A Completely Upgradeable Laptop?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

This looks great. The prices, particularly for the DIY versions, are not bad either, especially for the more "premium" segment. Hopefully they'll have AMD versions later on. Hope they do well. I don't really need a laptop upgrade at the moment, but assuming they do well enough to still be around when I need one in a couple of years, they'll probably be my first choice.

There are plenty of upgradable laptops around. Most gaming laptops are upgradeable. I've upgraded the RAM and both drives in my Dell G7 and doing so hasn't voided my warranty. This takes things way further than I think most people would be interested in.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:34 am There are plenty of upgradable laptops around. Most gaming laptops are upgradeable. I've upgraded the RAM and both drives in my Dell G7 and doing so hasn't voided my warranty. This takes things way further than I think most people would be interested in.
For me too. Express card slot expansion used, upgraded RAM, removed CD ROM and added an extra SSD drive.

Do modern laptops have CD ROMS and the ability to add a second SSD or HDD?
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

My 2019 gaming laptop has two drives - one is in an SSD slot, the other is in a 2.5" bay you can put either type of drive into. I haven't seen a laptop with an optical drive for years.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:34 am There are plenty of upgradable laptops around. Most gaming laptops are upgradeable. I've upgraded the RAM and both drives in my Dell G7 and doing so hasn't voided my warranty. This takes things way further than I think most people would be interested in.
That's true for gaming laptops. Unfortunately a lot of people will refuse to buy one simply because it's thick/heavy. For the more mainstream slim/ultrabook types, upgradeable RAM is becoming a rarity. A lot of those that are upgradeable only have one slot, with the rest of the RAM soldered. Some don't even have upgradeable storage anymore.

Not all gaming laptops are thick or heavy. Even my non-gaming new Asus Zenbook Duo has upgradeable RAM, I think, and I could probably swap out the drive for a bigger one, too.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”