Audiorealism ABL3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AudioRealism Bass Line 3 (ABL3)

Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 pmNow, if you *really* want shuffle on the main gui, feel free to suggest a placement for the knob and we might be able to add that in..
Super quick and sloppy mockup....
ABL3 QUICK MOCKUP.png
I bet you could even fit a Type 1/2 toggle under the distortion knobs.

Note: "CUTOFF" is one word there and not "CUT OFF" like on the current GUI. Once you see that, you can't unsee it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

O.K . so I really need some clarifiaction from the menus
Abl2 = old abl2 emu
ABl3 (model 2) is abl3 prior to the 3.2.2 release , when improved emulation is selected , model 2 = 3.2.2
ABL3 ( model 3 ) is totally new
Correct ?
The issue I am having is when ABL 3 (model 2 ) is selected and improved emu is turned on , it sounds verry muffled compared to 3.2.2
Sadly I can not run both ABL.dll instances to compare
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm O.K . so I really need some clarifiaction from the menus
Abl2 = old abl2 emu
ABl3 (model 2) is abl3 prior to the 3.2.2 release , when improved emulation is selected , model 2 = 3.2.2
Correct ?
The issue I am having is when ABL 3 (model 2 ) is selected and improved emu is turned on , it sounds verry muffled compared to 3.2.2
The manual explains them as:
VCO Mode ­ This selects the VCO model to be used.
○ Model 1 is a clean sounding model which sounds more similar to certain TB­303
clones rather than a real TB­303.
○ Model 2 is the default setting for ABL3 and is the most authentic model which
includes a bit of grit and dirt to match the real TB­303 as closely as possible.
○ Model 3 is similar to Model 2 though slightly less dirty and less bottom end.

Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 pm Now, if you *really* want shuffle on the main gui, feel free to suggest a placement for the knob and we might be able to add that in..
Added in Distortion switch...
ABL3 QUICK MOCKUP.png
...without the screw, it would look even better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:57 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm O.K . so I really need some clarifiaction from the menus
Abl2 = old abl2 emu
Correct ?
The manual explains them as:
VCO Mode ­ This selects the VCO model to be used.
○ Model 1 is a clean sounding model which sounds more similar to certain TB­303
clones rather than a real TB­303.
○ Model 2 is the default setting for ABL3 and is the most authentic model which
includes a bit of grit and dirt to match the real TB­303 as closely as possible.
○ Model 3 is similar to Model 2 though slightly less dirty and less bottom end.
This doesn't answer my question why the improved switch makes model 2 muffled , this was not the case when abl 3.2.2 was set in improved mode
Obviously the improved emu switch only works in model 2 mode
Eyeball exchanging

Output clipping enabled does not work in abl2 mode
O.k. there is something fishy going on
Apparently I can run both instances at the same time , but none of the models in the new version sound like 3.2.2 ( when inproved switch is enabled on 3.2.2)
The new model sounds way louder , so does the accent ( new feature treble is set to zero )
I am glad to be proven wrong , but it is not 100 % backwards compatible
Here's a comparison
Abl 3.2.2 plays to 4 bars ( improved emulation switch is on ) , then abl 3.3.3 plays ( emu mode 2 , improved emu switch is also on , notice how muffled it sounds
All identical settings .
The only explanation I have is the treble switch
https://app.box.com/s/z9db7is3cqddowdvb6a4gw9awwt0do50
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

Some thoughts after playing with it:
- This does not overwrite the previous ABL3 version, instead it is a new plugin called ABL3x, not a minor version. You have to keep the old ABL3 version for the projects that use that version. :(
- Emulation engine selection should be in the setup panel also.
- 3 engines, each with 3 VCO settings and each has the "improve emu..." on or off option available. Does "improve emu..." work in every variation? In some setting I can't hear a difference. Confusing.
- Confusing skins. Two old ones without the distortion knobs. Once you select one of the older skins, they disappear from the Skins menu. Bug?
- Skin creator has an updated "ABL3-SilverBox-1", why not include that one, instead of the old "ABL3-SilverBox" one?
- Useless ugly side panels still there.
- It sounds good! :)

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:29 pm Output clipping enabled does not work in abl2 mode
Hi, yes that is correct - not all features are available with all Models.
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

anoise wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:35 pm Some thoughts after playing with it:
- This does not overwrite the previous ABL3 version, instead it is a new plugin called ABL3x, not a minor version. You have to keep the old ABL3 version for the projects that use that version. :(
Thanks for your feedback!

That is per design. This is 64-bit only. If we overwrote users 32-bit installations you can imagine the :(( we would get for that. Or the amount of confusion if it only updated the 64-bit version but not the 32-bit. That's just the reality of updating a 5+ year old plug-in unfortunately.
- Emulation engine selection should be in the setup panel also.
We thought about that. It just didn't make the release. Which was much needed because of Big Sur issues.
- 3 engines, each with 3 VCO settings and each has the "improve emu..." on or off option available. Does "improve emu..." work in every variation? In some setting I can't hear a difference. Confusing.
Improve emu activates the Bass / Treble circuit and some other things (depends on the engine used). WE should have come up with a better name for it, but this is what it was called in the old version, and it does similar things.
- Confusing skins. Two old ones without the distortion knobs. Once you select one of the older skins, they disappear from the Skins menu. Bug?
They should not disappear from the menu, that may very well be a bug. Yes, the old skins lack the widgets for distortion etc. Updated skins will be coming (thanks to Lars-Erik).
- Skin creator has an updated "ABL3-SilverBox-1", why not include that one, instead of the old "ABL3-SilverBox" one?
Why? That's actually kind of a big question. It's actually a bit of a hassle to release software these days because everything we developers do need to be scanned by a third party (in this case Apple) to ensure that nothing maleficent is going on with the binaries or installer. Each one of those scanning processes takes time and there is a lot of room for error. Changing a file or two in an installation can push a release back a few days. Since ABL3.2.2 wasn't performing well on Big Sur and we were losing sales due to that we had to push the update now even though Lars-Erik kindly updated the skin. During the time that the installer is scanned and validated of course minor issues will come in, which means that if we were to fix them it would push the release even more back. Since there is no way to fix all the minor issues and get a perfect package out there we release when the product doesn't crash and performs all the promised functions.. hope that makes sense. Now that it's out we can get to work on the minor issues while people actually can use the plug-in hopefully.
- Useless ugly side panels still there.
Hey if we removed everything useless from the world it would be a boring place.
- It sounds good! :)
Thank you :)
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:29 pm Output clipping enabled does not work in abl2 mode
Apparently I can run both instances at the same time , but none of the models in the new version sound like 3.2.2 ( when inproved switch is enabled on 3.2.2)
The new model sounds way louder , so does the accent ( new feature treble is set to zero )
Here's a comparison
Abl 3.2.2 plays to 4 bars ( improved emulation switch is on ) , then abl 3.3.3 plays ( emu mode 2 , improved emu switch is also on , notice how muffled it sounds
All identical settings .
And which emulation model are you using in 3.3.0?
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:13 pm
Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 pm Now, if you *really* want shuffle on the main gui, feel free to suggest a placement for the knob and we might be able to add that in..
Added in Distortion switch...

ABL3 QUICK MOCKUP.png

...without the screw, it would look even better.
Okay, that's actually not a bad idea
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:56 pm Thank you :)
Thanks for the reply and clarification. I was not aware of the validation process and all that is involved. It is clear now. I'm sure the next version will be more polished. :wink:
Regarding the "Improve emu", maybe it should be grayed out/not clickable when it is not in use, in a certain engine/VCO configuration. Same with every knob to reduce confusion.
I was assuming that ABL3.2.2 and ABL3.3.0 engine 2 are the same, as another user above me, but this is false, they don't match, I did some quick checking.
ABL3.3.0 is a different plugin, right? If this is true, than naming it ABL4 would have been more appropriate.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:26 pm ... Any hope for a new version of the sharper Classic skin that includes the drive/distort/hp knobs in the top right for easy access?

I've posted one in the Audiorealism forum: https://www.audiorealism.se/forum.html? ... s-11811349
Classic 3.3.jpg

Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:56 pm
anoise wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:35 pm
.. Once you select one of the older skins, they disappear from the Skins menu. Bug?
They should not disappear from the menu, that may very well be a bug.
That was reported as occasional behaviour during beta. Opening and closing the project sorts it out, but that's a nuisance.

Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:59 pm
Here's a comparison
All identical settings .
And which emulation model are you using in 3.3.0?
As I have explained : emu model 2 with improved emu switch ON
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Instruments”