Does anyone use an M1 machine full time?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought an M1 Mac mini the moment it came out however due to some plugin companies dragging their feet on compatibility (mainly Native Instruments) I haven’t really used it for music.

Has anyone been using an M1 machine as their main music making device? If so, how well does Rosetta work for your plugins in general (especially NI)?
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I use it full time. I don’t use many plugins. In my experience all works fine with small glitches here and there.

Omnisphere and keyscape are working great. Izotop ozon 9 and neutron 3 works fine. Valhalla stuff works great.

NI komplete 13ce works fine in most cases, but has some glitches and cpu spikes in some plugins.

DAWs
Logic Pro works great
Bitwig 4 works great
Studio One 5 works fine
Cubase 11 works fine
Live 11 have worst performance on m1
FL studio 20.9beta works great

Serhii Kot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:04 am I use it full time. I don’t use many plugins. In my experience all works fine with small glitches here and there.

Omnisphere and keyscape are working great. Izotop ozon 9 and neutron 3 works fine. Valhalla stuff works great.

NI komplete 13ce works fine in most cases, but has some glitches and cpu spikes in some plugins.

DAWs
Logic Pro works great
Bitwig 4 works great
Studio One 5 works fine
Cubase 11 works fine
FL studio 20.9beta works great
Good to know, thanks for the reply.

Here's a compatibility list for the NI plugins: https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... 1-Big-Sur-

Yep. I've slowly moved off my iMac over the last few months. I think Kontakt 5 is the only thing that is unuseable at this point. And native builds from KV331 are still in the pipeline.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I also have the M1 Mac Mini as my main music computer since December. It took around two weeks to migrate, update, re install, troubleshoot etc. I have around 1800 - FX and Synths - that are all working apart from MassiveX/XILS 4 - although XILS 3 works - and a couple of FX plugins. The synths that don’t work as AU plugins work in Unify as VST’s.
Troubleshooting that amount of plugins was a pain in the you know what but in the end worth it.
Happy camper:)

Serhii Kot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:04 am DAWs
Logic Pro works great

Ouch! :(

Hopefully Live 11 M1 news arrive until the end of 2021.

Or else is goodbye Live, welcome Logic.

My MBAM1 arrives tomorrow, so I'll report back.

kelvyn wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:27 pm I also have the M1 Mac Mini as my main music computer since December. It took around two weeks to migrate, update, re install, troubleshoot etc. I have around 1800 - FX and Synths - that are all working apart from MassiveX/XILS 4 - although XILS 3 works - and a couple of FX plugins. The synths that don’t work as AU plugins work in Unify as VST’s.
Troubleshooting that amount of plugins was a pain in the you know what but in the end worth it.
Happy camper:)
Wow, that’s a lot of plugins. Sounds like it’s safe to switch then :)

I've had some issues with migrating software, but nothing that couldn't be figured out by a technophobe like myself. IK presets didn't make it upon installation, I had to get the folder from my iMac and switch it out with the empty TrackS and A4 preset folders. Managed to get Omnisphere I running, which I am happy about. I don't use it enough to upgrade right now, and I paid €440 for it new. Have VSL Instruments Pro and 3 SEs running like it's nothing. Scuffham Amps has a native beta that I'm currently using, and it is very cool. I have to upgrade to Kontakt 6, then I will have my Soniccouture stuff and Ethno Voices and Instruments. So far, loss has been minimal in terms of music stuff. Better than I expected, actually, which I am pleased about. And the M1 handles what is thrown at it. Maybe a couple of degrees above RT. Haven't heard the fan yet.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:53 pm I've had some issues with migrating software, but nothing that couldn't be figured out by a technophobe like myself. IK presets didn't make it upon installation, I had to get the folder from my iMac and switch it out with the empty TrackS and A4 preset folders. Managed to get Omnisphere I running, which I am happy about. I don't use it enough to upgrade right now, and I paid €440 for it new. Have VSL Instruments Pro and 3 SEs running like it's nothing. Scuffham Amps has a native beta that I'm currently using, and it is very cool. I have to upgrade to Kontakt 6, then I will have my Soniccouture stuff and Ethno Voices and Instruments. So far, loss has been minimal in terms of music stuff. Better than I expected, actually, which I am pleased about. And the M1 handles what is thrown at it. Maybe a couple of degrees above RT. Haven't heard the fan yet.
That’s good news, sounds like there are very few downsides to switching.

Just working with a template for native stuff only. Running very nicely with Hive 2, Alchemy, and Logic's 'Drummer.'Gonna see if I can come up with something entirely done with native plugs that tests my system. I've kinda committed to getting Omni 2 at this point because it will run natively. I mostly use TrackS for fx, but I can work with Logic's stuff which is optimized. Not holding my breath for IK to come with ARM native anytime soon.
Running on a 32" 4k monitor is just fecking luxury.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I’m using M1 Mac mini with NI Kompete, Cubase Pro, Live, Reason and Logic and with Arturia, Korg, Roland Cloud and countless other software without any issues.
All apps run faster/better on my m1 Mini than on my 2018 iMac i7😀

I have been using a MacBook Pro since December. But I also got a thunderbolt docking station and most of the time use it like a regular mac. Works great.
Sold my Core i9 9900K based PC for almost the same money I paid for it almost 3 years ago. Haven't regretted this decision yet. :)
void main(dumb)

It loads my VSL Instruments Pro template instantaneously after the dongle reads the licences. On my iMac, it could take up to 30 secs+. Instantaneously? An Intel app? All samples are on the Mini.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”