Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:42 pmBecause I cannot finish the mix...
Why not? Glitches and stuff don't really bother me when I am working. If we didn't play live, I probably wouldn't bother with ASIO or any kind of audio I/O device, beyond what ships inside my computer. As long as it renders clean, it's fine.
It’s not just a glitch, that wouldn’t bother me either.

It’s a massive pop, the only way to get audio back is to restart SO5. I don’t have the time to constantly restart every 2 mins.

I restarted the mix in Reaper, absolutely no pops or spikes.

The SO5 pop gives a metering error with the number 666, I’m not alone with this problem but there’s no apparent fix unfortunately.

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:11 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 am I’m mixing a track in SO5 Pro and have started getting a horrible issue where randomly, there’s a pop, all sound cuts and the master meters peak out and say 666…
Does it show up when you render? If not, why worry?
hoxclab wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 amHas anyone completed a full album on Studio One? I always see users having problems and selling the software.
No but I have more than 40 songs working perfectly and anticipate no problems when it's time to pump out another album.
I talk to some engineers from time to time and none recommend it and are always speaking highly of Reaper. What's the appeal with Studio One? It seems like a mess. I've demoed it and was not a fan at all.
Ha! Reaper is a complete bloody mess, made by a guy with no vision of his own who just adds every stupid feature anyone asks for. I wouldn't bother downloading it if it was free. Studio One is not without its issues but it's a great working environment with good workflow and all the features anyone could need.
If you mean by 'no vision'
-Modular hybrid track routings
-Lightweight dsp language (js)
-low footprint
-lowest cpu usage on the market
-completely themeable
Etc... then yeah ...
His last ' no vision ' project made the dude a bloody millionaire ,which gave him the liberty to do what he wants , and reaper is the prime example of that .
No deadlines dictated by suits ,etc..
Just for once , take your head out of your ass.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

simmo75 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 am
Why not? Glitches and stuff don't really bother me when I am working. If we didn't play live, I probably wouldn't bother with ASIO or any kind of audio I/O device, beyond what ships inside my computer. As long as it renders clean, it's fine.

It’s a massive pop, the only way to get audio back is to restart SO5. I don’t have the time to constantly restart every 2 mins.

The SO5 pop gives a metering error with the number 666, I’m not alone with this problem but there’s no apparent fix unfortunately.
What audio interface you are using? Focusrite?

EnGee wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:37 am
simmo75 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 am

What audio interface you are using? Focusrite?
No, I’m using Arturia Audiofuse Studio.

Sorry! I have no idea! I read some had a problem with Focusrite and when they changed it, the problem disappeared. Personally, I have never had such a problem with S1. My audio interface is Presonus iTwo though, so I don't know if it is related. My problem with S1 is mostly with Midi not Audio (like an automation bug I've just had yesterday!).

simmo75 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 amIt’s not just a glitch, that wouldn’t bother me either. It’s a massive pop, the only way to get audio back is to restart SO5. I don’t have the time to constantly restart every 2 mins.
Yeah, that sounds really annoying.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:04 amIf you mean by 'no vision'
-low footprint
-completely themeable
Etc... then yeah ...
I'm not sure how long you've been around but I remember when it was released and in the first few years he just added anything and everything people asked for and pretty much nothing else. That's what I mean by no vision of his own. Maybe that was his vision - to make something for everyone else - but I don't see how that works for me. e.g. Not one of the things in your list means anything at all to me. Orion worked for me because Rich and I shared a similar vision for what the perfect virtual studio should be. I can't think of a single user request he ever added that I found all that useful. All the good stuff was the stuff he did because he wanted it in there. Now that he's given it up, I have to live with a lot more compromises than I used to.
His last ' no vision ' project made the dude a bloody millionaire
How do you know he had no vision for that, either? Clearly you don't, just put zero thought into your response.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

simmo75 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 am It’s a massive pop, the only way to get audio back is to restart SO5. I don’t have the time to constantly restart every 2 mins.
That's usually caused by a bad sample, a NaN or a +/-Infinity, which will cause a glitch and overload the audio system. This will probably be the case if it always happens in the exact same place on the timeline. Mute all your tracks, set up a loop around the problem area and unmute tracks until you find the culprit. Re-render that bit of audio if you can and replace.

Programs should have protection against trying to play those values.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 am
simmo75 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 am It’s a massive pop, the only way to get audio back is to restart SO5. I don’t have the time to constantly restart every 2 mins.
That's usually caused by a bad sample, a NaN or a +/-Infinity, which will cause a glitch and overload the audio system. This will probably be the case if it always happens in the exact same place on the timeline. Mute all your tracks, set up a loop around the problem area and unmute tracks until you find the culprit. Re-render that bit of audio if you can and replace.

Programs should have protection against trying to play those values.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll try that tomorrow.

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:23 am I'm not sure how long you've been around but I remember when it was released and in the first few years he just added anything and everything people asked for and pretty much nothing else. That's what I mean by no vision of his own. Maybe that was his vision - to make something for everyone else - but I don't see how that works for me. e.g. Not one of the things in your list means anything at all to me. Orion worked for me because Rich and I shared a similar vision for what the perfect virtual studio should be. I can't think of a single user request he ever added that I found all that useful. All the good stuff was the stuff he did because he wanted it in there. Now that he's given it up, I have to live with a lot more compromises than I used to.
When was the last time you used Reaper? It's come a long way since version 3 or 4. Let alone the really early days. I think the first version I tried might have been version 1.8 or something and it was barely a DAW. I'm pretty sure it didn't even have MIDI back then.

And trust me, there's lots of stuff that lots of users ask for that Justin and Schwa haven't gotten around to adding yet (better comping, articulation management, improving Windows theming just to name a few). They've got a roadmap/vision, and they're sticking to it. In fact, Justin seems to adhering very closely to his vision in my opinion (tool-less design, actions for everything, customize it yourself). I get that Reaper isn't for everyone. It expects the end-users to do a lot of work in terms of setting it up and customizing it and learning Actions versus just having a bunch of pre-made tools. And that's before you even get into scripting.

That said, I left Studio One for Reaper. Why? Just a matter of having to live with fewer compromises. I can work faster in Reaper. But it took work to get there. Studio One hands you a bunch of features and they're usually built in an intuitive enough way that a lot of users will be willing to deal with limitations to work fast without having to crack open a manual or hunt down a tutorial. That said, there are a few things that were built confoundingly stupidly by Presonus - but they're the exception not the rule. But some people will hit a wall with Studio One. It may be CPU load. It may be the poor MIDI implementation. It may be the dumb little things they didn't steal from Pro Tools or improve from Cubase. Could be the weird bugs on Mac or plugins that just don't want to appear for no good reason.

With Reaper, there's fewer of those limitations. But it will take work. You may have to watch one of Kenny's videos or a ReaperBlog video to figure out how to get the most of a feature. Or hunt down a script to fill a particular gap. Or find the perfect combo of settings. Or maybe there's just no great solution yet. In my own experience, I hit far fewer walls in Reaper compared to S1, but it wasn't easy getting here. And Studio One does things in a tidier, cleaner way overall (click the tool, get the expected result). I totally get why someone who just wants to get work done quickly and benefit from some compositional tools would prefer S1 over Reaper. But in the long-run, Reaper may be the better option. Just with a way slower ramp-up period.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 am
BONES wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:23 am I'm not sure how long you've been around but I remember when it was released and in the first few years he just added anything and everything people asked for and pretty much nothing else. That's what I mean by no vision of his own. Maybe that was his vision - to make something for everyone else - but I don't see how that works for me. e.g. Not one of the things in your list means anything at all to me. Orion worked for me because Rich and I shared a similar vision for what the perfect virtual studio should be. I can't think of a single user request he ever added that I found all that useful. All the good stuff was the stuff he did because he wanted it in there. Now that he's given it up, I have to live with a lot more compromises than I used to.
When was the last time you used Reaper? It's come a long way since version 3 or 4. Let alone the really early days. I think the first version I tried might have been version 1.8 or something and it was barely a DAW. I'm pretty sure it didn't even have MIDI back then.

And trust me, there's lots of stuff that lots of users ask for that Justin and Schwa haven't gotten around to adding yet (better comping, articulation management, improving Windows theming just to name a few). They've got a roadmap/vision, and they're sticking to it. In fact, Justin seems to adhering very closely to his vision in my opinion (tool-less design, actions for everything, customize it yourself). I get that Reaper isn't for everyone. It expects the end-users to do a lot of work in terms of setting it up and customizing it and learning Actions versus just having a bunch of pre-made tools. And that's before you even get into scripting.

That said, I left Studio One for Reaper. Why? Just a matter of having to live with fewer compromises. I can work faster in Reaper. But it took work to get there. Studio One hands you a bunch of features and they're usually built in an intuitive enough way that a lot of users will be willing to deal with limitations to work fast without having to crack open a manual or hunt down a tutorial. That said, there are a few things that were built confoundingly stupidly by Presonus - but they're the exception not the rule. But some people will hit a wall with Studio One. It may be CPU load. It may be the poor MIDI implementation. It may be the dumb little things they didn't steal from Pro Tools or improve from Cubase. Could be the weird bugs on Mac or plugins that just don't want to appear for no good reason.

With Reaper, there's fewer of those limitations. But it will take work. You may have to watch one of Kenny's videos or a ReaperBlog video to figure out how to get the most of a feature. Or hunt down a script to fill a particular gap. Or find the perfect combo of settings. Or maybe there's just no great solution yet. In my own experience, I hit far fewer walls in Reaper compared to S1, but it wasn't easy getting here. And Studio One does things in a tidier, cleaner way overall (click the tool, get the expected result).
The design -less Reaper development has not been taken far enough I think. At the moment Reaper is a grab bag of processes that is only vaguely coherent. If Cockos opened Reaper up further so that people with stronger musical and design skills could completely rebuild the apearance and workflow using Reaper as the backend I think some great work would result. Cockos are fabulous coders no mistake

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:24 am The design -less Reaper development has not been taken far enough I think. At the moment Reaper is a grab bag of processes that is only vaguely coherent. If Cockos opened Reaper up further so that people with stronger musical and design skills could completely rebuild the apearance and workflow using Reaper as the backend I think some great work would result. Cockos are fabulous coders no mistake
Sure. If Reaper were the back-end for something like Studio One, you may have the perfect DAW. Reaper's performance, openness, and flexibility with actions with Studio One's ease of use and compositional tools. But it's a pipe dream unfortunately. :party:

My perfect host would be one with a whole lot of stuff removed, not two lots of stuff added together.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 amThey've got a roadmap/vision, and they're sticking to it. In fact, Justin seems to adhering very closely to his vision in my opinion (tool-less design, actions for everything, customize it yourself).
Well, maybe he learned a lesson but it's too late for me, I really don't care. We've changed hosts twice in the last 2 or 3 years, I am not interested in changing again, unless someone came out with something no-one else was doing - a host with LESS features. My favourite developer would be one who removed bloat, rather than keep adding stuff. What I really want is just the basics, implemented well, like Orion was. I don't need tool-less design or actions for everything and I absolutely don't want to have to f**k around customising it just so I can use it.
I can work faster in Reaper.
You mention this several times. Why is speed important? I am mostly interested in simplicity - the fewest number of steps, maintaining the purity of the process, which I probably characterise as "fast" sometimes, but speed is not what I am after. Given that it takes me at least 6 months of tweaking (with a bit of twerking, of course) to finish a song, I don't see any need at all for speed.
But it took work to get there. Studio One hands you a bunch of features and they're usually built in an intuitive enough way that a lot of users will be willing to deal with limitations
What "limitations"? This isn't rocket science, you know, it's a pretty simple process. People used to do it with nothing more than a few instruments and mics, plus a tape machine. I think the sorts of limitations you see are those you create for yourself. I see none at all in Studio One. Quite the opposite, I doubt I use more than 10% of what it has to offer. The greatest limitation is me, by far.
Could be the weird bugs on Mac or plugins that just don't want to appear for no good reason.
Ah, but there was a good reason and, for all anyone knows, they wouldn't have shown up in any other host, either. It felt much more like an OS problem than a Studio One problem to me. Probably a missing .net framework installation or something of that nature.
With Reaper, there's fewer of those limitations. But it will take work.
That, in itself, is a deal-breaking limitation for me. And it is actually something Presonus does really well, presenting little helper videos and tutorials on the Start page that you can watch in a minute or two and learn from, without having to work for that knowledge.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Reaper is a fine DAW maybe for recording but for editing midi it is a nightmare for those who comes from Cubase like DAWs!

It's not impossible to work with it, but it's a torture for my mind and fingers. Yes, I can change everything and customize it, but rather to change the whole DAW then :hihi: I mean maybe it's only me, but every single guess is wrong and it keeps about 3 in a raw, while in other DAWs editing and moving around are mostly first or 2nd guess.

But if there are only two DAWs, Reaper and FL Studio, I would choose Reaper :) So not all my post is negative, right? :D

Reaper is like chewing into an old apple with a worm inside, whilst Studio One is a little bruised but otherwise a fresh apple.

There's a few things Studio One is still to acquire, but it's still a comprehensive DAW to get things done quickly and efficiently on all fronts that are important for a DAW.

Using Reaper is like living in this weird world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4XiKChyK7A
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:23 am
simmo75 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 amIt’s not just a glitch, that wouldn’t bother me either. It’s a massive pop, the only way to get audio back is to restart SO5. I don’t have the time to constantly restart every 2 mins.
Yeah, that sounds really annoying.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:04 amIf you mean by 'no vision'
-low footprint
-completely themeable
Etc... then yeah ...
I'm not sure how long you've been around but I remember when it was released and in the first few years he just added anything and everything people asked for and pretty much nothing else. That's what I mean by no vision of his own. Maybe that was his vision - to make something for everyone else - but I don't see how that works for me. e.g. Not one of the things in your list means anything at all to me. Orion worked for me because Rich and I shared a similar vision for what the perfect virtual studio should be. I can't think of a single user request he ever added that I found all that useful. All the good stuff was the stuff he did because he wanted it in there. Now that he's given it up, I have to live with a lot more compromises than I used to.
His last ' no vision ' project made the dude a bloody millionaire
How do you know he had no vision for that, either? Clearly you don't, just put zero thought into your response.
I never said he had no vision , you did .
The ' no vision ' in my response was used ironically .
If a dude cashes in millions of dollars he must have been doing something right .
Set goal -->achieve goal = vision accomplished .
Got it. ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”