Tape. Over at Gearslutz people are full of praise for it too btw - beats the crap out of Softube Tape (which I also own) if you ask me - unless you'd look for something a lot more obvious and destructive...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

dblock wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:54 pm but yeah, I'm surprisingly happy with the Softube tweaks suggested.
I'm really surprised about this too, tbh :o
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 am
dblock wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:06 pm
That is true but I'm not ready to part with my Openlabs XXL workstation. I can tolerate it's limitations until it literally falls apart because it's just a badass machine despite some of cpu limits.Instead I decided to see if anyone has come across a similarly realistic tape sim that I'm not aware of that's more cpu manageable.
Ah, I see - you've got one of these - I can understand that you're not keen at all to part ways with it if it's not at all necessary.

The thing that is imo closest to the TR ones in that you can basically just load it up on any track and it will do its thing and really subtly improve the mix is Hornet Tape. Over at Gearslutz people are full of praise for it too btw - beats the crap out of Softube Tape (which I also own) if you ask me - unless you'd look for something a lot more obvious and destructive...
Thanks. Never considered Hornet for a Tape sim..I have a couple of their meter plugins from way backwhich are low priced, low cpu and decent. I'll check it out.
As far as obvious and destructive goes, that's pretty subjective but I get what you're saying. Being that It's easier to pull back on something that's going too far than it is to increase something that isn't there I look for the "option" of being obvious and destructive or subtle but not necessarily dedicated to either. That could pretty much suit any taste.
Last edited by dblock on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

jens wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:11 am
dblock wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:54 pm but yeah, I'm surprisingly happy with the Softube tweaks suggested.
Don't get me wrong, that's not to say I've been able to make Softube Tape sound like IK Tape. That isn't possible. What I mean is, Softube Tape still sounds like Softube Tape for whatever you think about it but I was able to make it sound less subtle and more obvious to my taste the way IK Tape sounds obvious to me so now it's the more obvious version of the "Softube subtle Tape sound" if that makes sense.I feel better grabbing Softube Tape now to sub for IK tape in a pinch where I wouldn't do that before. I would just do without.

BRA Magnetite is the one you are looking for. I believe there is a demo version.

Kazi7 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:02 pm BRA Magnetite is the one you are looking for. I believe there is a demo version.
Thanks Kazi7. I checked out on youtube and it sounds good. Will demo.

Do you want a tape plugin that smoothens the transients when you drive the input? ToneBoosters ReelBus v4 and Hornet Tape are examples of tape plugins that do that. Magnetite on the other hand does not, but that can be useful too.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:34 pm Do you want a tape plugin that smoothens the transients when you drive the input? ToneBoosters ReelBus v4 and Hornet Tape are examples of tape plugins that do that. Magnetite on the other hand does not, but that can be useful too.
Thanks for your input Lotuz2019 but I pretty much settled on some exaggerated tweaks to Softube Tape for what I was looking for. :tu:

dblock wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:15 pm
Kazi7 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:02 pm BRA Magnetite is the one you are looking for. I believe there is a demo version.
Thanks Kazi7. I checked out on youtube and it sounds good. Will demo.
It can be found in the buy and sell forum from as low as €5.
Serious alternatives might also be Vectorial Volterra Kernels Technology, like Acustica's Nebula.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

dblock wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 am
jens wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:11 am
Don't get me wrong, that's not to say I've been able to make Softube Tape sound like IK Tape. That isn't possible. What I mean is, Softube Tape still sounds like Softube Tape for whatever you think about it but I was able to make it sound less subtle and more obvious to my taste the way IK Tape sounds obvious to me so now it's the more obvious version of the "Softube subtle Tape sound" if that makes sense.I feel better grabbing Softube Tape now to sub for IK tape in a pinch where I wouldn't do that before. I would just do without.
I think I get what you mean...

I also in no way meant to say that Hornet Tape sounds similar to the IK ones... just that it... I don't know... you can just leave it on (at least when not driving it too hard, never really tried that tbh) - with Softube Tape it seemed to me it's either too subtle or it someone tends to compromise the signal in way that I usually end up preferring it to be off in the end (i.e. in the context of the mix) - how nice it may sound on its own. And tbh that seems to be my impression with most Tape-plugins...

I tried using Softube Tape in Studio One as a Mix FX (it's a special Studio One thing where you insert it once and it gets automatically applied to all channels that feed the one you inserted it on https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/B ... ine_FX.htm) and truth to be told, I think it sounded really really shitty.

Not wanting to rub it in, but I am working on a song right now where I use an instance of IK Tape (mostly 24 but also a few 440) on every track - 12 in total and yes, there's uke too :lol: (and Window's Task Manager reports less than 40% CPU useage... ) love it, love it, love it... they are just superb.

jens wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:52 pm

I tried using Softube Tape in Studio One as a Mix FX (it's a special Studio One thing where you insert it once and it gets automatically applied to all channels that feed the one you inserted it and truth to be told, I think it sounded really really shitty.

I don't get that, but it's REALLY CPU intensive that way. I just put one on the master. It's easy, sounds really good to me, just kinda vibby.

yeah IK 80 is my favorite and sadly i own all four lol. the other three get no use. (all the rest of my tape sims collect virtual dust too) but as for economy version... if i am not mistaken IK Tapes use IRs of sorts and IRs are basically .wav files and you can't compress real audio waveforms without losing something somewhere :(

i never mix into the 80... i do the work then i place the 80 at the end of the mixbus and tweak it. i then do like plex... i render/print/bounce a mixdown... then i check the output file on various references. as he said it is kinda flying blind but it works for me. i note what needs attention and go back in tweak and start the process dump all over lol sure it is a pain and a slow 'workflow' but you won't get quality imo doing things speedily.

cheers

p.s. wash, rinse... repeat lol
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Return to “Effects”