Tracking Apple Silicon Native Hosts, Plugins, Effects

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Roland Cloud AUs are now compatible (except for Essentials).

https://www.roland.com/global/support/s ... lang=en-JM

wvshpr wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:15 am Roland Cloud AUs are now compatible (except for Essentials).

https://www.roland.com/global/support/s ... lang=en-JM
AU only again. Jackasses. Let me guess. "Bitwig is not a supported DAW for Roland Cloud instruments."

teilo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:03 pm AU only again. Jackasses. Let me guess. "Bitwig is not a supported DAW for Roland Cloud instruments."
Annoying indeed. Especially if they do not give a time horizon for the VSTs (and AAX).

Tritik Irid is native as of the most recent version

My expectations for a 2021 release of AS native iLok is rapidly diminishing. Unless I missed something their site still doesn't mention anything about it, not even with an expected year or general roadmap. We've heard so little, even from the devs themselves, which leads me to think they're either under NDA and can't discuss it or are mostly in the dark as much as we are.

Tronam wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm My expectations for a 2021 release of AS native iLok is rapidly diminishing. Unless I missed something their site still doesn't mention anything about it, not even with an expected year or general roadmap. We've heard so little, even from the devs themselves, which leads me to think they're either under NDA and can't discuss it or are mostly in the dark as much as we are.
The only thing I have seen has been on other news sites. No source is referenced. This is the most common one: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... compatible

There is no question that they will release a native version of iLok. They don't have a choice. I suspect that they are planning the release for when the M1X machines are out, because that's when the flood of producers upgrading their machines will start.

But let's get real: If iLok plugins are working really great on the M1 under Rosetta2, they will work even better on the M1X, and be at least on par with the best equivalent Intel Macs (and most of the time substantially faster). So other than us fanboys wanting to scratch an itch … is it really that big a deal?

The only plugins that suffer are those that rely on AVX instructions, which cannot be translated to Neon. There are just not that many of those out there. What I'm really hoping to see is frameworks like JUICE adopting a layer that will translate matrix instructions either to AVX on Intel, or utilize the M1's secret AMX coprocessor via Apple's Accelerate framework. AMX is twice as fast as Neon, but you cannot access it directly due to Arm wishing to limit CPU extensions to private interfaces.

Discovery Pro 7.3 update is offering full native M1 support for VST, AU, VST3 and Standalone. AAX isn't possible yet, that's up to Avid as most of you already know.

Audiorealism ABL 3 version 3.30 offers now M1 native support.
https://www.audiorealism.se/news

All the Overloud Gem plug-ins have now a native Apple Silicon support:

https://www.overloud.com/news/all-gem-p ... ee-upgrade

teilo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:02 pm
Tronam wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm My expectations for a 2021 release of AS native iLok is rapidly diminishing. Unless I missed something their site still doesn't mention anything about it, not even with an expected year or general roadmap. We've heard so little, even from the devs themselves, which leads me to think they're either under NDA and can't discuss it or are mostly in the dark as much as we are.
The only thing I have seen has been on other news sites. No source is referenced. This is the most common one: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... compatible

There is no question that they will release a native version of iLok. They don't have a choice. I suspect that they are planning the release for when the M1X machines are out, because that's when the flood of producers upgrading their machines will start.

But let's get real: If iLok plugins are working really great on the M1 under Rosetta2, they will work even better on the M1X, and be at least on par with the best equivalent Intel Macs (and most of the time substantially faster). So other than us fanboys wanting to scratch an itch … is it really that big a deal?

The only plugins that suffer are those that rely on AVX instructions, which cannot be translated to Neon. There are just not that many of those out there. What I'm really hoping to see is frameworks like JUICE adopting a layer that will translate matrix instructions either to AVX on Intel, or utilize the M1's secret AMX coprocessor via Apple's Accelerate framework. AMX is twice as fast as Neon, but you cannot access it directly due to Arm wishing to limit CPU extensions to private interfaces.
They run relatively well, but I do see random crashes when many are loaded/unloaded at a time or doing in-slot plugin replacement. My main gripe is how many dozens of developers are essentially stuck treading water right now because of the holdup, including Avid. It's been more than a year now since the original dev kits were sent out and iLok's communication has been almost non-existent, which is a little odd for a company responsible for such a core service that so many other companies depend on.

Tronam wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:26 pmIf iLok plugins are working really great on the M1 under Rosetta2, they will work even better on the M1X, and be at least on par with the best equivalent Intel Macs (and most of the time substantially faster).
Right now native M1 plugins with a proper port (including translating AVX/SSE x86 to NEON ARM) perform better than with any Intel chip.

I'd expect 30-50% performance boost per core on the next Apple Silicon generation, leaving any x86 way behind.

discoDSP wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:44 pm I'd expect 30-50% performance boost per core on the next Apple Silicon generation, leaving any x86 way behind.
You mean the one coming in a few weeks (M1X) or something like a later M2?

I don't expect a per-core performance boost on that order, either in the M1X or the M2. Early in Apple Silicon's iteration, we saw significant per-core boosts, but we are at the point of diminishing returns.

The M1 is only the latest in a long line of Apple-designed ARM chips, and the curve has already been tapering for quite a while. Prior to the M1, Apple Silicon was already beating Intel on performance per watt, but no one saw this as a threat to Intel and AMD because it was in an iPad. The M1 brought the reality home, but it was only about 9% faster, per core, than the 14 Bionic, and some of that was due to the higher clock rate.

There will be some boosts from more efficient designs, improvements to memory architecture, etc., but for the most part, expect most performance gains to come from higher clock rates and more cores.

Based on plausible leaks, the M1X is going to approximately double multi-core performance by moving from 4/4 (firestorm/icestorm) to 8/4, likely with a small clock boost. The M2 will likely start as a more performant version of the M1, for the new Air, with an M2X to follow for the Pro line. But I'm not waiting for the M2 line. I'm jumping in as soon as the new MB Pros are released.

Hey Tello,
Maybe it’s time to update your locked database with new M1 arrivals 😉
Last update on 17th of July… Otherwise, open it up, so we can do it for you…

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:34 am Hey Tello,
Maybe it’s time to update your locked database with new M1 arrivals 😉
Last update on 17th of July… Otherwise, open it up, so we can do it for you…
There's always at least one...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”