Favorite versatile reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:05 pm After much resisting, I finally succumbed to a great deal on FabFilter Pro-R. Finally done with reverbs.
169 Euro for me. Well, I pass...

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:39 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:05 pm After much resisting, I finally succumbed to a great deal on FabFilter Pro-R. Finally done with reverbs.
That’s the full price

I think 25% only works if you already own something Fabfilter?

At that price it makes more sense to get essential for 254€

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:29 pm
What great deal?

Second hand. Got an even better deal than my in-account sale price here on KVR. :)

I already owned Pro-Q 3, Pro-C 2, and Pro-L 2. With Pro-R, I think I am done with my FabFilter collection. While it would be nice to have one or two more (Saturn 2 and Timeless 3 in particular), I don't fancy using any other FabFilter plugins as much.

In total, I have paid a little over $400 for these 4 plugins now. While it seems a bit expensive, I genuinely love these plugins and use them (Pro-R being new of course), bought them over last 3 years, and each is a separate license so I have full control if I need to let go any one of them at any point (not that I would ever want to).

Ploki wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:39 pm
That’s the full price

I think 25% only works if you already own something Fabfilter?

At that price it makes more sense to get essential for 254€
Exactly.

If you are starting out and 100% sure you will use them, get FabFilter Essential Bundle first. For $300, it is a fantastic deal right now. Then, buy Pro-L 2 if you are like me. The advantage is Pro-L 2 (or any other plugin for that matter) price will have a great discount in the account, even more during these 25% off sales.

The only downside with bundles is you cannot sell individual plugins in case you feel you don't like/use it much.

For Pro-R, I see people keep mentioning shiny/plastic-y top end, phasing issues, etc. Not sure I notice that to the extent of it bothering me, but any tips on how to best tame such things or in general, especially the decay graph? Guess EQ is just a normal EQ for processing the reverb signal with low cut and high cut for example, as is typical when using reverbs.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:49 am For Pro-R, I see people keep mentioning shiny/plastic-y top end, phasing issues, etc.
i wonder whether the phasey thing is to do with the main eq.

some of the presets have really steep lo-cut filters on them. There's a "horns studio" preset with a 48db lo-cut filter on it. put something with a lot of bass through that and it's gonna sound phasey. something a bit more gentle takes that away.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:01 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:49 am For Pro-R, I see people keep mentioning shiny/plastic-y top end, phasing issues, etc.
i wonder whether the phasey thing is to do with the main eq.

some of the presets have really steep lo-cut filters on them. There's a "horns studio" preset with a 48db lo-cut filter on it. put something with a lot of bass through that and it's gonna sound phasey. something a bit more gentle takes that away.
Good point. I will check this out shortly.

Its a very flexible reverb, great GUI (PRO-R).
You can tweak it with lots of control to get what you want.
I like it on acoustic instruments.

I don't want to buy another reverb really but I am very impressed by VerbSuite Classics by Slate Digital. I know it was on sale for $49 recently but I couldn't buy is as it needs iLok dongle, which I don't have or want to buy. I wonder what is the closest "non-iLok dongle" alternative to it. Perhaps sometimes from LiquidSonics themselves? But I believe they don't have iLok machine activation, which is kinda must for me if iLok-based. Any other reverbs?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:50 pmPerhaps sometimes from LiquidSonics themselves? But I believe they don't have iLok machine activation, ...?
LiquidSonics: "Since late June 2021 all cloud-capable licenses can also support iLok machine activations but require plug-in versions v1.3.4 or above."

Etienne1973 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:04 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:50 pmPerhaps sometimes from LiquidSonics themselves? But I believe they don't have iLok machine activation, ...?
LiquidSonics: "Since late June 2021 all cloud-capable licenses can also support iLok machine activations but require plug-in versions v1.3.4 or above."
I was also under the impression that the Slate/LiquidSonics collab requires a physical dongle. Would love to be wrong on this.

Thanks for the information. So, what reverb from them if not VerbSuite Classics is the question now as Slate website says it needs iLok2/3 dongle.

Seventh Heaven probably?

I also wonder if NI RC24 and RC48 could be comparable here.
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:47 am
I was also under the impression that the Slate/LiquidSonics collab requires a physical dongle. Would love to be wrong on this.
I think that's still true for VerbSuite Classics, unfortunately. Can anyone confirm this for us?

Slate Digital: "iLok Cloud is available to all All Access Pass members. Perpetual users need to have an iLok 2 or an iLok 3 to use Slate Digital plugins."

Reverberate 3 by LiquidSonics? Same technology like VerbSuite Classics. But not as many Fusion-IR packs. R3 comes so far with Lexicon 224X, Lexicon 480L, Lexicon PCM91 and Bricasti M7.

Thanks. After spending a few minutes looking at LiquidSonics website, I decided to avoid them. Don't need any those reverbs. I will stick to RC24 and RC48 for this type. However, if in future Slate Digital VerbSuite Classics goes dongle-less and is available again for $49, I may consider buying it.

Return to “Effects”