Aether or B2, why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aether or B2

It's currently $75 crossgrade to each if you own Breeze.

These are quite old, older than Breeze. People who own it which would you choose and why?

I sold them all because they didn’t update them for too long and it didnt work reliably on latest macs.

But aether for rooms and real spaces, B2 for out of mind huge halls and creative stuff.

Also B2 is much more CPU hungry.

I think they’re exceptional but unfortunately dev is asleep.

B2 all the way - because it is a lot more flexible. It's a semi-modular monster.

And I disagree with it being very CPU-hungry. It totally depends. Since it is - as I just mentioned - semi-modular, you can make it eat up quite a few cycles, but it can also be very light on the CPU - and still sound great. The CPU consuption can vary drastically, depending on the modules used for any given patch.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

True, but I couldnt ever make Aether bring my cpu to its knees as hard as B2.

I really wish they were updated. Great reverbs.

Sure, because you couldn't ever make it do what B2 can do. ;-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Btw: I could be wrong, but I am sure B2 will be the first to receive an update and it wil be huge and it will certainly include the GUI options PBJ has and also will make it part of their eco-system - and going by their current silence that's been prevalent for a while, I bet it'll come out pretty soonish. I could of course be totally wrong, but I doubt it. B2 is their product which is closest to Breeze - by a mile - and since I am sure that both share a good amount of code it would just make so much sense.

B2 is really a bit simpler to use I think. It sounds really great for large spaces as others have said. Super smooth.

Aether, I love that reverb. That and Valhalla Room just fit pretty much everything I need.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

jens wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:22 pm Btw: I could be wrong, but I am sure B2 will be the first to receive an update and it wil be huge and it will certainly include the GUI options PBJ has and also will make it part of their eco-system - and going by their current silence that's been prevalent for a while, I bet it'll come out pretty soonish. I could of course be totally wrong, but I doubt it. B2 is their product which is closest to Breeze - by a mile - and since I am sure that both share a good amount of code it would just make so much sense.
Yeah that’s what andrew said…
In 2018 or so :?
I might rebuy them if they bring them up to speed, but i.e preset sorting bug on mac from ~2016 was never fixed, nor were they ever updated to HiDPI graphics like Breeze.

Also you’re right - breeze1 was a single engine B2 spinoff, but breeze2 doesn’t have that much more in common anymore

I highly doubt that they don't have much in common anymore. I don't assume that is an actual rewrite, rather than an improvement. Even though they improved the CPU efficiency for V2, the basic engine /architecture seems to have stayed the same - and thus Breze 2 still shares a lot of the same parameters with B2.

I hope you’re right - i’ll likely rebuy it if it gets updated

OK i'll have to try the demo of B2. Cheers guys.

Well on most of the special effect patches it uses 50% of my CPU so probably a no for me at this time.

What CPU do you have? And what host do you test it with? This doesn't seem quite right to me.

I'm on my weak convertible right now, but here Collosus for instance (one of the most CPU heavy patches, I think) uses less than 3% - that's of the total though, so in Studio One's (which reports per core) CPU useage peaks @23% (it's a 4C/8T CPU) - meaning it could run around 30 instances of B2 with the unaltered Collosus patch.

But in the case of this patch, Density is set to extreme on both engines - switch it to high for both and the CPU useage is almost halved.

It's a 3.2Ghz 4 core i5 but it is a second hand Dell probably not optimised for audio work. Tested with Bitwig, my "50%" was an estimation, it looks about half way of the CPU graphic. I'll try Collosus and report back.

Return to “Effects”