Famous but bad guitars and less famous but good guitars

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you had to choose between the two, which would you choose?

Having had, I think, 3 really shitty Gibsons vs 1 good one (hich I'm selling anyway) vs a Stanford Crossroads Thinline 35 that very few people have ever heard of, I'll take my Stanford all day long, 24/7.
“You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire.
Once the flame begin to catch, the wind will blow it higher.”
--Peter Gabriel

the closest i come to having a "famous guitar" is the $500 Gretsch Streamliner. i don't own any "famous" guitars, and i'm not planning to. i pick my guitars for features, playability, and looks (in that order), not brand.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Personally I am mostly drawn towards relatively unknown and inxepensive guitars from (often famous) makers who really know their thing....
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Then again, you'll have to pry my Martins out of my cold, dead, hands.
--Peter Gabriel

Not sure I quite understand. I'd gladly get rid of my MM stingray and just keep my Sire :) The stingray was way too expensive, way to particular and doesn't track as well.

I would rather have a good guitar than a famous one, but my favourites are Strats which are both good and famous. I used to own a pink paisley Strat that cost me £400 at the time but I have also had a Tempest that my brother sold me, similar to the one here and despite it being really heavy, it was a really good guitar.

i quit guitar a long time ago but i always liked the sound of the famous orange les paul guitar that jimmy page and slash played live.

that guitar really is famous and how can it be bad if jimmy page and a lot of other famous guitar players preferred it for a long time?

are there even any famous guitars that are bad? it's not like famous guitar players say "i'm gonna make this bad guitar famous"?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 pm are there even any famous guitars that are bad? it's not like famous guitar players say "i'm gonna make this bad guitar famous"?
some just don't care. Kurt Cobain was known to play shit guitars. i mean, the guitars he played weren't meant to be shit, but because they were cheap and he didn't care much for them, that's what he used. ironically, "Cobain signature" Jag now retails for like $1400 i think?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Page had an endorsement arrangement to mostly use LPs on stage. He didn't always. Put that same guitar in my hands and it will sound like me. A Strat doesn't instantly sound like the Venturas or Hendrix.
--Peter Gabriel

Erisian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:30 pm I would rather have a good guitar than a famous one, but my favourites are Strats which are both good and famous. I used to own a pink paisley Strat that cost me £400 at the time but I have also had a Tempest that my brother sold me, similar to the one here and despite it being really heavy, it was a really good guitar.

A friend of mine had something that looked similar in the early 80s. It was a Vantage, and probably worth more now than what he paid for it. Made at the Terada plant in Japan.
--Peter Gabriel

Burillo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:53 pm
harryupbabble wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 pm are there even any famous guitars that are bad? it's not like famous guitar players say "i'm gonna make this bad guitar famous"?
some just don't care. Kurt Cobain was known to play shit guitars. i mean, the guitars he played weren't meant to be shit, but because they were cheap and he didn't care much for them, that's what he used. ironically, "Cobain signature" Jag now retails for like $1400 i think?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds

Probably made in Korea? Mexico? Anyways, it's way too overpriced. And that advertising! :lol:

hitherepeople wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:11 pm Probably made in Korea? Mexico? Anyways, it's way too overpriced. And that advertising! :lol:
i don't think country of origin makes a lick of difference to the quality of the guitar.

It would be too political to comment further, but I stand by my stance that it's WAY too expensive. Probably should be more in the 700/800 range.

I have had Gibson's, Fenders, Godin, Tacoma. Alembic, Music Man, Martin Epiphone and Yamaha.
My favorite is an old Electra Phoenix made in japan. Materials are great. Fit and finish ate top notch.

Many bad Gibson's.
All Yamaha products are wonderful values.
I like Strats but would never pay more than $500 for any of them.
The Martin D62 acoustic is a master peice.

It's not about name but.....a certain level of quality costs money.

I personally don't care.....a good guitar is a good guitar. It has taken me nearly 40 years to judge properly.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Guitars”