Nothing approaches IK Tape BUT it hates my computer! Alternatives? SOLVED!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
3187 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Check out Tape Face, it’s getting a lot of comparisons to IK Tape on Gearslutz.

KVRist
140 posts since 7 Nov, 2002

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:58 pm

jamcat wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:55 pm
nonstatic wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:44 pm
IK tape uses dynamic convolution
I don't think that is correct. I believe it uses a hybrid of convolution and algorithmic DSP. Convolution imparts the "character" and an algorithm provides the dynamic saturation and other non-linearities.
It literally says "dynamic convolution engine" on the product homepage. In the case of a tape machine, normal convolution would not provide anything beyond a static EQ curve, which would be a single wav file and not justify the amount of disk space needed for this plugin. There would be no reason to implement standard convo since one can easily replicate a static EQ curve with code.

There could still be some DSP happening as you suggest, but this would be in addition to dynamic convolution, not standard convolution. Just sayin.

KVRAF
4423 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:00 am

jamcat wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:55 pm
nonstatic wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:44 pm
IK tape uses dynamic convolution
I don't think that is correct. I believe it uses a hybrid of convolution and algorithmic DSP. Convolution imparts the "character" and an algorithm provides the dynamic saturation and other non-linearities.
It says so on the sticker tho.
Also i’d be hardpressed to call FIR filter “character” (because that’s what you get from a a static IR - a filter)

KVRian
676 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:24 am

simmo75 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 pm
Check out Tape Face, it’s getting a lot of comparisons to IK Tape on Gearslutz.
It's a good plugin, I bought it. It's definitely not IK Tape level though.

I wonder, did OP actually try out Chow Tape before buying softube? It's pretty damn good and free.

Return to “Effects”