2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Might pick up the Waldorf Pulse 2, even though DCO, it's basically different and sounds pretty big sounding. I'll hope for a Pro-3 desktop, but I doubt it will happen.
<List your stupid gear here>

Well, I finally decided to round things out with some more non-sexy items, with Dynamix and Functions modules. I also ordered black plates for Dynamix, Functions, and Maths too.

I've been telling myself it didn't matter, but every time I started on Modulargrid, I would organize by color instead of function.

So after this, I'm officially HP locked up until I expand into another pod or legit case.

Anyone else looking at Erica Synths' Matrix Mixer? I haven't watched videos yet, but reading the feature list and I think this might work well if I can afford the desktop space to make it useful.

That Matrix mixer is cool, though I'm not really considering it as I have too many mixer modules already. If it had 1/4 in i/o Id be more interested actually.

Even without the 1/4" jacks it's still supposed to work well with signal levels and Eurorack. I have lots of adapters already meant to work with BlueBox that should make it pretty functional.

But makes sense to not be interested in, for those with plenty of matrix mixer options. I'm still on my first with CVilization, but I like the idea of freeing CVilization up from those duties.

The Erica Matrix Mixer looks really cool. I really wanted a 4MS Bend Matrix but I didn't have the cash when they were still being made. CVilization ticks most of those boxes for me. I also have an AKAI MB-76 to do that kind of thing with 1/4" I/O.
It would be really cool if there were an inexpensive matrix mixer with balanced I/O. I've considered getting a Little Labs PCP a couple times but you only get an on/off switch for each node and it's still >$1k.

Novation Peak could be a good desktop option. It's a poly... But... Some of the mono sounds I've heard out of this are really great.

Definitely pricey for those! I think they came in at decent price point for the matrix mixer. I need to watch the videos next but as long as I can find a spot, I think this would work nicely for how I’d like to use my gear.

_leras wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:51 pm Novation Peak could be a good desktop option. It's a poly... But... Some of the mono sounds I've heard out of this are really great.
Already have it :tu: It sounds great even with digital oscillators. But, still after real analog but thanks. :clap:

elxsound wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm Well, I finally decided to round things out with some more non-sexy items, with Dynamix and Functions modules. I also ordered black plates for Dynamix, Functions, and Maths too.
Oh, cool for you. Wise choices. Glad you got the panels before they were all gone. :tu:

(assuming you went with grayscale)
elxsound wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm I've been telling myself it didn't matter, but every time I started on Modulargrid, I would organize by color instead of function.
It matters. :wink:
elxsound wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm Anyone else looking at Erica Synths' Matrix Mixer? I haven't watched videos yet, but reading the feature list and I think this might work well if I can afford the desktop space to make it useful.
Looked at it. Watched vids. Interesting, but @$599.00 (?!!) In contrast to much less faffy-fiddly $109, and $219 respectively:
8X8 Buffered Matrix.png
12X12 Buffered Matrix.png
[2c]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:57 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm Well, I finally decided to round things out with some more non-sexy items, with Dynamix and Functions modules. I also ordered black plates for Dynamix, Functions, and Maths too.
Oh, cool for you. Wise choices. Glad you got the panels before they were all gone. :tu:

(assuming you went with grayscale)
elxsound wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm I've been telling myself it didn't matter, but every time I started on Modulargrid, I would organize by color instead of function.
It matters. :wink:
elxsound wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm Anyone else looking at Erica Synths' Matrix Mixer? I haven't watched videos yet, but reading the feature list and I think this might work well if I can afford the desktop space to make it useful.
Looked at it. Watched vids. Interesting, but @$599.00 (?!!) In contrast to much less faffy-fiddly $109, and $219 respectively:

8X8 Buffered Matrix.png

12X12 Buffered Matrix.png

[2c]
Greyscale panels and the Function are all coming from analogue haven (from your earlier links). Dynamix is coming from a wallet friendly used deal, but if that falls through I’ll pick up new from analogue haven.

I only saw recently that they seemed to be getting out of the alternative panel business? That’s too bad, but yeah definitely good enough reason to buy while I can.

Since getting maths and Doepfer LPG I’ve been playing more along with the 0-Coast. It makes a bit more sense now what Functions and Dynamix can do differently. I really like the idea of adding another flavor of saturation with Dynamix. That’s very different from 0-Coast. Plus now I can keep the 0-Coast free for other uses.

For the matrix mixer if I were a performer it’d be even more useful switching patches via midi. I think some of the price reflects those capabilities. I doubt I’d use the midi recall functions but I love that you can save patches.
Navigation looks like the only pain as it reminds me of using an etch-a-sketch. I really thought the grid was full of buttons, but reading the manual I see that’s not the case.

egbert101 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 pm Might pick up the Waldorf Pulse 2, even though DCO, it's basically different and sounds pretty big sounding. I'll hope for a Pro-3 desktop, but I doubt it will happen.
It's great. It sounds huge. It sounds great through distortion, as well.

SE-02 doesn't sound as massive but it has crossmod for Jupiter-6 sounds.

egbert101 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:53 pm
What about Roland SE-02?
3 Osc, Oscillator sync and PWM + presets :)
Kinda what I'm looking for but wanted more options, but this might be worth it considering the presets. Overlooked this several times, but I'll check it out for sure. :tu:
Dreadbox Typhon is a pretty interesting analog mono synth and comes with an excellent effects DSP with effects designed by Sinevibes
https://youtu.be/SBHwzNZxPeU

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I finally crackled and ordered an UNO PRO Desktop- £340 (UK) on Amazon at the moment next day delivery. :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:18 am Dreadbox Typhon is a pretty interesting analog mono synth and comes with an excellent effects DSP with effects designed by Sinevibes
https://youtu.be/SBHwzNZxPeU
Interesting option. Thanks. :tu:

Hah! I've found an interesting and surprising alternative to the MatrixBrute in desktop form. It's the hydrasynth after the 1.5 update. Yes, it is digital oscillators and digital filters but I can live with that, as the new update adds Steiner parker filters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k7Pzn9okSQ

So in MatrixBrute territor for half the price and in the form factor I enjoy most. :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”