Phuturetone GR-8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

Much as I love the sounds I'm getting from the GR-8, I've run into a major problem in saving user-made presets. Once I save the project in Logic 10.6.3 on intel i7 MacBookPro, OS Big Sur 11.4, close it, and then open it up again, none of the user presets I've created automatically reappear on the tracks where I left them. They don't play back--there's just silence. I find I have to choose some other preset first, then switch it to my user preset in each track. Then I'm fine. I'm using the revised version of GR-8.

tickytock wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:01 am Much as I love the sounds I'm getting from the GR-8, I've run into a major problem in saving user-made presets. Once I save the project in Logic 10.6.3 on intel i7 MacBookPro, OS Big Sur 11.4, close it, and then open it up again, none of the user presets I've created automatically reappear on the tracks where I left them. They don't play back--there's just silence. I find I have to choose some other preset first, then switch it to my user preset in each track. Then I'm fine. I'm using the revised version of GR-8.
Thank you for reporting – I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

I don't have LogicX, so I've tried reproducing the bug in GarageBand. I had a similar problem just on one track and it was random. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. What differed that track from others is that it has just one note from start to end of the playback loop. I don't think it's the presets problem, think the plugin is not picking the first MIDI note ON signal because it lands exactly on the start of the song (or maybe track). If I slide that track a bit to the right and play it, the sound is back on.

Do the silent tracks in your project also have a sustained note at the song start?
Does moving tracks 1/16 to the right help as in my case?

Thanks,
Sasha

nvm
Last edited by nordickvr on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

@tickytock
I think that the silent unit may be related to the recently updated phaser module. Do the silent units all have the Phaser effect active?

Yup, it's the phaser, I haven't implemented the on/off switch correctly. An update coming later today. Thank you!

Hi All,

Here's the latest update, 1.0.7:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

Fixed silent presets caused by the Phaser module.

@nordikvr, does the plugin now shows the correct version? It does show it in finder, but don't know about Logic X.

Thank you all!

Hi, Phuturetone -

Thanks for your fast response! Sorry I didn't respond earlier--am on the U.S. West Coast.
I checked all my user presets, and sure enough, all the ones not working used the phaser.
But two user presets did work, and both used all the effects, including phaser. Both were "stab"-style ones.

I'll download your update and get back to you on how it works.

Hi, Phuturetone -
I installed your update, and I'm very happy to report everything works great! All the user presets came right up automatically when I opened my project in Logic and sounded just like I remembered. Thank you! And congratulations on an excellent synth!

Must check this out!

tickytock wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:02 pm Hi, Phuturetone -
I installed your update, and I'm very happy to report everything works great! All the user presets came right up automatically when I opened my project in Logic and sounded just like I remembered. Thank you! And congratulations on an excellent synth!
Awesome, thank you!

Phuturetone wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:13 pm ...
@nordikvr, does the plugin now shows the correct version? It does show it in finder, but don't know about Logic X.
Thanks for the update.
re: version #
It still doesn't appear in Logic X + Gig Performer.
That said, it could just be shown somewhere in the UI?
No biggies anyway, but I wonder if Logic and Gig Performer will know it was updated...
Also, it seems that the installer doesn't overwrite the previous version.
I had to first erase it, then run the installer.

nordickvr wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 am re: version #
It still doesn't appear in Logic X + Gig Performer.
That said, it could just be shown somewhere in the UI?
No biggies anyway, but I wonder if Logic and Gig Performer will know it was updated...
Also, it seems that the installer doesn't overwrite the previous version.
I had to first erase it, then run the installer.
Thanks for the feedback!

I've asked the creator of SynthEdit to add the version number field to the export screen. Also, got advice from a friend on how can I manually change it, but he says it will still be ignored by Logic X. Writing a version number on the UI looks like the best option.

Any DAW will recognize it as the same plugin because of the same plugin ID number.

Regarding overwrite, it may be due to me messing with the Info.plist file to change the version number. Don't really know, I'm not a tech guy (graphic designer), still have to learn a lot about plugin development.

Cheers!

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your support! I appreciate your help with reporting bugs, testing, ideas for improvements, promotion and music created using the plugin.

Now that the voting is over, and the plugin development can continue. The things I'll try to implement are:
  • Velocity to filter and amplitude.
  • Oversampling as an option.
  • Preset randomization.
  • Browser improvements.
  • Custom delay/reverb code in the hope to reduce CPU consumption even more.

The larger GUI option is something that I may try, but not sure if I can pull it off without breaking the controls' memory / preset system.

Please let me know if I forgot something, or you have some new suggestions.

Thanks,
Sasha

:tu:

That all sounds good. Congratulations on your second place! It is well deserved.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”