Waves release CLA Nx , Chris Lord-Alge's studio via headphones

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Waves have released the CLA virtual studio, the CLA Nx.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/cla-nx#in ... headphones

I've always liked and use the CLA versions of the compressors etc, and some of the effect plugins, so seemed like a decent no brainer at $29.99

I just hope they add more headphone profiles as mine isn't on there but morphit before it in the chain solves that.

First impressions are that its actually pretty decent for mixing down with. And the three reference monitors , a NS10 version just for him, some farfield monitors and a boombox, which I really like the idea of and saves rendering and going out the car all the time ;)

Thoughts ?
Last edited by LeVzi on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Awesome! I'll test it this weekend. I like CLA and his work and I can't wait to try and hear what he hears in his studio :)
So now all we need is our own personal CLA and we will have everything :D

pixel85 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 pm Awesome! I'll test it this weekend. I like CLA and his work and I can't wait to try and hear what he hears in his studio :)
I'd love to have his ears and understanding, I've always like CLA a attitude to mixing

LeVzi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:03 pmI just hope they add more headphone profiles as mine isn't on there but morphit before it in the chain solves that.
The headphones correction must be the last thing in your chain, the closest to your headphones.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Interesting. Glad this exists. Probably won't be buying it because I'm committed to the Ocean Way version, and I'm likewise committed to not buying Waves unless it's something I'm planning to use a lot.

Here we go again :D

I found the list of supported headphones for EQ correction. It’s pretty limited:

www.waves.com/support/nx-headphone-eq-correction

waves.com/support/nx-headphone-eq-correction
Copy & paste if you get a /prf.hn/ link tracking(?!) error. Shady shit, Wavės.
Last edited by jamcat on Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

standalone wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:16 pm
LeVzi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:03 pmI just hope they add more headphone profiles as mine isn't on there but morphit before it in the chain solves that.
The headphones correction must be the last thing in your chain, the closest to your headphones.
I thought it had to go first, so that everything after was heard with a flat response ?

jamcat wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 am I found the list of supported headphones for EQ correction. It’s pretty limited:

waves.com/support/nx-headphone-eq-correction

Copy & paste if you get a /prf.hn/ link tracking(?!) error. Shady shit, Waves.
I contacted them about that, and they are going to add more but there is no timeframe for this.

As I said before, I will use Morphit with it until they add my headphones and even then I will probably stick with it anyway, I trust it.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:03 pm First impressions are that its actually pretty decent for mixing down with. And the three reference monitors , a NS10 version just for him, some farfield monitors and a boombox, which I really like the idea of and saves rendering and going out the car all the time ;)

Thoughts ?
I'll pick this up. The OWS and Abbey Road are both really good. OWS maybe slight better overall? They really add a room vibe.

I follow this with Crave EQ, which has lots of bands, to correct my beyerdynamic 1990, with an Oratory correction curve.

The combination of the two works really well. Get a much better feel for where the bass sits in a real space, and with really good results.

Switching between different speaker sets can also really highlight any thing that 'sticks out' or might disappear in a mix.

I hope they bring something where you can mix 'rooms' across the different products.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:44 pm
pixel85 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 pm Awesome! I'll test it this weekend. I like CLA and his work and I can't wait to try and hear what he hears in his studio :)
I'd love to have his ears and understanding, I've always like CLA a attitude to mixing
Me to. I'm just ignoring his ignorance in his advices that not everyone is working with perfect sessions recorded by amazingly skilled engineers ;)
Beside that I love mixes he did in 80s. Usually when I hear a track and I love the mix, later I'm finding him in credits :)

LeVzi wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:32 am
I thought it had to go first, so that everything after was heard with a flat response ?
No, it's better to put it last in the chain:
https://www.sonarworks.com/support/soun ... in-my-DAW-
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

LeVzi wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:32 am
You want the room sound to be done on the actual audio. Then final stage correct for headphone curve.

If the room multiplied a bump from the headphone corrections it might over egg something.

In reality there may not be a huge difference, but ideally headphone correction would be the very last thing just to correct the final outgoing signal.

Yeah Jeroen at Toneboosters said the same, and said its an idea to put Morphit after the CLA Nx , which I will do.

Looking forward to my next Mixdown :) See how we go.

I have to admit, this is an awesome plugin for reference, I did some mixdowns today and they sound way better than the original ones I did for the same tracks. I wasn't getting the low end right, and tbh jumping between the NS10 and the far fields ,really gives you a sense of what you are trying to achieve in cans and a dancefloor.

So glad I got it. Combined with Morphit from Toneboosters to flatten out my headphones, I'm really pleased.

Return to “Effects”