Modal Electronics Cobalt8

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Honestly, these synths sound like a digital toy, they need to tweak the sound so it will be fat and less digital.
Because the interface is excellent, but not the sound.

Why do all synth sounds have to be fat and analogue? What’s wrong with thin and digital sounds?

I have no issue with the sound so far.
I have to record it yet, but I believe it’ll sit well in the mix - which is what matters to me, I’m not doing solo synth music.

ffr
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ive had the Argon 8 since it came out, play it all the time…love the keys sounds and arps, solid build too. Ill likely buy the cobalt too when I do a rearrange and free up some space. I think modal did a great job with these synths…put it this way I bought it with a hydrasynth, that remains pretty much untouched in comparison, and it took the deskspace from a karp oddy, which now sits against the wall.

I just found a strange behaviour of Cobalt8:
Spread Saw algorithm, right after the B2 parameter is turned above 0, it's dropping about 4-5dB of volume.
It makes it super unusable while mixing between two oscillators (different algorithms) or even when playing live and tweaking B2 from 0 to 1 or above.

I wrote about this bug on the Cobalt8 group on FB, and the admin (who is a hardcore Cobalt8 defender) blocked me :lol: Apparently, because I was trolling there and on other groups which I've never joined :nutter: This is another level of not being able to take criticism of a favourite synth :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”