Audiorealism ABL3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AudioRealism Bass Line 3 (ABL3)

anoise wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:18 pm
Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:56 pm Thank you :)
Thanks for the reply and clarification. I was not aware of the validation process and all that is involved. It is clear now. I'm sure the next version will be more polished. :wink:
Regarding the "Improve emu", maybe it should be grayed out/not clickable when it is not in use, in a certain engine/VCO configuration. Same with every knob to reduce confusion.
I was assuming that ABL3.2.2 and ABL3.3.0 engine 2 are the same, as another user above me, but this is false, they don't match, I did some quick checking.
ABL3.3.0 is a different plugin, right? If this is true, than naming it ABL4 would have been more appropriate.
Exactly !
It's confusing to say the least .
Abl 2 and 3 were two different plugins .
Due to popular request abl2 is now also in 3.3.0, but 3.2.2 is not .(model 2 does not sound like 3.2.2)
So this either a bug or a pretty weird decision .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:03 pm
Thanks for the reply and clarification. I was not aware of the validation process and all that is involved. It is clear now. I'm sure the next version will be more polished. :wink:
Regarding the "Improve emu", maybe it should be grayed out/not clickable when it is not in use, in a certain engine/VCO configuration. Same with every knob to reduce confusion.
I was assuming that ABL3.2.2 and ABL3.3.0 engine 2 are the same, as another user above me, but this is false, they don't match, I did some quick checking.
ABL3.3.0 is a different plugin, right? If this is true, than naming it ABL4 would have been more appropriate.
Exactly !
Due to popular request abl2 is now also in 3.3.0, but 3.2.2 is not .(model 2 does not sound like 3.2.2)
We have updated the engines in every release since 1.0. If that's weird to you then I guess our company is weird, like the Wonka chocolate factory or something. We did have a lot of requests to bring the ABL2 engine back so we did that. We brought distortion back with that. So far the overall response seems to be good with the new engines, with a few confused or critical posts like here on kvr.. But all feedback is valid and good, and I appreciate it..!!

I ran some checks again to see if there was any muffling going on between the versions and I didn't manage to replicate that yet. I will do some more investigating tomorrow..

Edit: read the thread again more closely. model 2 does not try to replicate ABL3.2.2.. And model 3 is not specifically for 3.3.0. I do see how that would be confusing now, it really didn't cross my mind as versions tend to be more a technical thing to enumerate the plug-ins.. Now that I see that, I'm not sure how to fix it. We could add the 3.2.2 engine back under model 2 and perhaps rename that model to something else??
--Mike
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:32 pm
Exactly !
We have updated the engines in every release since 1.0. If that's weird to you then I guess our company is weird, like the Wonka chocolate factory or something. We did have a lot of requests to bring the ABL2 engine back so we did that. We brought distortion back with that. So far the overall response seems to be good with the new engines, with a few confused or critical posts like here on kvr.. But all feedback is valid and good, and I appreciate it..!!

I ran some checks again to see if there was any muffling going on between the versions and I didn't manage to replicate that yet. I will do some more investigating tomorrow..

Edit: read the thread again more closely. model 2 does not try to replicate ABL3.2.2.. And model 3 is not specifically for 3.3.0. I do see how that would be confusing now, it really didn't cross my mind as versions tend to be more a technical thing to enumerate the plug-ins.. Now that I see that, I'm not sure how to fix it. We could add the 3.2.2 engine back under model 2 and perhaps rename that model to something else??
--Mike
No hard feelings , I am just sharing my experiences
Let me summarize , abl 3.2.2 added the following new features :
-vcf trim ,-bass -and higpass , when improved emu was turned off , bass and vcf trim were greyed out = logical .
This is not the case anymore in abl 3.3 , bass knob is always active so it's not clear what the improved emu knob actually does
Also 3.3 in model 2 mode , (improved emu off ) treble knob does nothing , while in model 3 it does ( regardless improved emu switch position )
This are the first points of confussion
Second point of confusion , the 3.2.2 engine is not ported over while the abl 2.0 engine is .
If/when abl 4.0 arrives , the abl 3.2.2 will be ported over except 3.9 ..due to popular demand :lol:
Listen ,Abl is the finest emu out there and I applaud your decades long passion of perfecting it's sound in software ( I even remember your freebee) , but just excluding a fine engine (3.2.2 ) while including a decade old one ( yeah popular demand -distortion bla bla ) just feels like a really strange move .
Abl 2 was still avaibale as a separate plugin , It makes no sense to include it in a superior plugin like abl3 .
As it is now , abl 3.3.0 is like an umbrella project (models come and go )
Just bring back 3.2.2 improved emu mode in 3.3 :tu:
Keep up the good work :tu:
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

Two ideas:
1. Leave 3.3.0 as is but rename it to 4. It's a different plugin after all and not backwards compatible to 3.2.2.
2. Add 3.2.2 engine to 3.3.0, and make the plugin backwards compatible. Don't change the dll name, so older projects with ABL3.2.2 recall correctly with ABL 3.3.0 engine 3.2.2. This would be the best option IMO. This way we will have only 1 ABL3 plugin with all engines.

anoise wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:35 pm Some thoughts after playing with it:
- Confusing skins. Two old ones without the distortion knobs. Once you select one of the older skins, they disappear from the Skins menu. Bug?
- Skin creator has an updated "ABL3-SilverBox-1", why not include that one, instead of the old "ABL3-SilverBox" one?
- Useless ugly side panels still there.
Over and out.

It's been a fun ride but this is where I leave you dear KVR forum. To much greed, hate and delusion for my taste.

Sorry if that offended you. Ugly in the sense that they are necessary because of the fixed aspect ratio of the plugin window. Otherwise they are well rendered and the skins are beautiful! :tu:
I am under the impression that you are not a fan of the side panels either, according to the lack of them in your previews a couple of pages back.

Mike Janney wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:32 pm
Exactly !

Load abl 3.3.0 choose model 2 , set bass and treble to zero , set maximum resonance ,env mod etc
NOw compare with both Improved emu switch OFF and ON
First pattern is improved emu OFF ( lot's of resonance )
https://app.box.com/s/daw10f64pib8i97ebppws1tg3coxknc2
Second example (impswitch is ON , it's pretty muffled
https://app.box.com/s/btbreveybgfwrw8k3s8g9fsgsimhs6lq
We have to set treble to 50% (while improv.emu switch is ON ) to get roughly the same sound as when the switch is off
This means that non improved emu already has a treble boost or something like that .
Eyeball exchanging

LarsErik wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 pm It's been a fun ride but this is where I leave you dear KVR forum. To much greed, hate and delusion for my taste.
Your skins are top notch :tu:
Eyeball exchanging

anoise wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:10 pm Two ideas:
1. Leave 3.3.0 as is but rename it to 4. It's a different plugin after all and not backwards compatible to 3.2.2.
Version 3.3 is a free upgrade. Version 4 will no doubt be a paid upgrade. I'm sure Mike would be grateful for your donation, though. :hihi:

But I would imagine we'll see 3.5 next.

LarsErik wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 pm It's been a fun ride but this is where I leave you dear KVR forum. To much greed, hate and delusion for my taste.
It is a dark and scary place to be sure.

I needed a fifth post. Sorry.

Wibbler wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 pm
What do you mean by this?

LarsErik wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:12 pm
I was agreeing with you.

Wibbler wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 pm
LarsErik wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:12 pm
I was agreeing with you.
:tu:

Return to “Instruments”