Moan - THAT Slate email

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That mail made me speechless, I still have hope that it's just a april fools' joke.

I imagine this argument will continue to go on for years to come but more companies seem to be moving to subs, not less (look at Izotope’s recent move). Now, this does offer a market opportunity for new developers to come in and take a different business model approach to pick up anti-sub customers, but I’m not sure users continuing to complain is really going to shift the tide (same with iLok). Slate isn’t dumb - and his business is clearly doing well for him (he just sold his house for $5m and bought an even nicer house). It’s not like he robbed a bank - he has a large amount of users that are willing to pay the sub price as long as he provides enough value, which is on him to do. I cancelled my subscription because I prefer to buy individual plugins (still have some I bought 10 years ago that work great), but the quality was there (though he doesn’t release enough each year IMO). And that sub revenue allowed his company to expand into areas like mic and speaker modeling, which ultimately provides new options for all of us (and pushes other developers that we may like better to explore those areas too).

So IMO complain about the marketing tactic (though it works for him) but you’re wasting your breath complaining about subs. They aren’t going away. Don’t like them? Don’t buy into them. But understand the business behind it and what that revenue can ultimately mean for end users.

5Lives wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:49 am It’s not like he robbed a bank

So IMO complain about the marketing tactic (though it works for him) but you’re wasting your breath complaining about subs. They aren’t going away. Don’t like them? Don’t buy into them. But understand the business behind it and what that revenue can ultimately mean for end users.
Its funny how in capitalism some forms of robbery are extremely frowned upon (robbing a bank) while manipulating people into giving you money or tax ~evasion~ are just being “money smart”

What that revenue means for end users is slate having a bigger house. Kudos.
I wish he robbed a bank instead - imo its less questionable ethically

gaggle of hermits wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:37 pm i'm sorry, what is your job? i'm new here, as you've pointed out. what did I miss?

i did post in this thread right at the beginning. so i'm not sure why i'm supposed to now butt out of it.
Hey new guy, Hink is a moderator. Part of his job is to keep things somewhat civil around here. It is a difficult and somewhat thankless job, and is bound to really piss people off at times.

Ploki wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:15 am
5Lives wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:49 am It’s not like he robbed a bank

Its funny how in capitalism some forms of robbery are extremely frowned upon (robbing a bank) while manipulating people into giving you money or tax ~evasion~ are just being “money smart”

What that revenue means for end users is slate having a bigger house. Kudos.
I wish he robbed a bank instead - imo its less questionable ethically
How did he manipulate people? End users got ML-1/2 and VSX because the company was able to spend resources developing it.

You just seem bitter at people’s success for some reason.

Thanks for literally proving my point

5Lives wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:49 am Don’t like them? Don’t buy into them.
I don't like them and I won't buy into them. But if other people buy into them that incentivizes developers to adopt, maintain, or expand the subscription model.

I just don't want to wake up one day and find the only way to get new plugins will be to rent them.

Consumers drive the market and we have a great deal of power if we simply present a united front but of course that's not going to happen so...it is what it is... :?

If people are content with the fact that the moment they stop paying the rental fees they will lose the software they've paid for then there's nothing left to say..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sub = under, below, less than normal, secondary, less than fully
scribe = someone employed to make written copies of documents and manuscripts, informal terms for journalists, a sharp-pointed awl for marking wood or metal to be cut, score a line on with a pointed instrument, make small marks into the surface of.

Waaht? :?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Ploki wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:34 pm Thanks for literally proving my point

Lol and you just proved mine.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm
I don't like them and I won't buy into them. But if other people buy into them that incentivizes developers to adopt, maintain, or expand the subscription model.

I just don't want to wake up one day and find the only way to get new plugins will be to rent them.

Consumers drive the market and we have a great deal of power if we simply present a united front but of course that's not going to happen so...it is what it is... :?

If people are content with the fact that the moment they stop paying the rental fees they will lose the software they've paid for then there's nothing left to say..... :shrug:
Here's a crazy thought - not everybody thinks the same way as you. Crazy, I know, but stay with me. There's this possibility that people that are buying the subscription are not being mind-controlled by a chip Bill Gates implanted in their head and are actually exerting free will and choosing to pay for the subscription model. Like I don't pay for the Slate subscription...but I could and it wouldn't be because I have a gun to my head. Crazy, right? Unfathomable even. Now I'm going to go watch Netflix.

whoa, whoa, whoa.

You mean Steven doesn't show up to everyone's door once a month with a loaded handgun? Why am I so special?

5Lives wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:20 am Here's a crazy thought - not everybody thinks
Fixed it

nathanj wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 am whoa, whoa, whoa.

You mean Steven doesn't show up to everyone's door once a month with a loaded handgun? Why am I so special?
Oh, that's who it is? Thought it was Henry Rollins. Told him to f**k off.

5Lives wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:20 am
Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm

Here's a crazy thought - not everybody thinks the same way as you. Crazy, I know, but stay with me. There's this possibility that people that are buying the subscription are not being mind-controlled by a chip Bill Gates implanted in their head and are actually exerting free will and choosing to pay for the subscription model. Like I don't pay for the Slate subscription...but I could and it wouldn't be because I have a gun to my head. Crazy, right? Unfathomable even. Now I'm going to go watch Netflix.
Well here's a crazy thought. Maybe you have missed his point? Maybe those who would prefer or need a one off payment model will find themselves unable to do so because all the developers will switch to a subscription model; kind of like having a gun put to their heads by those who support a subscription model. Maybe there is an ethic involved here that needs to be considered? Maybe the majority shouldn't always have their way?

The good thing is that there are plenty of great plugins available that come without all of the marketing BS and the added drama...

Klanghelm,Toneboosters and Valhalla would be a good starting point and you would cover a whole lot of ground with just those plugins...

Solid,reliable tools with non invasive copy protection and a non invasive attitude...

Add in a few extra plugins for taste and it would be game over...

The companies could keep their tacky marketing and their subscription plans all to themselves :tu:
No auto tune...

Return to “Effects”