Famous but bad guitars and less famous but good guitars

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 pm Having had, I think, 3 really shitty Gibsons vs 1 good one (hich I'm selling anyway) vs a Stanford Crossroads Thinline 35 that very few people have ever heard of, I'll take my Stanford all day long, 24/7.
So what was shitty about the 2 Gibsons and was it a particular model?
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

Burillo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:13 pm i pick my guitars for features, playability, and looks (in that order), not brand.
That'a the sensible thing to do.

When I bought my 87 G&L Skyhawk secondhand they were cheap and had no market presence at all but it it is a very nice guitar. I've not had a "bad" guitar that was good or a "good" guitar that was bad but when I started in the early 70s it was certainly possible to get terrible electric guitars for a middling price - European and Japanese guitars could be truly awful in sound and playability. Wasn't long before the Japanese made really nice guitars, the European manufacturers dropped away.

they all sound crap when I play them

Burillo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:31 pm
hitherepeople wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:11 pm Probably made in Korea? Mexico? Anyways, it's way too overpriced. And that advertising! :lol:
i don't think country of origin makes a lick of difference to the quality of the guitar.
I'm not sure about that I would rather have a U.S made Fender Strat, than a Mexican made Fender Strat because it is superior in sound quality. Although The Mexican strat is by far better value for money I think and as I'm not made of money I would be happy with the Mexican Strat,

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 pm I have had Gibson's, Fenders, Godin, Tacoma. Alembic, Music Man, Martin Epiphone and Yamaha.
My favorite is an old Electra Phoenix made in japan. Materials are great. Fit and finish ate top notch.

Many bad Gibson's.
All Yamaha products are wonderful values.
I like Strats but would never pay more than $500 for any of them.
The Martin D62 acoustic is a master peice.

It's not about name but.....a certain level of quality costs money.

I personally don't care.....a good guitar is a good guitar. It has taken me nearly 40 years to judge properly.
What about an Epiphone Masterbilt, have you tried one out?

AnX wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm they all sound crap when I play them
Have you considered Guitar Lessons?

Dave Smith of the Eurythmics used a Dobro resonator in a video clip, because it's shiny.
No way that's tgmhe guitar you hear on the record.

That's the way to do it. Big name to show off in vanity, anonymous quality for the sound ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:07 pm
Bombadil wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 pm Having had, I think, 3 really shitty Gibsons vs 1 good one (hich I'm selling anyway) vs a Stanford Crossroads Thinline 35 that very few people have ever heard of, I'll take my Stanford all day long, 24/7.
3 shitty, one what you'd expect. So, 4 altogether. 1 SG that wouldn't stay in tune, regardless of whatever usual measures you take; An LP did the same, another had buzzing all over the fretboard, even after a fret dress; and then even after a re-fret. My luthier friend called it a 'Monday Guitar.'
The 4th is an SG Classic that I'm selling because I don't play it anymore. It's a great guitar, but not my thing at this point of my life to have guitars hanging around that I don't play. Hope I don't regret it.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:28 pm
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 pm I have had Gibson's, Fenders, Godin, Tacoma. Alembic, Music Man, Martin Epiphone and Yamaha.
My favorite is an old Electra Phoenix made in japan. Materials are great. Fit and finish ate top notch.

Many bad Gibson's.

I personally don't care.....a good guitar is a good guitar. It has taken me nearly 40 years to judge properly.
I was underwhelmed by the Masterbilts I've played. The dreads lacked OoomPH. Nice sound, and a couple of J-45 copies were good, but no better or worse for anything else in its price range.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Then again, I've played worse Gibson acoustics, lawdy, like they'd had blankets stuffed in them. Horrible, dead things.
-Henry A. Wallace

hitherepeople wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:11 pm Probably made in Korea? Mexico? Anyways, it's way too overpriced. And that advertising! :lol:
i don't think country of origin makes a lick of difference to the quality of the guitar.
Possibly not - but it certainly should make a difference on the price, which is what he was referring to, I think...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:54 pm
Henry Jimdrix wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:07 pm
3 shitty, one what you'd expect. So, 4 altogether. 1 SG that wouldn't stay in tune, regardless of whatever usual measures you take; An LP did the same, another had buzzing all over the fretboard, even after a fret dress; and then even after a re-fret. My luthier friend called it a 'Monday Guitar.'
The 4th is an SG Classic that I'm selling because I don't play it anymore. It's a great guitar, but not my thing at this point of my life to have guitars hanging around that I don't play. Hope I don't regret it.
That reminds me: a friend of mine had a Gibson LP (and not the cheapest series either) that fell down (from being leaned on a chair or sitting in its stand, can't remember) on laminate flooring and its neck broke. The fixing cost him way more than I paid for any of my guitars. That's some absurd stuff right there. (And when he whined about it I of course asked him why the hell he paid so much for a guitar in the first place and needless to say he didn't really have an answer to that)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:08 pm
Possibly not - but it certainly should make a difference on the price, which is what he was referring to, I think...
I was, I explained it in a PM :)

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:28 pm

Many bad Gibson's.

I had a usa Epiphone Sheraton that was really nice. It had some fit and finish issues but played and sounded nice. I got it on sale new for $1000.00 normally $3000.00 can't really say it was worth either.
I would really like to try the newer Epi imports.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Guitars”