Aether or B2, why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could be a 3470, a 4570, a 6500 or I don't know what else... but each of these three is rather old, so you'd perhaps be better of investing in a new machine than new plugins...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Yeah it's using about 40% of Collosus. It's spiking a bit when i change presets. I have Xenoverb which is pretty horrendous on my CPU too. I think "half" is a slight exaggeration, the spiking was altering my overall perception of CPU use. I'm still considering B2 because i do like it and approx £50 seems a bargain and it does seem solid and i will be getting a better computer sometime hopefully not too distant.

3470 mate

I would be saving for 5950x but afaik they're still unavailable in UK unless i buy a pre-built.

The 5950x is about ten times as powerful as your 3470 - perhaps something somewhere in between might suffice? :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I used to run B2 quite happily on my quad-core i5 2310 under EnergyXT2 (32-bit version)

jens wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 pm What CPU do you have? And what host do you test it with? This doesn't seem quite right to me.

I'm on my weak convertible right now, but here Collosus for instance (one of the most CPU heavy patches, I think) uses less than 3% - that's of the total though, so in Studio One's (which reports per core) CPU useage peaks @23% (it's a 4C/8T CPU) - meaning it could run around 30 instances of B2 with the unaltered Collosus patch.

But in the case of this patch, Density is set to extreme on both engines - switch it to high for both and the CPU useage is almost halved.
You wont be able to do 30 instances on a quad in real life

jens wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:51 pm The 5950x is about ten times as powerful as your 3470 - perhaps something somewhere in between might suffice? :lol:
like what? I need a much more powerful computer.

It depends on the current prices for your region... a R5 3600 for instance has about 4x the power as your 3470... an 3600x still has slightly more, but it's not really worth a lot more money imo...

You can rely on both passmark and geekbench results to check out the capability of any given CPU - in my experience these ratings translate to plugin count quite well...

there wil always be a sweet-spot, above which paying slightly more won't give you a significant increase in CPU power and you'd have to pay a lot more to get not so much more...

and the newer higher end CPUs will typically have a bad VFM ratio.

And another thing is: the more you pay, the less willing you'll probably be to part with it in the future - good for the environment though.

jens wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 am
and the newer higher end CPUs will typically have a bad VFM ratio.

And another thing is: the more you pay, the less willing you'll probably be to part with it in the future - good for the environment though.
Thanks.

I thought i'll just get the 5950x then i'll have the best available and it should set me up for about 10 years. I figured if i can save for 5900 then i can save another £400 to get 5950x. My mate offered to build it for me.
Last edited by Spring Goose on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

This 3470 was just a temporary solution, only cost about £100. Hopefully it will last for a year.

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:41 am I thought i'll just get the 5950x then i'll have the best available and it should set me up for about 10 years.
That's what I mean - in ten years it'll be a proper clunker regardless... but you'll hold on to it because you paid so much for it. (In ten years it'll all be ARM anyway most likely...)

3700x might be a good option too b.t.w. ...

jens wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:19 am 3700x might be a good option too b.t.w. ...
I'll have a look mate. Thanks

My pleasure.

Return to “Effects”